• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Greetings from beautiful New Mexico, USA

Doug Kerr

On 2012.03.15, we relocated our home from Weatherford, Texas to Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA, in The Land of Enchantment.

As many of you know from earlier notes, the change was driven by a desire to reduce our cost of home ownership and operation. This suggested moving to a smaller and less costly house in an area of lower property tax rates. Having decided to undertake such a daunting project, we concluded that we would rather not live in Texas, but rather in New Mexico.

An evaluation of various factors, including tax rates, climate, and topographical setting (we really like living in the shadow of a serious mountain range) led us to focus on Alamogordo, a city of about 30,000 population located in southern New Mexico (about 90 miles northeast of El Paso, Texas), a town that first came into general note when, in 1945, it was described as the location of the first nuclear bomb detonation (Ground Zero was actually about 60 miles away, but Alamogordo was the nearest city of notable size).

It is located between the famous White Sands dune field and the foothills of the Sacramento Mountains, at an elevation of about 4400 feet (downtown). It is the company town for the White Sands Missile Test Range, Holloman Air Force Base, and the German Air Force advanced flight training school. (Why is that in New Mexico? Man, the weather is so much better than in Germany!)

During a visit in January of 2012 we confirmed that this was where we wanted to be and entered into a contract to buy a lovely home, indeed nestled in the foothills.

There subsequently ensued a frantic project to thin out our belongings and pack for the move, mostly masterminded by Carla.

The house has 60% the rated floor space of the previous house, so in fact "downsizing" is a serious fact. The basic guideline for the preparation was to take only 2/3 of the stuff, and shed the excess after we arrived.

On Thursday, 2012.03.15, two 26-foot box trucks with elevator gates took our stuff westward. (The best route is over a mountain pass, and a 53-foot trailer rig would not be allowed.) And here we are.

Of course getting established is a gigantic task, which moves forward from day to day. But I won't bore you (just now) with the details of that!

We are in any case delighted to be here.

Here we see the house itself:

3102_F31558-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: 3102 Thunder Road, Alamogordo, New Mexico

This view is nearly to the south.

The leftmost window in the front is my office; the rightmost, Carla's office.

The concrete bench in the front is evocative of a pig. This is the third house he has graced.

The elevation there is about 4575 ft MSL.

Yes, I have a smudge on the sensor of my EOS 40D.

Here is a view generally eastward on our street, toward the mountains:

3102_F31554-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Where the desert meets the mountains

The eastern city limits are at about the water tank seen in the picture, 1/4 mile east of our home. The Lincoln National Forest starts there, and the foothills of the Sacramento Mountains begin to turn up at that point.

Here is a view westward on our street, toward downtown:

3102_F31560-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Overlooking Alamogordo to the White Sands

The view overlooks the city proper, and the white band is the White Sands Dune Field, a couple of miles west of town.

This is a view from the back yard, nearly to the southeast:

3102_F31542-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: The Sacramento Mountains from the back yard

The "A" is courtesy of the students of Alamogordo High School.

This is a view of some of the homes actually up in the foothills (further along our street, in fact):

3102_F31559-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Serious mountain living

When the street finally comes to an end, the elevation is almost precisely one mile MSL.

Well, more later - I have to attend to numerous plumbing and electrical challenges, hang some pictures, etc. etc.!

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

The entire area abounds in striking mountains. Here we see Sierra Blanca Peak, about 30 miles north-northeast of Alamogordo (we can't see it from the house as it is blocked by our own mountains).

Sierra_Blanca_G03731-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Sierra Blanca Peak, New Mexico

The summit is at 11,980 ft MSL (3652 m MSL).

This was shot through the car windshield while parked at the side of US 54 north of downtown Alamogordo, so there are some reflection artifacts.

Best regards,

Doug

Michael Nagel

Doug and Carla,

good to see that you start feeling home where you are now. I hope that this 'feeling home' will get stronger each day.

After unpacking there is the next joy waiting for you: Explore what is around. There are often small, less known places that bear unexpected pleasure.

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

Doug, we wish you and Carla a long and happy future in your new home.

Someone would sure love those mountains!!

Best regards.

Hi Doug and Carla,

Happy landing. I can imagine it's quite a challenging undertaking, but you seem to cope well. Do take your time to get settled.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

The Sacramento Mountains are a fascinating work of art. They are almost wholly composed of limestone of various sorts. Their geological history has resulted in a clearly-visible laminar structure, with striations that each have their own lateral detail. I hope to be able to soon publish a series of photographs of the many fascinating features to be seen in the region.

As you know, this work is somewhat interfered with by the necessities of finalizing our new residence. Yesterday, for example, was largely devoted to repairing, refurbishing, replacing, and upgrading various domestic faucets and (in where applicable) the stop valves supporting them. (This project should complete today.) The scope of this need in fact comes from the limestone nature of the Sacramentos, which results in the local water supply containing extreme concentrations of calcium salts (i.e., the water is very "hard"). The precipitates of these salts are insoluble in water.

The result is that the interior of any water handling device becomes so infested with precipitated calcium-based deposits that it resembles the Bat Cave (the local nickname for nearby Carlsbad Caverns).

We in fact this week will be installing an ion-exchange water softening system, which replaces the calcium (and magnesium) ions with sodium ions (the precipitates of which are soluble). Then, for "sensitive water" (for making coffee, etc.), this will be followed by a reverse osmosis system, which strips out the sodium ions (and many other impurities, including miscellaneous metallic ions). All that is flushed into the sewer (resulting in a substantial waste of water, I'm afraid).

But back to the mountains. For the moment, here is one shot that gives some inkling of the interesting structures to be seen:

3102_F31537-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Prominence in the Sacramento Mountains

This is seen from our front door.

Best regards,

Doug

Congratulations on the relocation, Doug. Prominence in the Sacramento Mountains is an inspiration. Your comments about reverse osmosis reminded me of my folks when they lived in a Mojave graben somewhat close to 29 Palms California. Drinking water was available, one just had to wait for it.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Congratulations on the relocation, Doug. Prominence in the Sacramento Mountains is an inspiration. Your comments about reverse osmosis reminded me of my folks when they lived in a Mojave graben somewhat close to 29 Palms California. Drinking water was available, one just had to wait for it.
Yes, this RO machine generates up to about 18 gallons of improved water per day. It has a small bladder-type storage tank so that modest amounts can be drawn quickly (if infrequently).

Best regards,

Doug