• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographic Gems of Our Times From The Web Manhattan Time Lapse

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am impressed with the work of photographer Josh Owens. Not that time lapse is original, but doing it with gear we mostly own is so interesting.

5DII video 2.jpg

5DII video 1.jpg

"With the help of a Canon 5D MKII, two Canon 7D‘s, a 16-35mm 2.8L lens, and the 24mm TS lens – Rochester, New York based photographer, Josh Owens edited together a four minute time lapse of New York City. Owens was able to secure prime vantage points at 12 hotels and various other Manhattan locations to create the film."

"Only a short segment of the footage was captured on the 7D, with over 95% of the time lapse film done on the Canon 5D MKII. Owens says he was able to achieve the motion blur during daylight hours, “using Neutral Density filters which limit the amount of light that hits the sensor allowing you to use longer shutter speeds.” All of the editing was done in Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Affter Effects, taking over two hours to render the footage at 1080."

Look at the movie here.

What other work have you seen like this with cameras we own?

Asher

Last edited:
This reminded me of the almost 30 year old film, Koyaanisquatsi, Asher. It is good to know what is possible with today's digital cameras.

Jerome Marot

This reminded me of the almost 30 year old film, Koyaanisquatsi, Asher. It is good to know what is possible with today's digital cameras.

With the unmistakable music from Philip Glass...

BTW: if you type the name as it is actually written (Koyaanisqatsi, without "u") in google, you'll find the movie on vimeo (download possible). Still, I suggest you get the DVD instead, the quality is better.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Tom,

That movie seems so up to date!

Lifeoutofbalance.jpg

I had to take this screenshot in order to recognize that there were people not chicks in a poultry factory, being processed. Then I realized how smart the film maker was!

Asher