• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Things of my childhood I no longer see!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Gradually in the second half of the 20th Century many things vanished! Do you have pictures of any?

A lot of common objects are already distant memories. Their absence reflects growth in our understanding of ourselves and technical advances. See share any pictures you might have of typical things that have simply disappeared from our lives!

I have made my list and discovered images to go with them. I have assumed that we exercise the rights of commentary under the Fair Use Doctrine and all the images remain the © of their respective owners, whether or not we have determined the origin.

Ink pens, with wooden handles like a paint brush and steel nibs that would break and splatter the ink!

All student desks had with built-in ink wells for the black ink!

il_570xN.783404810_7kr0.jpg

Source

Milkmen delivered milk in glass bottles outside my door every morning

In the winter, the bottles froze and the cream on the top lifted up the aluminum cap

Frozen Milk.jpg

Source

Milkman's wagons were pulled by a draught horse!

Milkcart1950.jpg

You must read the notes folk left to the milkman here

The horse left piles of poop in the street.

My garden depended on that for manure!

We had Robertson's Jam

1650631.jpg

c7d107a51191b028b9623ebce7c5ee52.jpg

Images on Google Search. Photographer not identified

Asher

Asher Kelman

and the kids in our home fought for the "Gollywog", a little prince of a fellow.

The smog in London was so great at times that one could not see one's feet!

article-2243732-1658F2C2000005DC-480_964x769.jpg

You MUST read more of the Daily Mail's collected pictures here.

Teachers could hit kids....and did!

cane_1356044c.jpg

Article on "Corporate Punishment" in Daily Telegraph and Source
Then look at the video hereand the two which immediately follow!

A bath for kids meant either a galvanized tub in the kitchen and mother boiling lots of saucepans of water or into the washing machine again!

Being gay just meant running around holding a ribbon of the maypole yelling for joy!

Picture use requested from here

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Ink pens, with wooden handles like a paint brush and steel nibs that would break and splatter the ink!

All student desks had with built-in ink wells for the black ink!

il_570xN.783404810_7kr0.jpg

Source

Just in the right place to receive the tip of the right pigtail of the girl at the desk just in front!

Milkmen delivered milk in glass bottles outside my door every morning

In the winter, the bottles froze and the cream on the top lifted up the aluminum cap

Frozen Milk.jpg

Source

Very progressive, the aluminium caps. For us, it was a thick cardboard "stopper".

That is an especially wonderful image, "as art", by the way.

All wonderful.

Thanks so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

How could I miss that.

Your picture is like a grandfather, sitting back and feflecting on all those years at work and paying union dues and getting the car to start in the winter!

Thanks, Michael!

A lot of memories with that great chap!

Asher

Last edited:

Dave Butcher

As I look at this post and the pictures it has drawn me back to my childhood. I grew up in St. Louis Country, Missouri in a little unincorporated portion of the County. The picture below shows guys from the little Volunteer Fire Protection District that covered our small area. The department did not have any fancy equipment, at the time they wore what are known as three quarter boot and long coats and most wore the old leather helmets or one like they wore in the TV show Emergency or as in the case of one a metal helmet like the old leather helmets. The day that this picture was taken my father who was part of the department was driving the Engine in the Parade I believe and in 1981 I would two weeks after my 18th birthday step up on the back step of that rig and respond on my first, but not my last fire call. What I miss from my childhood is the simple times and seeing the brothers riding the back step. although today where they ride is a hundred times safer. Pardon the photograph but I had to share it.

gfpd036-vi-L.jpg

Doug Kerr

During much of my childhood (from about the first grade through high school, ca. 1942-1953) the telephone set we had was a Western Electric 302B.

This one is from our personal collection:

WE-302B-E21611-01-S600.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Western Electric 302B telephone set

We see this one set up for exhibit in our museum with a reconstruction of the number card our telephone would have had during the earlier part that era (authentic in style for the period, and with our actual number then, BOulevard-5569).

We lived in Lakewood, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, and were served by the Ohio Bell Telephone Company's Cleveland-Lakewood central office.

After the conversion to 7-digit local numbering, the number became BOulevard 2-5569. Then, after the completion of the numbering plan realignment to provide for Direct Distance Dialing, the number became ACademy 6-5569.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

As I look at this post and the pictures it has drawn me back to my childhood. I grew up in St. Louis Country, Missouri in a little unincorporated portion of the County. The picture below shows guys from the little Volunteer Fire Protection District that covered our small area. The department did not have any fancy equipment, at the time they wore what are known as three quarter boot and long coats and most wore the old leather helmets or one like they wore in the TV show Emergency or as in the case of one a metal helmet like the old leather helmets. The day that this picture was taken my father who was part of the department was driving the Engine in the Parade I believe and in 1981 I would two weeks after my 18th birthday step up on the back step of that rig and respond on my first, but not my last fire call. What I miss from my childhood is the simple times and seeing the brothers riding the back step. although today where they ride is a hundred times safer. Pardon the photograph but I had to share it.

gfpd036-vi-L.jpg

The picture is wonderful, Dave. Great your family has had this tradition of public service. Now this is still a pretty modern machine. It's hardly extinct! See if you can identify what is missing from out daily lives that was common in childhood!!

Asher

James Lemon

[QUOTE=Asher Kelman;

I have assumed that we exercise the rights of commentary under the Fair Use Doctrine and all the images remain the © of their respective owners, whether or not we have determined the origin.

Asher

"Fair Use is basically the right to quote a small part of something, but is often misunderstood as a right to use anything if you don't make money on it. In the United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holder. It's almost impossible to "quote a photograph" so fair use of photographs is not really possible."

Dave Butcher

The picture is wonderful, Dave. Great your family has had this tradition of public service. Now this is still a pretty modern machine. It's hardly extinct! See if you can identify what is missing from out daily lives that was common in childhood!!

Asher

Thank you Asher, yes the fire rig is "fairly" modern and yes there are still departments through out the United States and South America that still use the Ford C Chassis for their rigs(it is sad that I know that information). They were in the 60's, 70's, and 80's the work horses of many fire departments. What I am saying that is extinct is the fire gear as you will notice one of the guys on the BackStep is wearing a pair of Three Quarter boots, which are now extinct except in a few cases like PIO Officers (Public Information Officers) also the thing that is extinct in the fire service is having the brothers ride on the back of the truck. That is what I was commenting on as being extinct. For me the fire service was very common in my life and I remember my father being on the backstep of that rig and of his wearing the same type of boot and my wearing the same type of boots. Most of the time you only see those boots in a museum.

One of the other things that is extinct from my day is the 8 track tape. I remember my father installing one in our car and recording tapes from records.

Credit goes to the original photographer.

The-grim-70s-and-Meat-Loaf-combo.jpg

Asher Kelman

Now your 8 track! That was a whole species of product which arose from nowhere, peaked and became extinct in just a few decades......and folk thought it was the latest and greatest in modern technology!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Now your 8 track! That was a whole species of product which arose from nowhere, peaked and became extinct in just a few decades......and folk thought it was the latest and greatest in modern technology!

But the 4-track player, which of course emerged earlier, stayed in use longer (as it was used in radio production).

Somewhat the same happened in small video recorders. Betamax came first, but was before long overtaken (for consumer use) by the VHS format. But the professional form of the Betamax format remained in use for TV production.

Of course, I used the Betamax format at home for a long time.

Best regards,

Doug