• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lost Female Photography

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These are intriguing. Not surprising such a lot of names were lost!

It could be that women were far more responsible for early advances in photography. Do you have any instances?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here is a list and an article.

You and Maggie Terlecki are some of the best researchers I know!

There was a movie, The Governess starring Minnie Driver. It told of of a UK photographer who's assistant, a female nannie, (with whom he had an affair), accidentally learned to fix the fragile and quick to fade photographic image with salt water, thus, making more permanent prints possible. I wonder if that "discovery" was based on fact?

Asher

Jerome Marot

You and Maggie Terlecki are some of the best researchers I know!

There was a movie, The Governess starring Minnie Driver. It told of of a UK photographer who's assistant, a female nannie, (with whom he had an affair), accidentally learned to fix the fragile and quick to fade photographic image with salt water, thus, making more permanent prints possible. I wonder if that "discovery" was based on fact?

That UK photographer would be Henry Fox Talbot, which process was indeed fixed with table salt. He indeed had a governess at the time the invention was done, Amélina Petit de Billier, which was a refugee from France. You will find her portrait here, but it is not said whether she assisted the invention or not.

Martin Evans

Julia Margaret Cameron is, of course, far from being a 'lost' female photographer. However, a packet of her prints came to light relatively recently. The V&A Museum in London's Kensington will shortly be exhibiting 100 of her photographs:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/page/j/julia-margaret-cameron/

The website states that the exhibition will run from 28th November until 21st February next year.

There is also a good article about Cameron's photography in the FT Weekend Magazine for October 24/25 2015, pp 26-30. It is written by Marta Weiss, curator of photographs at the V&A Museum. The article, dated 23 October, is online at:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d869fb4c-7834-11e5-a95a-27d368e1ddf7.html

However, the Financial Times does limit access to its online edition, so one may have to jump through hoops in order to read it online!

Martin