• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Wandering around the Longbeach Marina at Sunset

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I needed to escape and renew my enthusiasm for sailboats and all the ropes and cables involved with controlling sails!

First the early part of the setting sun passing empty berths. Surprising as 20 years ago there was a waiting list for a place to tie up one's yacht!! Are these better times or worse times?

Longbeach_Marina_Empty births sunset copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Empty Berths, Sunset

Longbeach Marina November 2016

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Now I have proceeded to the left, to the west where the boats are packed either side of a long, long warf. A wonder boats don't damage one another in a storm!

Marina Path amongst ships Sunset.jpg

Asher Kelman: Path between the berths, Sunset

Hope you will forgive a tiny tad of turner sunset, but this is how it felt and appeared!

Asher Kelman

As I walk along the war between the lines of boats I look to the West and over the boats.

Over boats to sky_1400.jpg

Asher Kelman: Over boats to sky

Asher Kelman

Looks like you were getting plenty of inspiration for your next sculptures Asher.

Thanks for dropping by Andy. I'm an admirer of seafaring folk. The best are some of the most fearless people on the planet, relying on just a cm of material between them and the ocean depths! They work with ropes and cables as well as a master chess player can move his pieces on a board, always calculating ten steps ahead so as to win mastery of the wind and waves.

Nicolas Claris is such a person! He's built boats, captained them across the ocean and photographs new vessels from the drawing board to construction launch and maiden trials and voyage. I, OTOH, have to constantly check real boats for shape of the hull, how things fit together and the whole gestalt of "being" at risk like that!

However, there's a lot of joy to be had seeing a master's work after one's own struggles with form!

It's a joyous and celebratory learning curve!

Asher

Last edited:

Andy brown

Asher, I love the ocean as would have picked up, I'm more often in it than on it.
My next physical (geographical) move in about 5 years time is to the Eastern part of Fiji, the jumping off point to the untouristed southern Lau group of islands.
I'll have several water craft, tandem hobi cat, surfboard and a little yacht for hopping between islands. I've only sailed a few times in my life but it is big on my drawing board and getting tantalisingly closer.

fahim mohammed

I love boats..sailing boats. As long as I do not have to work to make it go :)

These are nice images Asher. Distractions are sometimes necessary. They can prove to be a balm...for the body, mind and soul.

Asher Kelman

Asher, I love the ocean as would have picked up, I'm more often in it than on it.
My next physical (geographical) move in about 5 years time is to the Eastern part of Fiji, the jumping off point to the untouristed southern Lau group of islands.
I'll have several water craft, tandem hobi cat, surfboard and a little yacht for hopping between islands. I've only sailed a few times in my life but it is big on my drawing board and getting tantalisingly closer.

Andy,

That's a wonderful idea and plan! I hope it all comes to pass. In the meanwhile, see if you can find a yacht club with boats to rent and lessons. One should really study how to handle the craft, even a simple one and if possible have a motor!

I remember my father in law calling the Tampa Marine operator, "This is the motor vessel "Aloma" , Whisky, Zulu, Quebec, 359, calling the Tampa Marine Operator, come on please!"

We were crashing through giant waves at full speed with my wife and little boys on board. "Are we in danger?", I asked.

"Nah! This is just normal, just everyone hold on tight till we get back to the dock."

The sea is unforgiving and even on a short course you know, can change in just 20 minutes and become treacherous!

So get lessons!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I love boats..sailing boats. As long as I do not have to work to make it go :)

These are nice images Asher. Distractions are sometimes necessary. They can prove to be a balm...for the body, mind and soul.

Thanks for the visit and thoughts! I like having a good captain and a radio, depth finder and GPS on board ....... As well as a bunk a refrigerator and "head"!

Asher