• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Anatomy of an Island

Rick Medlock

Hi everyone

I thought it was time to add something to this forum. I am just coming to my end of year show for my final assessment and grading for the HNC photography qualification I am currently undertaking and I thought you might like to see what I have been up to. A description of the work follows so you have an idea what it is all about. Follow the link below which hopefully will open up a PDF presentation. Enjoy.

Anatomy. The science of bodily structure. The Oxford Reference Dictionary.
Island. Anything isolated Chambers 20th Century Dictionary

As the reference above states, the science of bodily structure really refers to human, animal or plant structure. Using the science of bodily structure as a working reference point, in this instance refers to buildings or roads i.e. the ring road. Anatomy is structure and form. The ring road is also structure and form. An island, in this case Coventry city centre is contained and isolated within the ring road. Being contained within the ring road is like being on an island. It is if the ring road is its skin or rocky shore line. On an island you can only go around, across or move off it. The ring road works in this way as does the city centre, with its subways and roads that take you to, from, around and across this structure.

What is also contained within the images is some of my feelings about this structure and how it relates to me. It is not always apparent why I take a particular image, not from just the technical point of view i.e. it looks right, it is more the feelings it generates within me as I look through the view finder. I don’t analyse these feelings as I work, it is only in reflection on a image that it sometimes becomes apparent. Ever since I was a child I can remember always been drawn to looking over distances, as in a long straight road. All my early attempts at art at school, were always drawings of roads disappearing into the distance, within wide open spaces and mountains in the far distance. I see a lot of this format in my work as a photographer. Why this is I have no idea, but it has a certain comfort and mystery to me. I don’t like being in enclosed spaces and would never be comfortable partaking in a sport such as potholing or being a submariner, so subways, although holding no fear for me, are not the sort of spaces I enjoy being in. It is a feeling of not being in control, or more to do with being controlled. You have to go where directed generating a feeling of a lack of freedom. For the general public, also being in subways or underground, holds all sorts of fears. Mugging, rape or terrorist attack are also why people dislike being within these structures and will go over ground, or around, in preference to using the subway. Coventry city centre can be a very violent place especially at night, so these areas under the ring road have to be approached with caution. There have been a number of rapes and robberies at knife point over the years. The thing about the ring road underbelly, is that depending which of the various islands you are using, it can either feel threatening or pleasant. The more affluent areas surrounding the ring road have a more pleasant feel and generally tend to be more well kept, with flower beds works of art etc. The poorer areas on the other hand have a dirtier look and feel although the access tends to be more straightforward, with not as many hidden bends. Is that a reflection on the people that use it or the council’s reluctance to invest money in repair? I don’t know. Judge for yourself. Anatomy of an island.

http://www.trickym.demon.co.uk/Images/Anatomy of a Island.pdf

Rick Medlock

Update

Hi All

After two years of toil and sweat and endless hours in the dark room printing, also in front of a computer screen, with thousands of images taken my HNC Photography course has finally come to an end. The good news is I received a distinction for my final piece An Anatomy of an Island with the recommendation of further exhibitions with this body of work. Also, with the another two pieces’ that at present is work in progress, when finished should be taken to an agency such as Magnum. It goes without saying that I am over the moon to have achieved this after all my hard work.

Now all I have to do is find some work.

Regards

RICK

Ray West

Hi Rick,

I went through your pdf before, and was quite impressed with some of the images. I'm glad you got what you deserved, serves you right ;-)

I've no idea about the work situation, what you are looking for, but I hope/know you will let keep us up to date.

Somehow, I'm thinking of tv documentaries.

Best wishes,

Ray

Rick Medlock

Hi Ray

Thanks for the comments.

I have just landed my first professional engagement with a company that builds exhibition stands. This year I have nineteen exhibitions to cover and they pay well. So that is a start. Hopefully, I would like to do social documentaries and photojournalism, which is along the lines of the work in progress that I mentioned above. For the time being I am doing anything I can get. I have a wedding in a couple of weeks time to do and a family portrait the other week so we are off and running.

Regards

RICK