• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Family/friends vs copyright; how to create a mutual understanding?

Cem_Usakligil

Based on a remark made by Kathy in this thread, I have decided to post this rambling here.

Kathy wrote:
... Now, I am not selling her the photos, but, I did not give permission to copy them either! Next time I am only uploading with a huge watermark on them.
This is something which has been on my mind recently. Obviously, around here we are all very aware of the copyright issues and the like. But how best can I let my friends/family/schools/charity orgs etc know that the pictures I took of them are actually copyrighted to me?

[Before anyone jumps at me, I don't publish/sell the pictures; I'd get their prior consent if I would. And no, I don't get in the way of any professionals by giving away free prints or the like either. I only take pictures as a part of my hobby, most subjects don't ever get to see them. ]

Basically, I would let them do anything they like with the pictures as long as they don't violate my basic rights. But I actually don't know have a clue as to what my basic rights ought to be. I am not talking about a legalese definition of the copyright itself but about where one should reasonably draw the line.

Boy, oh boy! I'm finding it rather difficult explaning here clearly what I mean, let alone come up with any coherent answers <LOL>. Savvy?

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
BIG Issue

For me the big issue is that the photos I take are mine - my product, my time, my creativity and my copyright!
Maybe I do want to sell them - if not to the person who I have shot but to their family and friends - If I did then I need the subjects permission to sell them (unless it's editorial in the US)

Maybe I want to control how they are seen and viewed - they are my creation and my art!

My photos are mine and if you use them without my permission, then I reserve the right to be compensated.

If you went to the store and walked off with the merchandise, you would be accused of stealing.

Cem_Usakligil

For me the big issue is that the photos I take are mine - my product, my time, my creativity and my copyright!
Maybe I do want to sell them - if not to the person who I have shot but to their family and friends - If I did then I need the subjects permission to sell them (unless it's editorial in the US)

Maybe I want to control how they are seen and viewed - they are my creation and my art!

My photos are mine and if you use them without my permission, then I reserve the right to be compensated.

If you went to the store and walked off with the merchandise, you would be accused of stealing.
Yes, exactly. I share these sentiments, hence the reason I've posted this question. I just don't know how to communicate this properly to the laymen who happen to be good friends/family. Amongst ourselves here at OPF, we are "preaching to the choir" <smile>.

Cheers,

Ray West

Hi Cem,

I'd guess friends and family is fine, you can say something like 'you aren't going to copy this for anyone else, are you, who else would want your ugly mug?'

Schools/charity you either accept it will be stolen, or you put a copyright symbol on it, and give the recipient of your print a written summary of exactly what they can or can not use it for.

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

The main thing is to have a © in place and embedded in the file with file and then when you walk in a supermarket, as one guy did, and you are a friend notices your picture on a Nestlé jar of tea or seomething, then you will as that guy did, be able to get your fee and damages!

In a wedding and in whatever you can do, "front-load" your charges.

So it's say $2,400 for coming to the ceremony, reception and dinner.

Includes a slide shows booked for selections for the couple, the bride's mother for the books and individual pictures. This should be as early as possible so that you sell while emotions are high and they are distracted with so many other things to do that they are glad to have it done!

Optional sell the files if you wish (people get very hot about this) for $500 - $1000 extra.

Assume everyone will have a smart nephew, niece or other with a scanner to copy perfectly from your prints. That's why you load up front. Eventually the kids take over, so you must get the packages sold up front or at a slide show.

On the web, just small images with watermark.

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem, a friend using a photo as screensaver; friends are friends, and I don't count pennies with them. Further, they aren't making money out of it. Peanuts...

I've much more problems, if companies steal my photos for their marketing, website, etc.
It happend a few monthes ago, that a company used one of 'em more than 12 times (!!) on the website. They ignored any ©question consequently, and I had to mail them the ©paragraphs, just to bring' em back to reality and the existing ©-laws. Google-searches/pictures are a big help.

Some newspapers and magazines try to get the free lunch as well; the local newspaper, it has been one of the big nationals, a while ago, denies constantly and systematically any ©-rights: They stock photos, if they can grab' em, on their servers, for reusing it again two weeks later, indicating ©: newspaper archiv!

I simply react to it, in asking them the double ©fee, and off course they pay very fast, avoiding any legal stuff.