• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Is it Art?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I came across this from Ken Rockwell's great website.

header_mp.gif

from the modestypanel.com see link below.

"Do you know your Dada from your Moma? Try the quiz and see.

Everyone has got their opinions, but they won't help you here!
For the purposes of this quiz, "art" is something that has been exhibited as such by an artist."

So take the quizz And then tell us your thoughts on the subject!

Asher

Last edited:

Scott B. Hughes

My score was 50/50.

My feeling is the second most silly question after, "what aperture did you use" is, "is it art?"

:)

-Scott

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My score was 50/50.

My feeling is the second most silly question after, "what aperture did you use" is, "is it art?"

-Scott

If you got 50/50 it means that you thought the urinal shown was not art!! :) how so???

That means that you thought it was not the Duchamp or you didn't think that was art anyway or else you had not heard that it was supposed to be art if it was part of the dozen or so he picked up from the hardware store after the first was successfully exhibited!

Now the aperture question is not necessarily in the same class of question. I see an effect I like and might want to reproduce or someone has issues with a picture that need understanding, then and for many more reasons, the aperture is very important.

Asher

Scott B. Hughes

Hey Asher.

Context. My observation was from a point where it's suggested I must have a good camera to take pitchers I display.

Today, I was viewing a forum, which has nothing to do with photography besides a casual usasge level, which focuses on another interest of mine.

Someone posted a gaggle of snapshots. Very repitious images of cars parked on a lot with a school bus in the backround (over and over and over), on which were a fair amount of reflective designs........ Even to someone interested in the subject, I was underwhelmed.

Then another poster loaded a few images taken with a cell phone. Interesting angles, closer views, etc. A total of perhaps, a dozen images. I forget. But the original poster uploaded a good 50 snaps. Eh.

I'm thinking that "art" is decided upon within the mind and heart of the observer. We own two 85/1.2 Canons. One each.

Cem, when I said "50/50", I was talking in percentages. %%%

Michael Fontana

pro member
13/16

The Campbell Soup is a nasty one

At the end, they asked if I paint - hmmmmmm ;-)

The Duchamp-Fountain is not as high as the showed one; different proportions.

Cem_Usakligil

13/16

The Campbell Soup is as nasty one ;-)
Indeed, but that one I got right incidentally. The reason for my "miserable" score is that I did not understand the premise of the quiz correctly. When I took the quiz, I thought that we were being asked what we ourselves would consider to be art, not whether it actually is art or not. The subtitle of the quiz states: "For the purposes of this quiz, "art" is something that has been exhibited as such by an artist."

My initial premise is an exercise in opinion and makes the quiz interesting by opening a door to debate whereas the actual purpose stated by the makers turns the quiz into a mere knowledge one.

Obviously, my personal opinion of what should be cosidered as art is different from the reality <LOL>.

Cheers,

Michael Fontana

pro member
>Obviously, my personal opinion of what should be cosidered as art is different from the reality <LOL>.<
That might happen to everbody

I found it interesting, that the test bases and esplain quite much on that Duchamp-topic:
"art" is something that has been exhibited as such by an artist."

Therefore, Cem, your statement is politically absolutly correct! ;-)