• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who does studio and still life?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi everyone,

Tim Armes pointed out to me that we don't as yet have still life or studio as fora. Who does this as part of there photography that you's participate?

Let us know your thoughts!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Asher,

As you know, I am setting up a studio (for people!).

And professionally, I've been shooting products for the web with a tabletop studio (Boring) - af ter all there are only so many poses for eyeglasses and their expressions are pretty static. Besides that, there is reflection and white balance to worry about.

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi everyone,

Tim Armes pointed out to me that we don't as yet have still life or studio as fora. Who does this as part of there photography that you's participate?

Let us know your thoughts!

Asher

Hi Asher!

I did lots of stillifes over the years and i like to do it still! But none of it i do digital. Just 4x5" and 8x10".
Stillife is a very interesting kind of photography - if it IS stillife and not "just" product-photography.

To me, classical stillife is in the direct neighbourhood of classical painting - but it influences product-photography of course.

Techniques of shooting and lighting i would like to discuss here.

best, Klaus

Asher Kelman

So Klaus, since we are trying to build up Large Format, do we need a new forum for still life?

Maybe just a new forum for studio. There will be cross over. Perhpas we might include studio lighting and other gear as well as technic? Wer'e looking for feedback right now.

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
"Maybe just a new forum for studio. There will be cross over."

Yes - there´s crossover from LF to landscape also. And that´s good! Because landscape´s sort of stillife anyway when done on LF . . ;-)

I think drawing a line between studio- and other photography will do. A studio-forum speciallized on stillife
maybe wise - because techniques of lighting are very different from a people-studio (i´m working in both).

LF always is a point! :)

best, Klaus

Michael Fontana

pro member
Studio?

Yes here, not so much for stillifes, bur rather for architecture models and sculptures, etc.

Not beeing really a big fan of more boards, for convenience reasons. Personally, I find it sometimes difficult to keep survey of all the boards.

Asher Kelman

Studio?

Yes here, not so much for stillifes, bur rather for architecture models and sculptures, etc.

Not beeing really a big fan of more boards, for convenience reasons. Personally, I find it sometimes difficult to keep survey of all the boards.

This is the overiding restraint to new fora.

Asher

Tim Armes

Sounds like a single forum for studio would be useful, covering all types of studio work (portrait, still life, etc.), equipment and technique.

Jack_Flesher

My own 2 cents -- and all it's worth! -- is there may already be too many categories... Lighting probably works for still life, since it is essentially 80% of what makes a still-life work. My suggestion would be to change Lighting to Stuio & Lighting, and then eliminate the distinction between gear and images -- after all, we use gear to capture images, so why not discuss the gear and share the images in the same forums? With a Studio & Lighting section, you could possibly merge portrait and product in as well since many of the techniques overlap.

Tim Armes

Good idea jack. I vote for that.

My own 2 cents -- and all it's worth! -- is there may already be too many categories... Lighting probably works for still life, since it is essentially 80% of what makes a still-life work. My suggestion would be to change Lighting to Stuio & Lighting, and then eliminate the distinction between gear and images -- after all, we use gear to capture images, so why not discuss the gear and share the images in the same forums? With a Studio & Lighting section, you could possibly merge portrait and product in as well since many of the techniques overlap.

Asher Kelman

Great, but what about natural light portraits? Where would that belong in your scheme. Thanks for the creative input. I like the open discussion.

Asher

Great, but what about natural light portraits? Where would that belong in your scheme. Thanks for the creative input. I like the open discussion.

Good portraits are in a league of their own (combining equipment/lighting, creative/social and post-processing skills), and deserve their own forum, IMHO.

Bart

Asher Kelman

Bart,

I agree with you, but just for now, we'll keep them together in the new forum here . We'll make a new forum is there are enough new posts. Let's see what people think. I'm open to that. Your post arrived after I had made one super-forum! I'm really open to this! However, we want changes to be as few as possible.

Asher

Jack_Flesher

Asher

Well from my perspective, controlling light to your benefit is "lighting" and could easily be discussed alongside artificial lighting. Whether you placed a scrim over a large North window or over an equally large softbox is irrelevant to me; how you got the final image is what I want to hear. Again, my simple .02 only...

Cheers,