• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How's this for timing?

Scott B. Hughes

A coupe weeks ago I realized two things.... first, we were about to enter a fifteen day period during which we were covering eleven events (weddings). Secondly, the camera (1dM2) my assistant typically uses was at ~160K shutter releases.

I shop around a bit and last Thursday, find a small store in rural PA which had a 1DM3 body. We buy, they ship. It is to arrive this afternoon via UPS.

Last night, at event number twelve of the fifteen, the shutter crumples on the 1D. Off to CPS today for the old guy!

How's that for timing?

Will have to cram and learn as much as possible about the M3 today.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Good luck Scott and so glad the forces in the world are in your favor!

This is such good timing! I hope you enjoy the new camera. The ability to grab focus in low light is really supposed to be great. I think you should have a spare one!

I'm dying to hear how the 1DIII for weddings in dim lighting!

Keep us updated!

Asher

Scott B. Hughes

We'll likely wait for the next 1Ds, whenever that may be. I'm a fan of full frame.

It's some time before we have another candlelight ceremony, but I'll report back with our impressions during 'normal' usage.

I think you should have a spare one! I'm dying to hear how the 1DIII for weddings in dim lighting!

Keep us updated!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Scott,

Yes, I'm a fan of full frame, especially for large groups at a wedding. But the 1D series comes out well using wider lenses. Today, the 5D which is relatively inexpensive can serve for this function.

Otherwise, the 1D series seems just fine!

Of course, when the 21 MP 1DsIII arrives next year, we'll be expecting this wide DR low light focusing miracle camera to do everything but apply the makeup to the girls!

We are addicted to these things! Gone is the time when buying a camera and you were good for 10 years!

Asher