• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

UI suggestions

I *know* that VBulletin allows this, so I suggest to make a few very simple changes to board's UI (user interface) to simplify the access to its features for less-techy more-artsy people...

• User CP: rename it to Me (since it is, in fact, about each user)
  • Subscribed Threads in Quick Links: rename to My Threads (same reasoning as above)
  • Private Messages (also in QUick Links): rename to My Messages (--*--)
We're still young, so there's no reason to hold onto some geeky defaults...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Nikolai.

Your suggestion derives partly from the fact that as a programmer you strive to make the interface easy, fun and friendly. You find the stuffy and formal and replace it with the personal and fun covering.

OPF, however, have a design team with a long term design philosophy. We did, do and will have periods where we ask for help on approaches where we need opinions. All such input, requested or just submitted as a PM are valued.

Ideas which are considered within the context of overall design and philosophy.

We only keep this area open for functional flaws where things just don't work.

If that's the case, it is still much better to PM to Nicolas or myself, as we don't want to divert interest on this where it should be on actual photography.

Now while we are at it, I can say that we did consider this, but chose the formal approach to set the tone of OPF to be non-trivial and more professional.

We have a balance by having two special parts of the fun seriousness spectrum.

Layback Cafe is informal. More humor, fun and a relaxed attitude to everything, just as it would be in your lounge or den.

By contrast, "Provocative Thoughts and Images can be downright confrontational, complex, philosophical or just plain shocking, no way fit for Layback Cafe.

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62

With these two devices, photography itself, is left free from the diversions of chit chat and the seriousness of divisive argument. When one enters a forum on photography, that is what it's about, nothing else.

We wish to savor the essential part of photography without cartoons and just look at the essence of what we are here to enjoy, the photograph and how to make it and do so with success.

So, Nicolai, it is not an accident nor something the design team overlooked, in not using terms like "me" "my" and so forth. This was part of the balance in tone conceived to create a forum more serious about photography.

We figure that people who absolutely must find that level of fun in the door handles, don't really need to come into the rooms. OPF rooms are for photography. If we keep out some people because we don't seem to be enough fun, then perhaps we have done the right thing.

We don't need a lot of people. We just want photographers, ones that love the image and concept made real.

Anyway, we do welcome new ideas. Keep them coming via a PM; my preference!

Asher