• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Administrative: Which Prefixes do you like?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I guess by now you have noticed the prefixes

Question:

Retouch Request:

Question:

Challenge:

News:

Is there anything important we are missing?

Asher

Asher Kelman

New Prefixes Added. Give us your requests!

Well,

Thanks guys for making use of prefixes. This allows immediate attention to the class of post within even a particular forum.

Now we have more choices, especially to showcase the efforts of analog , pinhole and alternative process photographers. Their work tends to get buried amongst all the other posts and we need to see them as they often represent some of the most well conceived and delivered pictures one could find. What's even more special is that some of the work may be available for purchase, often at prices a fraction of what they really should command in a fair and easily accessible art market.

Heres' the current list of prefixes:

• Challenge:
  • LF:
  • Alternative Process:
  • Film:
  • Pinhole:
  • Helpful Hints/D.I.Y.:
  • In Perspective, Fun:
  • In Perspective, Planet:
  • Question:
  • Critique Desired:
  • Just Sharing:
  • Retouch Request:
  • News:

The use should be self-evident but feel free to ask if you are flummoxed!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Heres' the current list of prefixes with explanation:

• Challenge: Submit a photograph to meet the thematic title.

• LF: Photography exploiting the 4"x5", 8"x10" or other camera generally with two standards, one of a lens and the other for the film or other sensitive medium. Covers all such similar systems for any recording medium.

• Alternative Process: A method of recording or processing film or other analog medium which emphasizes light characteristics differently from normally processed silver gelatin workflow.

• Film: Photography using a chemical light sensitive recording medium is on a transparent medium from glass to plastic or gelatin.

• Pinhole: Lensless Photography

• Helpful Hints/D.I.Y.:

• In Perspective, Fun:

• In Perspective, Planet: Important news on the our little planet that dwarfs a lot of other things we fuss about and therefore gives us a better perspective to value what we have!

• Question:

• Critique Desired:

• Just Sharing: Not asking for C&C, nice comments welcome. This is just sharing like showing what we are up to, casually!

• Retouch Request:

• News:

Feel free to offer new ones.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Predicated on the invitation at the foot of your second message about prefixes, I suggest the addition of these prefixes to the repertoire:

"MF"

Photography with format sizes larger than 36 mm x 24 mm but not so large as to be considered "LF".

"At the blackboard"

This would identify essays on theory, or dissertations on some philosophical premise or outlook

"Tools"

This would identify messages that focused on a description of "stuff", perhaps the unique stuff a photographer used to produce a certain photograph, or that the writer had identified as useful for certain work.

"Review"

This would identify messages that specifically sought to describe the properties and/or performance of an available piece of equipment or a service, or that would review a book or Web site.

Asher Kelman

Thanks Doug. These are good additions. Let's see if others have ideas too. This will help categorizing sections in OPF with searxh terms which cut accross many different fora.

Asher

Rod Witten

pro member
Thanks Doug. These are good additions. Let's see if others have ideas too. This will help categorizing sections in OPF with searxh terms which cut accross many different fora.

Asher

Asher,

Could we have a means of knowing if the work "posted" was considered by the "Poster" as finished without having to open the post?

Thanks

Rod

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Could we have a means of knowing if the work "posted" was considered by the "Poster" as finished without having to open the post?
Hi Rod,

The truth is that some folks would think a picture is ready for printing/delivery but likely it isn't. Still, this would certainly created a new class. We want to challenge each other to ask whether or not we have done as much as we can to project our ideas.

Now if this has been printed or exhibited in some way, then it's a fact that has been put out to hte world. That's already published and we can look at that as something finished.

So we need a term meaning Delivered/published: where the image is now in the world free of the photographer and talk of changes might be of interest only in theory.

Think about this and see what you come up with.

Asher

Rod Witten

pro member
Hi Rod,

The truth is that some folks would think a picture is ready for printing/delivery but likely it isn't. Still, this would certainly created a new class. We want to challenge each other to ask whether or not we have done as much as we can to project our ideas.

Now if this has been printed or exhibited in some way, then it's a fact that has been put out to hte world. That's already published and we can look at that as something finished.

So we need a term meaning Delivered/published: where the image is now in the world free of the photographer and talk of changes might be of interest only in theory.

Think about this and see what you come up with.

Asher,

All serious photographers should have presentation level portfolios. It may be, for OPF purposes, that the phrase "New to My Portfolio" defines such an image. However, others members like Ken Tanaka may have better suggestions. The objective is to encourage posters to develop their skills to the point where they are presenting "final", not for critique, work. OPF would present a trial stage for this critical step.

Rod

Asher Kelman

Asher,

All serious photographers should have presentation level portfolios. It may be, for OPF purposes, that the phrase "New to My Portfolio" defines such an image. However, others members like Ken Tanaka may have better suggestions. The objective is to encourage posters to develop their skills to the point where they are presenting "final", not for critique, work. OPF would present a trial stage for this critical step.
Hi Rod,

Are you implying that we shouldn't be critiquing "finished for delivery" images, just works not otherwise specified? Let me distinguish the broader, work-in-progress "critique" which might have some suggestions for reworking composition, finessing some point or nuance in the shadows for example from critique of a picture already in the portfolio or gallery or otherwise delivered.

I think you are suggesting a that we should have sets of pictures marked so we know these have been completed and no changes will be made. That's a good idea. Maybe, from my Delivered Images:

There would still be C&C if nothing else was specified but there would be an understanding that what we are seeing is the picture, not open to changes!

Asher

Rod Witten

pro member
Hi Rod,

Are you implying that we shouldn't be critiquing "finished for delivery" images, just works not otherwise specified? Let me distinguish the broader, work-in-progress "critique" which might have some suggestions for reworking composition, finessing some point or nuance in the shadows for example from critique of a picture already in the portfolio or gallery or otherwise delivered.

I think you are suggesting a that we should have sets of pictures marked so we know these have been completed and no changes will be made. That's a good idea. Maybe, from my Delivered Images:

There would still be C&C if nothing else was specified but there would be an understanding that what we are seeing is the picture, not open to changes!

Asher

Asher,

I believe that comments regarding finished work should be general in nature and possibly better addressed at the photographers collective effort rather than a specific image. We don't discuss artist statements much at OPF and in many ways the development of this document as it relates to the photographers presentation is a worthwhile exercise. To that extent, we could even address collections defined at the photographer's web site. Are they executing the purpose intended and so on....

Rod

Asher Kelman

Critique to a finished work, review of a body of work.

Asher,

I believe that comments regarding finished work should be general in nature and possibly better addressed at the photographers collective effort rather than a specific image. We don't discuss artist statements much at OPF and in many ways the development of this document as it relates to the photographers presentation is a worthwhile exercise. To that extent, we could even address collections defined at the photographer's web site. Are they executing the purpose intended and so on....

Rod
Rod,

I think it's worthwhile to review a body of work, and we should do that. That is, I think a separate activity from what you were referring to.. works that are finished. Single images or a few are one matter. Whole galleries to me require some thought.

I would take very seriously someone doing that, but I'd want to make sure that we were not doing harm to the photographer. Such a general discussion, in my mind is best done by one person and then reviewed by another before it's posted so that we don't publish opinions that are simply unfair or inconsiderate. My own view is that we can be more probing for one picture, less when its finished and have to show careful perspective in taking on an entire collection.

We plan to be having web gallery reviews, but I'd only select a gallery that is not going to need "shock and awe", but rather introduction, and appreciation tour.

Anyone who feels qualified to help in doing reviews of a body of work, let me know by PM.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher, Rod,

I get this uneasy feeling that you two are not on the same wavelength. Or it is entirely possible that I am badly tuned to your posts. But I think that I understand what Rod was asking for and your reactions Asher did not give me the impression that you did so too. I would not want to start explaining now what I thought I understood, it would make things even worse, LOL

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

...The truth is that some folks would think a picture is ready for printing/delivery but likely it isn't. Still, this would certainly created a new class. We want to challenge each other to ask whether or not we have done as much as we can to project our ideas.
Hi Asher,

With all due respect –believe me it would be the last thing I want to do to appear as being disrespectful to you since I never am- I think that this statement of your can be interpreted wrongly by some readers. Surely you don’t mean to say that if an artist declares his/her work as being completed/finished (even if it hasn’t been published yet), we still can challenge them as to the possible improvements in the execution of their intent? If so, then I’ll kindly disagree. If not, I am glad I have misunderstood your statement :).

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Surely you don’t mean to say that if an artist declares his/her work as being completed/finished (even if it hasn’t been published yet), we still can challenge them as to the possible improvements in the execution of their intent?
Cem,

Always feel free to question! Reread what I wrote.

Asher Kelman said:
My own view is that we can be more probing for one picture, less when its finished and have to show careful perspective in taking on an entire collection.

When someone has published, exhibited or delivered an image, it certainly is finished, there is no question about that! Then we must not imply it is unfinished! The same applies to a portfolio. These are all completed works that we must respect, especially in a public forum.

However, apart from that, often we don't know exactly where we are on the path. Sometimes we try to do too much, to perfect something, other times there's some way to go. That's where being in a forum is so helpful. Others might see landmarks we ourselves might miss and give us cogent feedback.

I was pointing out to Rod that before we'd add a new prefix, Finished: we have to distinguish which groups we are working with and that word does not do it! Without a big explanation, most folk would think every picture is "finished" when posted. What we consider instead is a term like Printed/Delivered: if that would mean to everyone what we want it to mean: finished professional photograph, either given to a magazine, client or exhibited in a gallery. I think that meaning is clear. We just need confirmation on that idea.

Then the discussion will be focused on what's special about the picture and how it fits in with that genre or does it's work, but not what should have been done. This prefix would only be used sparingly where professional quality work is delivered.

Let me know if this is now clear!

Asher

Rod Witten

pro member
Rod,

I think it's worthwhile to review a body of work, and we should do that. That is, I think a separate activity from what you were referring to.. works that are finished. Single images or a few are one matter. Whole galleries to me require some thought.

I would take very seriously someone doing that, but I'd want to make sure that we were not doing harm to the photographer. Such a general discussion, in my mind is best done by one person and then reviewed by another before it's posted so that we don't publish opinions that are simply unfair or inconsiderate. My own view is that we can be more probing for one picture, less when its finished and have to show careful perspective in taking on an entire collection.

We plan to be having web gallery reviews, but I'd only select a gallery that is not going to need "shock and awe", but rather introduction, and appreciation tour.

Anyone who feels qualified to help in doing reviews of a body of work, let me know by PM.

Asher

Asher,

I agree with your concern and direction.

Rod