• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My first digital camera—and a momentous shot

Doug Kerr

I bought my first digital camera in late 1997.

My first wife, Bobbie, had died in the aftermath of bypass surgery following a heart attack. She had been in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit for 42 days. We had been married almost 38 years. It was a very low time for me.

A few weeks later, though, I was in Florida, doing an engineering seminar through a university for a telecommunications firm, scheduled some while in advance. I was pretty low, but I was committed to go (and I needed the revenue—I was sitting on a USD 800k medical bill).

I had thought about getting a digital camera, but not much—I knew essentially nothing about them. One night, to occupy myself, I went into an electronics store (likely Best Buy) and looked at digital cameras. I ended up buying a Kodak DC210.

I did not realize at the time that it was fixed focus (imagine that)!

But it was really nicely made, and did what seemed to me to be really good work.

I still had it in the spring of 1999, when I first went out with Carla (herself then just recently widowed).

The night of our third real date (one week after the first real date, and 12 days after "date zero", when she rode along when I went with some mutual friends from church to a musical recital), I asked her to marry me, and she accepted.

The next morning we put the DC210 on whatever tripod I had (I think a very ancient one inherited from my father) and used the self-timer to shoot this:

C-D_DCP00085-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Just Engaged—March, 1999

The rest is history.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You made a great leap of faith in jumping in to a new relationship. Nothing you could work out on a slide rule. So where did that insight come from. I think its because you had a great sincere relationship with your first wife and you also were never a unidimensional fellow anyway. Not many engineers make music too!

I hope the hospital wrote of the charges!!!!!

Anyway, your new chapter in life is still being written and it reads very well from here!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

You made a great leap of faith in jumping in to a new relationship. Nothing you could work out on a slide rule. So where did that insight come from. I think its because you had a great sincere relationship with your first wife and you also were never a unidimensional fellow anyway. Not many engineers make music too!

I think you are right on all fronts! Thanks.

I hope the hospital wrote off the charges!!!!!

Well, first I convinced the carrier for our catastrophic health insurance (all we had) that the limit of $100k per illness should be applied at least twice, since Bobbie had at least two illnesses. Of course they thought that "illness" meant "an episode of being unwell", and cited an internal policy document to that effect.

But I pointed out that the policy explicitly says no other documents are to be relied upon to interpret the terms of the policy. So therefore we would have to do with accepted medical definitions. And of course general medical dictionaries (e.g., Black's) define illness as (to simplify it) an an ailment, not an episode of unwellness. And even the death certificate indicated at least two "ailments".

They paid $200,000.

Bobbie's personal care physician (mine also), who admitted her and managed the entire case, billed $140 for an "extended office visit". I paid that first.

Then I wrote to each of the other physicians that actually did anything and offered them $0.30 on the dollar to settle their bill. They all accepted.

Then I wrote to each of the "physicians" that didn't do anything (e.g., the pathologists that "signed" the numerous fully-automated lab reports) and (after saying that that I had thus classified them) offered them $0.15 on the dollar to settle their bills. All accepted.

Then I told the hospital that I really didn't want to bother discussing in detail the several hundred instances I had documented when some supply item (catheter, frammis tray, Worthington's orifice, Band-Aid, whatever) has been drawn from Central Supply and its billing sticker stuck to the day sheet but then never used. I offered them $0.30 on the dollar, and said that otherwise I would pay them $1.00 a month until the balance was cleared.

They accepted.

Anyway, your new chapter in life is still being written and it reads very well from here!

Yes, it is wonderful. It was a leap of faith, but that is often what is needed.

I even bought a 1 ct cubic zirconia engagement ring from Wal-Mart (its name then) that afternoon ($39.95), making sure I could return it if the deal didn't go down. Of course, that turned out to just be a placeholder.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

A very touching story Doug.

I wish Carla and you well for the future.

It just boggles my mind that the richest country in the world could saddle a person with a $ 800,000 medical bill.

Once again our best wishes for you two.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

A very touching story Doug.

I wish Carla and you well for the future.

It just boggles my mind that the richest country in the world could saddle a person with a $ 800,000 medical bill.

Once again our best wishes for you two.

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Sometimes (not that too often though!) life brings de belles histoires…
Thank you Doug for sharing!

PS Medicare came a bit too late!