• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The ISS Image Frontier - "Making the invisible visible"

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bart,

Thanks for bring this too us. what impresses me is the spectacular imagery possible with any camera we could buy on earth. There was nothing taken with the nikons that most other DSLR's couldn't have managed with aplomb. Still it's a feather in the hat for Nikon. Funny isn't it that a photographer's common sense and practical ability to dominate the relationship between himself and the camera works in space too. One would have thought that an intervalometer taken up on a spacecraft would have been the easiest way to take a long sequence of extended exposure shots. But Don Petit realized that would give him a second of no record. So he combined continuous with shutter release held down!

Also of note is the humble attitude of the photographer, even though his work is the basis for so much new art and science by countless others working with his pictures.

I was impressed how the whole U.K. came into view and disappeared in just 4 seconds, as if it was the waxing and waning of an entire empire. This should give us some humility too!

Thanks again Bart as I for sure would have missed this.

Tomorrow I'll show it to my 6 year old grandson.

Asher

Hi Cem and Asher,

You're welcome. I wish it would have been my own images, but this was a nice find anyway.

The only difficulty in judging the actual speed of events is that time-lapse movies can accelerate apparent time. Yet, the international space station makes 15.65 revolutions per day in its orbit around the earth, so a bit more than 1 hour 32 minutes per revolution. That will indeed cover quite a bit of surface distance in a very short time.

Cheers,
Bart