• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Social media, photography of people, US versus Europe?

Jerome Marot

Lately, I discovered an interesting article about photography and social media: http://photothunk.blogspot.de/2013/01/interestingness-stickiness-and.html.

I'll cite the relevant passage:

What is stickiness? For our purposes I will define it to be a quality of an advertising-containing medium (e.g. a magazine, a web site, a mobile app) which allows it to hold the attention of a typical viewer. It is a measure of the ability of some advertising delivery system to hold your attention and deliver advertising. Interestingness is closely allied to stickiness in that we tend to find our attention held by things we find interesting.
(...)
Social media is, essentially, an advertising medium in which the content is provided for free to the advertisers by the targets of the advertisements. Roughly, social media is a method by which the cow can be persuaded to butcher and pack itself. A magazine is static and limited in size, it must use content that is broadly interesting. This is why they use pictures of celebrities and stories about celebrities. Social media is built on the observation that a digital medium is neither static nor size-restricted. Social media can then use any old content, great masses of it. As long as some small fraction of it is interesting to some people, the potential for stickiness is there. The technological problem of social media is therefore to present to each viewer a sifted collection of the shared crud likely to be found interesting. To first order, this boils down to:

Permit tagging photographs with the names of the people in it.
Notify people when their name has popped up in a photograph.

This creates the cycle of positive feedback which keeps all of us uploading more and more photographic (and other) content, which can in turn be fed into the "who is this interesting to?" grist mill, which in turn drives the stickiness of the social medium in question.

Basically the article says that Facebook wants us to upload and tag pictures of our friends so that people can be presented with pictures of themselves. The system is based on the observation that people are first and foremost interested in pictures of themselves. Having taken pictures at social functions and managed the prints, I can readily agree to that.

But there is a particular problem with Facebook. The vast majority of the people I know object to having their face uploaded to Facebook and tagged. It seems to be a consequence of historically more stringent privacy laws in Europe. It could also be my selection of friends and acquaintances. I would also say that in the time I had a Facebook account, I found the whole system pretty boring, but that is just me.

But I am a bit puzzled by the difference in attitude. Therefore my question: do your friends also object to their pictures being taken, uploaded and/or tagged?

Cem_Usakligil

....Basically the article says that Facebook wants us to upload and tag pictures of our friends so that people can be presented with pictures of themselves. The system is based on the observation that people are first and foremost interested in pictures of themselves. Having taken pictures at social functions and managed the prints, I can readily agree to that.

But there is a particular problem with Facebook. The vast majority of the people I know object to having their face uploaded to Facebook and tagged. It seems to be a consequence of historically more stringent privacy laws in Europe. It could also be my selection of friends and acquaintances. I would also say that in the time I had a Facebook account, I found the whole system pretty boring, but that is just me.

But I am a bit puzzled by the difference in attitude. Therefore my question: do your friends also object to their pictures being taken, uploaded and/or tagged?
My attitude on facebook is very much like your friends' Jerome. Basically, I have an account because that is the only way I can keep in touch with some relatives and old friends from all around the globe. I have a very privacy conscious attitude and I do not allow others to tag me in their photos or at the locations I have been to. I do not react to their posts if they are shared openly with the world, only if the visibility is limited to their own friends. That makes me an "anti social" facebooker, because I cannot reciprocate to my friends with likewise pictures, stories about our life, where we have been, etc. It feels like leeching, watching the lives of others unfoil on my monitor. The way I cope with it is by sharing my pictures, which are the only things about myself I allow to go public. This is the doing of OPF. If OPF hadn't asked for real names, some 7 years ago I would have never gone public with my full name.

Regarding my friends, some of them do allow to have their photo's being taken/uploaded/tagged freely. Most of them are the younger generations, mind you. Some do not, like myself. But there is not a continental division across the two groups.

Jerome Marot

My attitude on facebook is very much like your friends' Jerome. Basically, I have an account because that is the only way I can keep in touch with some relatives and old friends from all around the globe. I have a very privacy conscious attitude and I do not allow others to tag me in their photos or at the locations I have been to. I do not react to their posts if they are shared openly with the world, only if the visibility is limited to their own friends. That makes me an "anti social" facebooker, because I cannot reciprocate to my friends with likewise pictures, stories about our life, where we have been, etc. It feels like leeching, watching the lives of others unfoil on my monitor. The way I cope with it is by sharing my pictures, which are the only things about myself I allow to go public.

I can relate to the problem of feeling like a leacher... I also try to share some of my pictures with Facebook acquaintances, but quickly found out that they do not interest them. Which is only natural if the only think that actually interests them is pictures of themselves and I am not posting that.

Maybe Tom is right in his ideas that we should only take pictures of our family and friends...

Regarding my friends, some of them do allow to have their photo's being taken/uploaded/tagged freely. Most of them are the younger generations, mind you. Some do not, like myself. But there is not a continental division across the two groups.

As I only had Facebook contacts in Europe, I have no idea about what happens in other circles. I asked my children about the younger generations. It seems that they and most of their friends do not tag much or tag with silly names or tag their names on objects instead of themselves, etc... Quite a few changed their name to something else as well. Of course, I only see a tiny segment of Facebook (and not even that since I cancelled my account), and I know that even in Europe there are vast sections of the population that play the "Facebook game" by the rules, post under their real name, tag everything that stands still and document the minutia of their life down to the details of their lunch and dinner. I just wonder who does that and why.

Michael Nagel

Therefore my question: do your friends also object to their pictures being taken, uploaded and/or tagged?
Me and also a lot of friends object to uploads and tagging of their pictures to FB. Privacy practices here in Europe is one thing, but I think that especially many of the younger already asked themselves if they want to have questions asked about their FB at the first (and following) job interview(s). When you publish - FB is nothing else and I doubt that anything in closed groups will stay there forever - you have to bear with it.

Best regards,
Michael