• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: On the road again

I have not been around too much lately and promise to change that. Today however I am here only to tell you that my wife and I are once again heading out for more new adventures. She was offered a great promotion and opportunity in her company. The catch? She must relocate to Chicago. So guess what. We are relocating to Chicago. We are leaving the beautiful 73 degree Arizona winter and heading right smack into the middle of the polar vortex. Yikes.

Believe me, I am not a cold weather person but her offer was so great that we really had no other choice but to accept it. It is what she has worked for her entire career and since she has followed me around for the last 10 years with my career, it is time now for me to do the same for her.

There is more good news on that topic and that is I have already found a great new opportunity for me in the Chicago area as well. I flew in last Friday morning for final interview and had a job offer Sunday night. It too is a great step for me and my career and just icing on our cake. I start the new job April 1st.

Now comes the fun part of selling the house, getting packed and moved. We are taking it one day at a time and trying not to stress too much. In 10 days we are spending a week in the Washington DC area before I have to report to my new job. My wife's parents are finally getting their burial at Arlington National Cemetery so all the kids are gathering. That too will be a wonderful experience I am sure.

Anyway I just wanted to check in to let people know I am still very much alive and kicking and hopefully when we get moved and finally into our own home again and things settle down, I will start shooting and posting again more regularly. I hear there are a few photo ops in Chicago:)

James Newman

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

It sounds as if this is all working out. Of course, I'm, always sorry when somebody has to leave the desert. I had to leave Albuquerque many years ago because of a business turn of events, after only a short stay there, and I was very bitter about it.

But many years ago I often had to visit Chicagoland, and always had very special feelings for it.

As a periodic visitor, I always loved the mantra for station WGN:" Chicago's very own", and somehow felt very comforted when I heard it. When they gave it up, I wrote a very stern letter to the General Manager.

So best of luck to you both.

Doug

Anyway I just wanted to check in to let people know I am still very much alive and kicking and hopefully when we get moved and finally into our own home again and things settle down, I will start shooting and posting again more regularly. I hear there are a few photo ops in Chicago:)

Hi James,

Thanks for keeping us informed and in the loop of events. Hope this turns out as a step up for you both. I'm sure Chicago, and region, also has many 'photo ops' to offer. One just has to be open and willing to see them.

Cheers,
Bart