• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alternative Process: low resolution digital photography

Mike Shimwell

Here are a couple of pics I took today with a zone plate I made last night and this morning using microfilm. Zone plate pattern photographed using my AE-1 and 85 1.8 on Adox CMS20 in Rodinal and attached to my 5D to see if it works.

Thinking of Jim...

Mike

Washing​

3736772540_ca30ef3d0c_o.jpg

more conventional - a bunch of flowers

3736768176_82c7182237_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thinking of Jim!

;78762 said:
Here are a couple of pics I took today with a zone plate I made last night and this morning using microfilm. Zone plate pattern photographed using my AE-1 and 85 1.8 on Adox CMS20 in Rodinal and attached to my 5D to see if it works.

Thinking of Jim...

Mike Shimwell Washing

This is just wonderful, the softness of the image works perfectly in imaging the clothes and giving them mystery and movement. I like this much better than the so much better defined images of Pinhole lenses.

So this is a great departure and I'd love to see more! Where did you get the original zone plate to photograph? Did you have a software program draw it?

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

To encourage more Zone and Pinhole photography, here's my work for 2007. I've shown this before.

Well this is Kodak 160 NC-2film, 6x7 format, just a simple lab 6MP commercial scan 8BIT TIFF and curves and sharpened. Not cropped. Not corrected for distortion or bright b.g. Don't let that worry you for now :)

27860001MyBestTree.jpg

© 2007 Asher Kelman My Favorite Tree, Los Angeles 2007

Hope you like my tree!

Anyway I'm sentimental about doing film and thought this was a good subject for the pinhole camera i'm testing! :)

So now I'll have to re do this with a pinhole and a zone plate.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I like this very much, Mike. I am a real mug for unconventional methods of, and approaches to, photography that twiddle viewers' imaginations and perspectives. I encourage you to continue to explore.

Mike Shimwell

Asher, Ken

Thanks for your kind comments. I have to admit I'm enjoying this and have some ideas for the next couple of weeks, when I hope to have a bit more time for photography.

I got the zone plate patterns from http://www.whizkidtech.redprince.net/zoneplate/ and pinhole resource has a similar calculator available. I printed them at 15 times actual size and photographed them on Adox CHS20 microfilm with my FD85 1.8 lens at f4. It's a testament to it's ability that they have worked as well as they have, given the small size of the 13th zone! Also, it needed more exposure than I expected, so I shooting over a 5 stop range using 2 flashes only got me one usable plate for each set. Next time at least I know how much light it needs.

Here are a couple more from yesterday, and then off to develop a roll of tmax 3200 that I exposed experimentaly with a 28mm plate.

Something quite interesting with the canon and 48mm plate is that focus is improved at longer distances, suggesting a more lens like behaviour than a pinhole, quite apart from the softer image.

Mike

Hannah cooking
3740010945_4ff345b9f3_o.jpg

Outside last evening
3740010951_59bea0e839_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

I got the zone plate patterns from http://www.whizkidtech.redprince.net/zoneplate/ and pinhole resource has a similar calculator available. I printed them at 15 times actual size and photographed them on Adox CHS20 microfilm with my FD85 1.8 lens at f4. It's a testament to it's ability that they have worked as well as they have, given the small size of the 13th zone! Also, it needed more exposure than I expected, so I shooting over a 5 stop range using 2 flashes only got me one usable plate for each set. Next time at least I know how much light it needs.
Yes, I have studied that source and it's very helpful. 46mm focal distance might be a tad off as we may need 45 or 44mm. Once you have your exposure nailed, you could then prepare a lens optimized for that.

How are you mounting the film: behind or in front of the lens cap? Yours should be in front perhaps to account for the larger focal length than the focal plane to bayonet fitting.

Here are a couple more from yesterday, and then off to develop a roll of tmax 3200 that I exposed experimentaly with a 28mm plate.
Why a 28mm plate? It should be OOF for an EOS unless you are using it for long distances then it might work much better. for close distances, that lens to focal plane should be important!

Something quite interesting with the canon and 48mm plate is that focus is improved at longer distances, suggesting a more lens like behaviour than a pinhole, quite apart from the softer image.
Yes, they work that way.

3740010945_4ff345b9f3_o.jpg

Mike Shimwell Hannah cooking

I really like the gentleness provided by the soft focus. The longer exposure has allowed the formation of a shadow, double image and so gives the effect of movement. This really works well for me. I wonder what jim Galli will say! This is really a great opportunity to explore: great softness, nuanced dreamy colors and movement. These give the image a special presence.

I presume you chose total rings and not holes within a black backround. What's your exposure settings? Are you just using making tape and pealing one lens of an then replacing it with another or have you a whole bunch of spare body caps?

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Asher

Sorry, should have said the 28mm plate is for the RF. Yes, these are all with rings rahter than holes - though I do have a sieve to try at some stage as well. Currently the eos plate is behind the cap, but I may try moving it to the front next. I think it needs to be a bit further away really - I couldn't remember the EF registration when I made it up, but knew it was a bit longer than the FD (42mm) and less than any other current slrs!

One more before bed:)

Mike

Looking Up
3741113706_562fb9d84f_o.jpg

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Mike

You're on to something here! I really like the washing line and the shadows on the stairs, I have a "thing" for washing lines, weird I know! but, when we holiday in remote places in Scotland, I always tell Paul that when we finally relocate to Scotland, the house/land we buy will have to have a washing line with a fantastic view and no other houses in sight.

Another fascination for me are shadows! I was photographing Cala Lillies last week with their shadows, may try and find time to post some in the next few days....

Thanks for showing these.

Asher Kelman

Hi Mike

You're on to something here! I really like the washing line and the shadows on the stairs, I have a "thing" for washing lines, weird I know! but, when we holiday in remote places in Scotland, I always tell Paul that when we finally relocate to Scotland, the house/land we buy will have to have a washing line with a fantastic view and no other houses in sight.

Another fascination for me are shadows! I was photographing Cala Lillies last week with their shadows, may try and find time to post some in the next few days....

Thanks for showing these.
Jan,

Can you imagine taking your landscapes with a zone plate lens? Think of your cala lillies and lakes then?

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Jan,

Can you imagine taking your landscapes with a zone plate lens? Think of your cala lillies and lakes then?

HI Asher

Yes I can imagine all too well, and just dream!

I have some more gorgeous very large white Cala's just beginning to open, last week I shot small pink ones, but the whites are better, I'm already planning how to shoot them next week, plus Agapanthus just beginning to open, I should just manage to shoot them before we go away.

I'm trying to think of something different to do with them, contemplating hand painting a background which will reflect their shape...... or using some fine silk white voil curtaining that I have, to shoot through maybe.....

Mike Shimwell

Hi Janet

Thanks for your comments - I too liked the stairs, but wasn't sure how others would perceive it. I may try a fwe more over the next couple of weeks and will share them here in due course.

Also, next time I make some zone plates up (probably 3 weeks time) I'll send you one if you want - you'll need to source a sacrificial canon body cap and a drill, but that's not too difficult - pm me if you're interested.

Mike

janet Smith

pro member
Thanks for your comments - I too liked the stairs, but wasn't sure how others would perceive it. I may try a fwe more over the next couple of weeks and will share them here in due course.

Also, next time I make some zone plates up (probably 3 weeks time) I'll send you one if you want - you'll need to source a sacrificial canon body cap and a drill, but that's not too difficult

Hello Mike

I look forward to seeing more of these and thank you for your very kind offer of sending me a zone plate, let me know when you get round to making them please......

Mike Shimwell

This one is from a roll of TMax 3200 I shot with a 28mm zone plate iin the body cap of a rangefinder. Hannah at the piano - entirely spontaneous and I like the way the music glows with a life of it's own. This actualy works better as a paper print, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Mike

3749173455_692546c227_o.jpg

Jim Galli

Hi Mike and Asher. Sorry I couldn't comment sooner, out of town. Yes, these are really lovely. They're very different from normal pin hole images aren't they. Softer yet sharper.

Asher Kelman

Hi Mike and Asher. Sorry I couldn't comment sooner, out of town. Yes, these are really lovely. They're very different from normal pin hole images aren't they. Softer yet sharper.

The really nice thing about the zone plates is that they behave more like lenses and do have critical focal lengths. Should be perfect for LF!

Asher

Thinking of Jim...

Mike

Washing​

more conventional - a bunch of flowers

3736768176_82c7182237_o.jpg

Love it...This is absolutely awesome!