• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Canon G9 Stalker is Announced; Nikon P6000

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Nikon today announced its Coolpx P6000. Clearly 2008 has become the year when Nikon has turned to face, and chase, its nemesis. Indeed, the P6000 seems no less than a direct frontal assault on Canon's Powershot G9.

Still, it doesn't look like a G9 killer to me, with its lack of an analog ISO selection dial and its fairly standard 28mm-112mm f/2.7 lens. It looks more like a nuisance, like the former Soviet Union's copy of the American Space Shuttle, known as the "Shuttleski" in the 1980's. Yes, if the P6000 has kick-ass imaging I'll certainly take note. But I don't expect anything beyond status quo from its 1/1.72" 13.5mp CCD.

I'm eager to see some samples here.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
You wish it was a 2.7 lens. It's a 2.7-5.9 and that is utterly unacceptable on such a short zoom range. Sorry Nikon, you've fluffed it.

Oh and there is the RAW controvesy with this camera, head over to any nikon forum you like to see the flames!

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Addendum: Subsequent to posting the initial note I had a chance to read the specs of this camera at DPreview. This camera is stillborn. It offers only an odd in-camera raw file format, not even a standard Nikon NEF.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We want a compact camera with a 24-120mm lens and f2.0 all the way. No CA or vignetting. 8MP that's all that's needed. ISO 1600 with no noise! It should be able to use an existing flash system. Anyone's!

Asher