• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

my oooold P25

As some know I have a P25 --$14,000 paid with art gallery documentation work in New York-- The body is a Mamiya AFD with 40mm, 80mm, 150mm and 35mm from Mamiya.

I am at the moment living in Bolivia -wife represents UN/UNDP here- and I am not working as a photographer any more here, but developing a not-so-bad-so-far painting practice.

So, the question is... should I just keep the PhaseOne indefinitively? I also have a D300 system and will buy i 2 weeks -when I will be in NY-- the Canon G 11

Equeco or Iqiqu comes from an Aymara (one of Peruvian native languages) word which means God of wealth. The Equeco is a Peruvian character made by gypsum or clay and it is used as an amulet for business and home. This character who looks like a human with his arms open and who is wearing typical Peruvian clothes, comes from an Andean legend which says that there was a countryman who worked very hard and made a lot of money, and he had to take all his money in his backpack, so later he became a big symbol of wealth and prosperity in Andean countries. It is also said that this countryman smoked a lot to be awake and kept working to increase his fortune. For this reason it is believed that if a person offers to the Equeco a cigarette, a wish will be conceded to that person.(wikipedia)​

13037_198984322083_668172083_3092971_3394376_n.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
13037_198984322083_668172083_3092971_3394376_n.jpg

As some know I have a P25 --$14,000 paid with art gallery documentation work in New York-- The body is a Mamiya AFD with 40mm, 80mm, 150mm and 35mm from Mamiya.

That camera should be good for the next 10 years! While the D300 may be fun, it is more money! We find excuses to spend more money!

I am at the moment living in Bolivia -wife represents UN/UNDP here- and I am not working as a photographer any more here, but developing a not-so-bad-so-far painting practice.

I find it hard to believe that you wont do more photography. I'd use it to sketch images for you to paint! Are the painting selling and do you have representation?

[
So, the question is... should I just keep the PhaseOne indefinitively? I also have a D300 system and will buy i 2 weeks -when I will be in NY-- the Canon G 11

I wouldn't buy the G11. It's, IMHO a stop gap measure for Canon to desperately hold on to its share of the high end pseudo pro digicam market. I has less resolution than the G10 and gives back one stop of sensitivity. HI would get instead the GXR camera with a 50 mm Macro lens. It's a brilliant camera. The lens has the chip. The 24-70 has the same pixel density as the G11 and that uses the same body. They will have a telephoto next year. Each ;lens has its own matched sensor!

The 24-70 is very sweet and I'll be showing pictures shortly. Is the G11 as good? I don't know but I'll try to test them side by side.

I believe that Canon will get into the pro compact camera market eventually. At the moment it will shore things up with the G11 and folk will give them a pat on the back for reducing the number of pixels.

Asher

Asher[/QUOTE]
That camera should be good for the next 10 years! While the D300 may be fun, it is more money! We find excuses to spend more money!

I do have the D300 and a very nice TOKINA wide lens (the f 4, not the f 2.8 since I could't find it in NY at the time), a 200mm zoom, and my super-old 85mm f 1:1.8

The D300 is fantastic .. the only problem is that it is too heavy. that is all.

The PhaseOne is a fantastic studio camera, I have the new Capture 5 that came with focus preview on thumbnails (I could talk about it here probably)

I have a friend in Ecuador that may buy the system, but I am not sure if I should sell it. It works perfectly ok. Of course not the same capture speeds as the Nikon, but for tethered studio is good.

The question is... I may be able to get sufficient $ to get a Canon 5D2 ... but I would have to buy Canon lenses, and get familiar with the Canon system etc etc...

I find it hard to believe that you wont do more photography. I'd use it to sketch images for you to paint! Are the painting selling and do you have representation?

I am in love with painting --but I do miss my photography practice--.

I am doing a table top project with the P25, but the problem is that here in Bolivia PRINTING is really a problem and/or expensive.... I have an EPSON 2200 printer with a good external ink supply system, but I want to print LARGE to show off the medium format camera...
[

I wouldn't buy the G11. It's, IMHO a stop gap measure for Canon to desperately hold on to its share of the high end pseudo pro digicam market. I has less resolution than the G10 and gives back one stop of sensitivity. HI would get instead the GXR camera with a 50 mm Macro lens. It's a brilliant camera. The lens has the chip. The 24-70 has the same pixel density as the G11 and that uses the same body. They will have a telephoto next year. Each ;lens has its own matched sensor!

The G11 topic is good for a stand alone post, but in a nut shell: I want/need a camera to document my 8-y-old son, and be able to submit images to Alamy.com [that is another topic, I have yet to sell an image there, but I only have about 100 photos, and probably need 1k or up to 5k]

The 24-70 is very sweet and I'll be showing pictures shortly. Is the G11 as good? I don't know but I'll try to test them side by side.

I like 24mm, but the tele side of the G11 is too tempting. It should be an all Swiss army knife type of camera and the G11 is it. Plus it has built in lens cap.

The big selling point of G11 is the bonanza of dedicated -and one programmable- buttons, the (new since G7) movable display, small but included optical view finder, and robust finish. I like the idea of flipping the LCD on the metal side to drop it in a bag, or save half the juice using the view finder.

Resolution is close to the big cameras [Oly Pen] at lower ISO, and higher ISO is not so bad with the new sensor.

The only complaint I have had with this type of cameras --and goes all the way up to the new Leica X1- is the idea of making a robust looking camera with a lens mechanism that is obviously very vulnerable, with no filter thread.

What I mean is that you cannot hold your $2k Leica X1 by the lens, can you? as a photo journalist, the first thing I do is to throw away the lens cap and put in an UV filter and throw the camera in my Donkey bag.

The G11 is no different, but when the camera is off it does become very small. And I plan to buy the filter adapter to clad the lens when on "a mission"

I believe that Canon will get into the pro compact camera market eventually. At the moment it will shore things up with the G11 and folk will give them a pat on the back for reducing the number of pixels.

Asher, I did not addressed the GRX question in my last post, I think that it is good for a long discussion since it is an interesting concept. I am very attracted to the GF1, a camera I have looked in to as much as the G11. The GRX I must admit has not been in my research short list.

I will be in NY for one short week and got some money from selling a few painting, so I think that a system like the Canon that is in model No.11 -- I think they skipped some, no?-- is the perfect camera at the perfect price for the first week of January 2010. The GRX seams too experimental. Remember the Hy6 ?? --sorry, could not resist--

A Oly Pen competes with my D300, and the a 28-140 zoom does is not f2.8, so, for carry-all-the-time camera the G11 is probably it.

The fact that IQ gets near the big cameras is a gift from Canon.

I tell you what. I will run a test with D300 and PhaseOne P25 as soon as I come back to Bolivia...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I will be in NY for one short week and got some money from selling a few painting, so I think that a system like the Canon that is in model No.11 -- I think they skipped some, no?-- is the perfect camera at the perfect price for the first week of January 2010. The GRX seams too experimental. Remember the Hy6 ?? --sorry, could not resist--

Remember Polaroid, Bronica that left no heirs, no progeny! At least Phase One gobbled up Leaf and Sony Konica-Minolta. If one has Minolta lenses one can still use them!

The Sinar Hy6 is still an excellent camera. A pity the company became a victim of evolution. If one has such a system, I believe it will be repairable for some time, but I have not heard how!

I think it wont be long before Canon puts a decent sized chip in the G sized body, since Sony (with the X-1), Panasonic and Olympus with the micro 4/3) have already done that.

The GXR from Ricoh will be followed by those who love the Ricoh optics. I personally think that the Ricoh interface is second to none and it's one of the best new cameras I've seen. The GXR with a 50mm Macro lens has the x 1.6 Digital Rebel-sized chip and the performance is exceptional. I'll post a review soon.

Asher