• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What is a kilopixel?

Laura Fitch

Hello. I research and purchase photos for a book publisher in my 9 to 5 job. I've just recently ran into this problem and hope this forum can help. A photographer with photos we might like to use in an upcoming project replies with "photos are available as 6 kilopixel jpegs" when I ask for the size in dimensions available. This may sound stupid but can someone please fill me in on exactly how large this would be?

I'm used to kilobytes and megapixels but have never heard of kilopixels so I would appreciate any info.

thank you,
Laura

Doug Kerr

Hi, Laura,

Hello. I research and purchase photos for a book publisher in my 9 to 5 job. I've just recently ran into this problem and hope this forum can help. A photographer with photos we might like to use in an upcoming project replies with "photos are available as 6 kilopixel jpegs" when I ask for the size in dimensions available. This may sound stupid but can someone please fill me in on exactly how large this would be?

I'm used to kilobytes and megapixels but have never heard of kilopixels so I would appreciate any info.
A kilopixel would be 1000 pixels. (Some would say that it is 1024 pixels, but there is no justification for that.)

I suspect your correspondent is screwed up. I wouldn't pay very much for a 6 kpx image. With an aspect ratio of 4:3, its pixel dimensions would be about 89 px x 67 px!

fahim mohammed

Hi Laura.

Your correspondent has got it wrong..inadvertently or otherwise. While a kilo ( 1000 ) pixels is exactly
what they are 1000 pixels, generally they could mean 1024 pixels. Irrespective this unit of measurement
is generally not used for anything photographic in the normal way of things. A kilobyte is taken to mean
'1024' bytes..go figure. Has to do with 2 raised to a power.

In any case, as Doug, has mentioned the figure quoted is just too little.

Regards.

I suspect he means 6 megapixels, which limits the output size somewhat depending on print raster requirements in lines or dots per inch (LPI or DPI).

Bart

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Welcome Laura,

Like Bart, I think that the photographer intended to say "megapixel". (This would be an unusual mistake for an experienced photographer to make.)

I have, however, heard this expression used. Specifically, those who have been disappointed with my work have sometimes accused me of knowing how to kill a pixel.

Jack_Flesher

Hmmm... I think you need to clarify with them. I suspect they might mean 6K pixel jpegs in which case they are small, 200x300 pixel jpegs. A lot of photographers will offer these as online "proofs" for the images they want to sell. This limits image theft as it's hard to do anything useful with a jpeg that small...

Last edited: