• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Issue with Adobe Bridge/ACR/CS2

Jason C Doss

So far, I've been very happy using Adobe Bridge, ACR, and CS2 since recently becoming a RAW convert.

Today, I took 30 or so photos at my step-daughter's birthday party. One, and only one RAW photo is really messed up, but only when viewing as a RAW in Bridge and ACR. I was showing off the RAW files in Bridge to my wife, and they all looked pretty good (for a bunch of photos *I* took, that is). Then, one photo went from normal to crazy... looks like the file is corrupt or something. Here's the odd part... I didn't do anything to make this happen. It was normal one minute, then screwy the next. Here's the image...

image1.jpg

When I open it in ACR, it is screwy for just a moment, then goes back to normal, like this:

image2.jpg

I've tried deleting the photo and redownloading it from the card, but this doesn't seem to work. Nor does rebooting. Only this one image seems affected, and it is NOT affected in DPP or Breezebrowser.

Any ideas on how I can get this image to display normally in Bridge again?

Jason,

sorry about this...

I never had this before but I may have a few ideas

1) move this image to a separate folder (this alone sometimes may help)
2) on this folder, make bridge to purge the meta info
3) if not fixed, reveal this folder in explorer, make sure you can see all system/hidden files and remove everything else except this very file
4) if still messed, go to ACR, tweak ALL possible settings on ALL pages (just a tad, to make sure they' ve changed) and save.
5) as a last resort, try canon's own RAW software (the one that came with your camera, I think there are two possible apps) and repeat step #4 in them

Keep us posted...

HTH

Jason C Doss

Wow, thanks for all these suggestions Nik!

Fortunately, #5 worked, but none of the others did. I opened the photo in DPP (where it has always appeared normally) and made and saved a few changes. Then I opened it up again in Bridge and it looks fine! I made some edits to the RAW file in ACR and it's still fine.

How weird was this, though?

Thanks a lot Nik!!

JohanElzenga

It looks like Bridge made its own thumbnail and screwed that up somehow. That's also why it took a second before it happened. Because DPP can alter the file itself, Bridge rebuilt the thumbnail after you made those changes, and this time it went well.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Last time this happened to me and it happened often, it was a bad RAM chip in the computer, I replaced it and have not seen this for 3 years....

Jason,

Jason C Doss said:
Wow, thanks for all these suggestions Nik!

Fortunately, #5 worked, but none of the others did. I opened the photo in DPP (where it has always appeared normally) and made and saved a few changes. Then I opened it up again in Bridge and it looks fine! I made some edits to the RAW file in ACR and it's still fine.

How weird was this, though?

Thanks a lot Nik!!

Glad it worked out. :)

DPP is one of the few apps that can operate on the file itself, modifying the data directly, rather than adding a side-car, DB entry or some proprietary flags. As such, it's a rather dangerous tool, since all the changes are irreversible and in case of a screw-up you can lose the whole file (unless you operate on copy, etc.). Hence I suggested it as a last resort.

But hey, if pills or herbs don't help, sometimes you need to do a little surgery :)
You just gotta be careful ;-)

Cheers!

Dave New

The Secret Service *is* really out to get you...

Um, you *do* know that Photoshop has a builtin kind-of -secret currency detector?

This was mandated by the U.S. Secret Service, whose job in life (aside from protecting the U.S. President, a job that was added after one of our previous Presidents was shot at, Lincoln, I believe) is to stop gratuitous copying of our precious currency.

This may have nothing to do with what you were experiencing, but if this is the only 'money shot' (pun intended) in your little portfolio, I'd be suspicious.

The existence of this 'money' filter was kept quiet (at the government's request -- you know, security via obscurity), but surfaced a couple of years ago, when folks found that doing a 'strings' search in popular graphics and color printing applications would turn up the URL for the Interpol web site that directs folks to their country's bureaus for protecting the national currency.

Try scanning a bill and loading it into Photoshop, for instance. No, you really don't have to put your hands in the air, but it will make the U.S. Secret Service feel justified in what they bullied all the major software/printer/color copier folks into doing behind our backs.

Tim Armes

Ben Rubinstein said:
Last time this happened to me and it happened often, it was a bad RAM chip in the computer, I replaced it and have not seen this for 3 years....

I had that once too. It took me ages to understand what was going on. I had all sorts of odd things happening - corrupted JPEGs were all too common.

There's a free memory test program somewhere on Microsoft's web site.

Tim