• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM! An OPF orginal

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have been working on this for some time. A marriage home for two fundamental passions!

Music inspires art. Art is used to illustrate and promote music. The two are bound as related life forces. Photography has become the major way in which the ideas and sensuality, wonder and feelings of songs and sounds can be represented visually.

For photographers, music photography has become a market for business and success. Like other vertical markets, it requires work and dedication as well as a love for your subject, here music and lyrics.

We had a bunch of recent nudges, from George "Bear" Bauman and new OPFer Hilary Wolfskill to get going with a showcase and workplace for photography related to music. So we did it and here goes!

The new Music Photography Forum is located here !

Go ahead. Photograph. This is about the best photography you can make to express your inner feelings. Let's have intepretatations of music that inspires you, drives you crazy or that you use to celebrate, comfort or seduce! Post a link to the music, streaming, inexpensive or legal! I'll have excellent free music to download.

Music without accompanying art is welcome for consideration too: as a challenge for photographers to produce images! Good luck! :)

Asher

The photographs and their derivatives are, of course, the © of the photographer and must not be used without license from the copyright owner.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Each night before an important shoot, thinking about crativity I'll have to develop, I like to stay isolated with music surrounding me. Depending of moment and mood it can be all sort of different music… very important in my creative workflow process…

Re:
I'll have excellent free music to download.
unless it is created by you, I wonder how you can have excellent free music…

Asher Kelman

Each night before an important shoot, thinking about crativity I'll have to develop, I like to stay isolated with music surrounding me. Depending of moment and mood it can be all sort of different music… very important in my creative workflow process…

Yes, that's truly a great realtionship. I member playing Bolero and also 1812 before exams with me standing on a sofa and watching the soldiers marching past to war.

Re: unless it is created by you, I wonder how you can have excellent free music…

You forget, my good friend Nicolas, that I have excellent contacts. :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

But you'll go there I hope! I look forward to your impressions. I'm hoping that your own music will be represented too! Either post pictures to go with your own streaming/downloadable/low cost music or send a link to me so that it might be used for a Music Photography Challenge that we can post.

Asher

Asher Kelman

The first Challenge is Ornaments by Vanessa Zarate. She is wonderful and has a pure voice of great range and quality which she is able to modulate and shape at will.

Ornaments for those who wish to listen! Enjoy and be inspired!

Here's the thread .

Can you make a photograph inspired by the song? We'll vote on the submissions! Let us know if you also like her music and might be induced to get into the challenge with us!!

Asher

Asher Kelman

For those who might accept the challenge, just PM me for the complete music, Ornaments!

So far 2 photographers have jumped on board, how about you?

Music and photography are a great pair. This is a wonderful way to excercise your juices, whatever your specialty!

Asher

Doug Kerr

A bassoon reed is born

Hi, Gang,

Young Colombian-American bassoonist María Garavito Buonviri completes a newly-made bassoon reed. "Youll love what I use in the next step", she said. "I'm sure you used it a lot before I was born!" Was I excited - Duco Cement! (Before her mother was born, actually.)

Maria_IMG10270R.jpg

My first date with Carla - actually, "Date 0" - was at Nate Buonviri's recital when he completed his post-master's program in performance (percussion) at the Meadows School of Music at Southern Methodist University here in Dallas. María was studying bassoon there, too.

Before long, it seems, they were married! This shot was taken at their home in Napa, California, where Nate at the time headed the instruumental music department at a large high school. She was making a batch of reeds and invited us to watch the process. Fascinating!

Now, a new generation is with us - would you believe Gian Carlo Buonviri!

Doug Kerr

Conductor at work - fare, please

Hi, Gang,

Here you see moi, conducting my adaptation of a famous brass ensemble arrangement of of Richard Strauss' "Solemn Entry of the Knights of the Order of St. John" on a Creative Labs synthesizer driven by Encore.

DAK_conducts_02R.jpg

This was before I had my moustache!

The MIDI file for the number is available here:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/music/SolemnEntryA02.mid

The organ part is a back-formation from Max Reger's organ transcription of the piece.

This number is planned as the processional for my funeral.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Well Doug, I never thought we'd have a funeral march to illustrate!!

Who were these knights then? What illustrious events did they get involved with?

Is this the real music or are you going to re-record it, LOL!!!!

Will and I are listening to it right now!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hymns by Sousa

John Philip Sousa, then conductor of the United States Marine Band, prepared a band transcription of the beloved hymn Nearer, My God, to Thee to be performed by the Band at the funeral of President James A. Garfield in 1881.

In 1892, Sousa gave up the baton of the Marine Band and formed his own “commercial band”, The Sousa Band. He wished to include Sunday performances in the band’s schedule, but was concerned that religious leaders might feel that such a secular activity was inappropriate on the Sabbath. To defuse such criticism, he included in his Sunday performances his own band transcriptions of a number of hymns and other sacred pieces. Among these works was Songs of Grace and Songs of Glory, a medley of five religious numbers in which he included an updated form of his earlier transcription of Nearer, My God, to Thee.

A while ago, I extracted and adapted the Nearer, My God, to Thee section from a wonderful transcription of the entire Sousa work by Keith Brion, noted Sousa scholar and founder and conductor of The New Sousa Band, and Loras Schissel, founder and conductor of the Great Virginia Military Band and curator of the Sousa collection at the Library of Congress. I also worked from a copy of Sousa's original manscript, which I was able to obtain from a university collection.

The MIDI file is here:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/music/Nearer1A.mid

In my version of the arrangement, there are two lines for euphonium, the instrument of two of my step-grandsons. The bassoon ostinato is in honor of my friend María Buonviri, and the tubular bell part in honor of her husband, Nate Buonviri. The tubular bell part is evocative of a "change ringing" sequence. As arranged here, it requires an extended range set of bells.

Best regards,

Doug

Marian Howell

great stuff doug!!

This number is planned as the processional for my funeral.

i suggest the estate market the live recording of the music -- try to get a good acoustic venue for the service LOL!

seriously, these are lovely arrangements and reflect the research and thought that went into them. i was particularly pleased by the sousa arrangement...due to overexposure to "the stars and stripes forever" for me both professionally and seasonally at this time of year, i thank you for reminding me that sousa was ever so much more than that march!

i'll have to think about this...

Doug Kerr

Sousa hymn - revised

Well, I discovered that the MIDI file I had posted of the Sousa transcription of Nearer. My God, to Thee was not from the latest version of the score. It had some residual clinkers in one of the horn parts.

In addition, I recut the performance into the MIDI file to emphasize the tubular bells part, which was hard to hear in the original rendering. (And the software synthesizers employed by some MIDI file players (often those attached as helpers to browsers) don't do a good job with that instrument anyway.)

If you have a MIDI player that will allow you to engage a bona fide synthesizer (i.e., in your sound card) you will get best results by downloading the file and using those weapons to render it.

I also pushed up the euphonium and tuba lines where those instruments join the bassoon in the ostinato.

Here's the proper file:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/music/Nearer1B.mid

Sorry for the slip!

By the way, one of the two euphonium players to which this arrangement is dedicated is getting married next Saturday! And I forgot to mention that the baritone sax line is dedicated to his mother (my step-daughter-in-law).

Best regards,

Doug