Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography

Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography Photography as a visual artform open to any serious picture, where classical photography is the mode of our expression. Open to all! Not curated. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Old January 13th, 2018, 11:33 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Vintage Processing Analog or Digtal Simulation

We've forgotton such a lot of fine approaches to imaging. The first 100 years allowed photographers to work in so many light-sensitvie media that have been mostly washed away from our consciousness by the razmataz of easy to achieve mgnificent color images.

Still, it's feasable today to pay homage to effects that were enjoyed 50 and 100 years ago or more.

So here's hte challenge. Re work you favorite pictures using digital technioques to reproduce the sense of the precious media that have moved beyond the reaches of most of us.

Of course, anyone who can produce a cyanotype, albumin print or any other genuine analog form, show it here.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:43 PM

My first contribution is of a tree that is the turning point for walkers in Holmby Park. At this point, if one needs to stretch, here's the place, or if one has to stop at a restroom the buddy waits here.

Asher Kelman: Way Point
Holmby Park, California, January 2018

Fuji GFX 32-64 F4.0
Photoshop CC from RAW
Topaz Analog Effects - Albumin
Chocolate Dynamic

Please join me in this homage and exploration of old patinas and presentations.

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 14th, 2018, 04:26 PM

Asher

Love it love it!!! The shadows are stunning that round the front!! The shadows to the right side and shadows under the full of the tree are well done Asher ! I love the sepia approach to this- It lends itself sweetly to vintage photos- Well done Asher

Charlotte-
Old January 14th, 2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte thompson View Post
Asher

Love it love it!!! The shadows are stunning that round the front!! The shadows to the right side and shadows under the full of the tree are well done Asher ! I love the sepia approach to this- It lends itself sweetly to vintage photos- Well done Asher

Charlotte-

Thanks so much Charlotte for the visit and kind words. I think it's helpful to get out of our comfort zone and visit other parts of the universe!

Asher

Old January 15th, 2018, 09:52 AM

Absolutely- Also sometimes the comfort zone becomes extraordinarily wrong and then becomes too unreal and badly managed . This is beautiful
C-
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:54 AM

Hi

my contribute:

this in a very old cultural and industrial aera of northern Italy, with numbers of channels and different waterways between Bologna, Padova and the delta of the river Po.
Since the seventies all those works, ships, carriages and of course the trades and crafts have vanished. Only the waterways, sheds, houses and castles remained ...

Autumn in the Saccisica by Wolfgang Plattner, on Flickr
Fuji X-T2, XF18-55mm
Capture One, Photoshop and textures by Photomorphis
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Plattner View Post
Hi

my contribute:

this in a very old cultural and industrial aera of northern Italy, with numbers of channels and different waterways between Bologna, Padova and the delta of the river Po.
Since the seventies all those works, ships, carriages and of course the trades and crafts have vanished. Only the waterways, sheds, houses and castles remained ...

Fuji X-T2, XF18-55mm

This is a fabulous sight and construction that fits the subject and topic of lost skills, passion and self worth, ascif a beautiful cloud was cleaned away by the einfmd.

I love the texture and will look it up.

Asher

Old January 15th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Hi

my contribute:

Fuji X-T2, XF18-55mm
This is very nice, although since the image is an edited fiction anyway I would have removed the high power line. I would leave the low power one only.
Old January 15th, 2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
This is very nice, although since the image is an edited fiction anyway I would have removed the high power line. I would leave the low power one only.
An eye for detail and I concur. Why didn't eye think of that! It is a very good move as it removes unneeded junk and distraction.

But it does represent the overwhelming footprint of industrial technology!

Still, a simpler version is a more idyllic way of paying respect to the artisans who have vanished!

Asher

Old January 15th, 2018, 01:25 PM

The post processing makes the image appear to have been taken a long time ago. What I meant is that this kind of towers were not common at the time the image appears to be set.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:35 PM

Hi Jerome,

you are an idealist ... but I agree with you, the obviously high(?) powerline is a bit irritating.
On the other hand this shot may have been taken in the very very early sixties and found in a decent rotten leather box of genuine toscanian leatherbag from the twenties near this old shed ...
Old January 16th, 2018, 04:00 AM

Hi

... one of the abandonend villas ...

Old January 16th, 2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Hi

... one of the abandonend villas ...

Elegant! I love the effect!

Asher

Old January 16th, 2018, 02:13 PM

Let me show once again the wonderful benefit of exploring filters to simulate vintage analog processes we lack skills in today!

Asher Kelman: "The Chef Demonstration"

Il fornaio, Beverly Hills, California 2014

Ricoh GR Panorama

As stitched

Asher Kelman: "The Chef Demonstration"

Il fornaio, Beverly Hills, California 2014

Ricoh GR Panorama

Wet Plate Simulation

Asher

Old January 16th, 2018, 08:07 PM

The Joshua Tree from the bus window at disk:

Asher Kelman: Joshua Tree, Night Fall

Asher

Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:06 PM

Asher Kelman: Gardener

Holby Park, January 2018
Fuji GFX, Fuji 32-64, 1/160, f5.6, ISO 200
Photoshop CC 2018 from RAW
Topzz: Albumin Chocolate Dynamic

Welcome to comment!

Asher

Old January 23rd, 2018, 12:23 PM

Default Street Photo