Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photojournalism - Street - Documentary

Old January 13th, 2018, 08:08 PM

Default I Need Coffee

Old January 14th, 2018, 12:45 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post

Hi James,

I like the denizons you bring us. What is the story and did you get him/her the needed coffee?

Is this straight out of the camera B&W or do you process it substantially?

Does the camera give you film effect choices?

Any skin smoothing?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 14th, 2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Hi James,

I like the denizons you bring us. What is the story and did you get him/her the needed coffee?

Is this straight out of the camera B&W or do you process it substantially?

Does the camera give you film effect choices?

Any skin smoothing?

Asher
Hi Asher

I gave her directions to a coffee shop. This came from the Fuji XT2 & XF 56mm f/1.2 the camera has two B&W choices. Acros & Monochrome with different filters. I used the mono setting with pleasing skin tones and only basic adjustments contrast, etc. I generally don't care much about exposure but when doing portraits I like too use spot metering of the skin and look for a mid tone in the upper or lower range. I leave the skin alone, blemishes and all so no skin smoothing.

James
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Hi Asher

I gave her directions to a coffee shop. This came from the Fuji XT2 & XF 56mm f/1.2 the camera has two B&W choices. Acros & Monochrome with different filters. I used the mono setting with pleasing skin tones and only basic adjustments contrast, etc. I generally don't care much about exposure but when doing portraits I like too use spot metering of the skin and look for a mid tone in the upper or lower range. I leave the skin alone, blemishes and all so no skin smoothing.

James
So helpful!

Now if you get a RAW file as well, is it stuck in B&W or is it still RGB and colored?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
So helpful!

Now if you get a RAW file as well, is it stuck in B&W or is it still RGB and colored?

Asher
Hi Asher

I don't shoot raw mostly just JPEG and cook those to taste. I have not tried the new Fuji raw studio software but I am reasonably sure that you can embed the JPEG setting into the raw file. My wife shoots raw with her Olympus system and that's what she does up until now Olympus was the only system that could do this. But now Fuji raw studio has those abilities as well.

James
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Hi, Asher,

Quote:
So helpful!

In a camera with a "tricolor" sensor, I'm not sure what a "B&W raw output" would be.

I guess such a thing could be constructed, but it would require some specific strategy of transforming the original sensor outputs and of then planting them in the file where the original sensor outputs should be, and it's hard to think of such a thing as "raw".

Best regards,

Doug
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
Hi, Asher,

In a camera with a "tricolor" sensor, I'm not sure what a "B&W raw output" would be.

I guess such a thing could be constructed, but it would require some specific strategy of transforming the original sensor outputs and of then planting them in the file where the original sensor outputs should be, and it's hard to think of such a thing as "raw".

Best regards,

Doug
Doug,

It's 16 BIT and mapped, I would guess, in Adobe Adobe RGB with few corrections and less original data dropped off so that the in camera adjustments to create a jpg are not employed.

Asher

Old January 16th, 2018, 09:26 PM

Raw or cooked; this one would be welcome in any coffee house.

Nice catch James.
Old January 17th, 2018, 07:14 PM

I like the photo. I'm surprised that you do not use RAW as I thought most photographers did. Turned out good anyways... and you always have such interesting characters in your portraits!
Old January 18th, 2018, 07:17 AM

Fahim, Maggie

Thanks for the comments!

Life is too short for shooting raw Maggie I just like making pictures.

James
Old January 18th, 2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Fahim, Maggie

Thanks for the comments!

James
Well, what percentage of pictures are perfectly processed in camera?

I can see with my new Fuji that the in camera engine is excellent for color but it might still be dark inpkaces thatcwere less well lit.

What do you do for that?

Asher

Old January 18th, 2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Well, what percentage of pictures are perfectly processed in camera?

I can see with my new Fuji that the in camera engine is excellent for color but it might still be dark inpkaces thatcwere less well lit.

What do you do for that?

Asher
Hi Asher

Exposure is what it is I don't worry to much about it. You should be able to customize your tones in the camera menu or quick menus by adjusting highlights, shadows, etc. You could also assign them custom profiles for your preferences .

You should download the new free "Fuji Raw studio" this will allow you to change any setting you like when shooting raw to whatever is in the camera menu after the fact.

You can find the down load at the bottom of page at the following link.

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n171130.html

James
Old January 18th, 2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Fahim, Maggie

Thanks for the comments!

James
Iím with you James. I have never had a client complain or refuse my work because I shot in jpeg instead of raw. In fact I have never had one ask if I shoot in raw, so have never lost a job because I donít. Even on forums or social media if anyone doesnít like my photographs, itís because of the content not because it is shot as a jpeg. Probably much like you, I am not needing to explore all the possibilities or become discontent with an image way into the future just because technology has improved. I tweak what comes out of camera to my taste and move on.

óó
Old January 18th, 2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Watcher View Post
Iím with you James. I have never had a client complain or refuse my work because I shot in jpeg instead of raw. In fact I have never had one ask if I shoot in raw, so have never lost a job because I donít. Even on forums or social media if anyone doesnít like my photographs, itís because of the content not because it is shot as a jpeg. Probably much like you, I am not needing to explore all the possibilities or become discontent with an image way into the future just because technology has improved. I tweak what comes out of camera to my taste and move on.

óó
Hi Robert

Good to hear from you! I like many of the benefits of shooting jpeg especially when it comes to the speed of things and storage. One must also consider 10 years down the road and whether or not computers will be able to open the myriad of different proprietary camera raw file formats. Where as jpegs will be around for a long time.

Best, regards
James