• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In the beginning of the "roaring forties"

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
In 1999, the skipper of Mari-Cha III - a splendid 145 feet modern yachts- called me from Sydney to ask if I was available to come shooting a video of the Sydney to Hobart race on board.

The Sydney to Hobart race is a "classic" race, known for decades by all sailors to be one of the toughest one… in 1998 many sailors were lost during this race because of enormous gales.

However I could not say no. I have dreamed since I 've drink my first glass of salted water to attend this race!

I knew it was going to be one of the biggest experience of my sailor's life, I knew it was going to be tough.
It was.

I have shown you here in OPF for some years now some "idyllic" images of yachts, sometimes, sailing is a different experience, not for the same kind of clientele.

Now's the time to show you the life of real yachtmen in the high seas.
Now, you should fasten your seat belt and sea what a 45 meters yacht can be in rough sea, running 32 knots with more than 45 knots of wind and big waves…

I have been cold, I have been wet, but I have been happy and never felt anxious, thanks to the international professionnal crew (British, Swiss, Frenchs, Australians and New-Zelanders) 18 strong guys ready to beat the record. Which they did.

This film has been shot by me before my son Romain took the hand on the video thing in our agency. I also did the editing, trying to let the spectator feel the calm but full of pressure time of preparation, then the long runs at sea and finaly the relief in Hobart.

This race started on December 25, 1999. I arrived from France on the 24 in Sydney and left Hobart on the 27. Too short! I promised to myself to come back there for a longer trip, Tasmania looks incredibly wild and beautiful.

Enough talks now, relax, prepare yourself a glass of your favorite drink, forget the rest of your life for a short while, you gonna experience something you never did before.

Enjoy! here

PS the 1st images shot from helicopter during the arrival of the Atlantic record have been shot by http://www.pplmedia.com/

Holy Cow Nicolas! What an experience that had to have been. I was nervous just watching so I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like in person. 32 knots is wild and crazy speed. I am very glad to be associated, albeit in a small way through this forum, with someone who has actually taken part in and succeeded in something like this. Thank you for sharing the experience with us.
James

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks James

I do love that American exclamation "Holy Cow" !

32 knots, on such a boat is really fast, but not crazy, the size (and the built quality) of the yacht makes it safer...
One may be very carefull not to fall overboard though!

Andy brown

Hi Nicolas, yes indeed an amazing experience to compete and complete the Sydney to Hobart. The race and its competitors are held in high esteem here. I live on the far south east coast of Australia ( just near Eden and Green Cape), the last points before heading south into Bass Strait.

The weather in this part of the world is fickle, two days ago northerly winds generated temperatures of 43C(110F) but tonight in Bass Strait a 70kmh southerly is howling and temps on Flinders Island are around 10C and on top of Mt Wellington)0.5C with a wind chill putting the apparent temp at minus 16C

Tasmania is wild and beautiful and has magnificent world heritage listed national parks.

Here's a link to some landscape work by the late Peter Dombrovskis.
There are a lot of good landscape pros working in Tassie.
Peter was very good and influential in conservation of wild areas of Tasmania.
http://wildernessgallery.cart.net.au/cat/2048327.html.

I sailed a yacht for the first time last week, great fun, a taste of things to come.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Nic

I'm in awe! I used to be terribly seasick, but I really really wanted to go to the Hebrides and to Knoydart so had to overcome my sea-sickness, I resolved to go on a boat again for the first time in many years, I was determined to beat it so I started out with rowing boats (LOL!) then small car ferries, then fishing trips on small boats, so far I've worked my way up to day trips on island cruises. Now I enjoy the experience (as long as it's not too rough!)

What an amazing experience this must have been for you and all the crew, thank you for sharing this with us, and showing me something I'm sure I will never experience....

This film has been shot by me before my son Romain took the hand on the video thing in our agency. I also did the editing, trying to let the spectator feel the calm but full of pressure time of preparation, then the long runs at sea and finaly the relief in Hobart.

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for sharing. The speed is amazing. It must have been difficult keeping your balance while being sprayed with saltwater, and pushed and pulled at by the wind, while the deck is moving below your feet. It brought back some happy memories. Thanks.

Bart