• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mr. Olympia 2009

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
I have been keeping very busy, and last week you would have found me at the 2009 Mr. Olympia bodybuilding competition in Las Vegas Nevada. You can click here for a link that will take you to slide shows of my photos. And here are a couple to keep you entertained...

Jay Cutler, the 2009 Mr. Olympia...

O2009_0177-logo.jpg

And guys from the 202 pound class on stage for pre-judging...

Olympia2009_202_pre_0037.jpg

And again the link to the .... Photo Slideshows

All photographed with a Canon 5D and Canon L lenses.

I hope you enjoy them!

Mike Shimwell

Anatomical drawing?

Ian, you need to tell us that these guys are really pussycats and wouldn't hurt a fly. Nice work again.

Mike

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
Thanks for the kind remarks!

I know you don't mean to stereotype and are just being humorous, I take no offense. But just for the sake of conversation, a few things you might find interesting.

Bodybuilders are pretty much the same population mix you find anywhere. The majority are married with a couple of kids, as well as the standard mix of married, divorced, kids, and in heterosexual monogamous relations. There is no more homosexuality in the sport than the general population, if anything maybe somewhat less because of the "macho" stigma that pervades.

Many of the guys are successful, if not very successful business people either in 'the' business or otherwise. And you will find all of the professions, I know lawyers, structural engineers and others. And the educational backgrounds can be staggeringly impressive.

Now that doesn't mean that some of the guys don't just work as physical trainers or such. But in general knowing these people as I do, you would be very surprised. I am all the time.

Thanks for the kind remarks!

I know you don't mean to stereotype and are just being humorous, I take no offense. But just for the sake of conversation, a few things you might find interesting.

Bodybuilders are pretty much the same population mix you find anywhere. The majority are married with a couple of kids, as well as the standard mix of married, divorced, kids, and in heterosexual monogamous relations. There is no more homosexuality in the sport than the general population, if anything maybe somewhat less because of the "macho" stigma that pervades.

Many of the guys are successful, if not very successful business people either in 'the' business or otherwise. And you will find all of the professions, I know lawyers, structural engineers and others. And the educational backgrounds can be staggeringly impressive.

Now that doesn't mean that some of the guys don't just work as physical trainers or such. But in general knowing these people as I do, you would be very surprised. I am all the time.

Hi Ian,

Just to give my personal view.

I separate your photography from what your subjects do to their bodies. I think you do a good job of capturing the result of a lot of dedication.

Unfortunately, that dedication of your subjects also involves health destroing steroids and a questionable fixation on appearance, the outer shell. However, while I question the psychological (and resulting destructive) aspects of that dedication, I look at your work from a photographical angle.

You try, and succeed, to portrait the exterior while (literaly) focusing on the aesthetics. Aesthetics is of course a matter of personal preference (which changes with time), but I'm fascinated by what these bodybuilders are able to achieve (with the help of steroids, but also a lot of hard work and adjustments of life style/nutrition). Through your series of images we also get a bit of an idea (hopefully correct) about a specific culture that most of us are not familiar with.

I assume that your images are welcomed in the bodybuilding society, you certainly have a feeling for what's needed and appreciated. They also provide an educational aspect for others, which is appreciated. I hope you continue to post your work, I'd like to follow your work and progression.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have been keeping very busy, and last week you would have found me at the 2009 Mr. Olympia bodybuilding competition in Las Vegas Nevada. You can click here for a link that will take you to slide shows of my photos.

Jay Cutler, the 2009 Mr. Olympia...

O2009_0177-logo.jpg

Ian,

This success in demonstrating the human anatomy is an amazing feat of dedication to an concept no matter what obstacles and sacrifices have to be made. I find the figures impressive and appreciate that this is a fashion.

Good work!

Asher

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
Thank you again or the kind words!

Yes it is amazing what can be done in the development of a body. Actually one of my favorite magazine features is one that is going into it's third year. Monthly I get to shoot and write about an individuals who are just "regular" people who have entered this world but certainly not at this Olympia level.

I get to know them in real life as well as photograph them in the settings of my choice. No different than the rest of us, I have featured a guy working for the gas company, a K-9 cop, a woman firefighter, a Mom with 6 kids. Coming up I have a Navy Corpsman.

I really enjoy that because I get to show them as regular people just like you and I, with dreams and hopes, love of their children and family.

My work is somewhat of a unique position in photography and I am rewarded with doing it as an occupation and an estimated viewing audience of my photos of approximately six million pair of eyes monthly both online and in print.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wonder how it would appear with one of these fellow in a more conventional setting and without the shine?

Asher

Rick Greely

Ian.
Great photos. I too have an appreciation for the dedication and work put into such physiques, having worked for more than 20 years with professional bodybuilding. Again great photos.

Kevin Guthrie

I love your photos. But I have to disagree about these guys being "normal". The bodybuilding lifestyle if very unhealthy. Let's face it, to get into the single digits of fat loss where you only have the fat around your organs left is really walking on the edge. Not to metion all the "other" things happening in that type of lifestyle. I think the bodybuilding lighting washes out alot of the vascularity on them and only in person you will realize how big they are.