• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

afghan riding style

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
know its not everyones choice re sport, but heres a shot from Buzkashi today, amazing riding skills, and a break from routine for me!!!

http://www.wildpix.net/docs/equip/riding.php

Martin Best

www.wildpix.net

Martin,

I know loading from Afghanistan might be slow, so I've linked it here. I hope it now loads fast. such beautiful pictures need to be shown on the page to knock people over immediately!

Buz1.jpg

Martin Best: Riding Afghan Style

Where is this going on? Is this sport the origin for polo? Do they play as individuals or have a team? What are the rules, beside not falling of your horse!

Asher

martin best

Good question as to whats going on, it seems pretty synonymous with Afghanistan in general, very loose (read no) rules, every man for himself at times, team sport at others (depends on prize) violent, hectic, and fast!

Object is basically like football, get the ball (headless calf in this case) avoid as many other players as possible, ride out to a flag and return to the goal and place calf in a chalk circle, whilst avoiding the whips, horses, or whatever. Whips across hands are allowed, and rearing your horse onto the other rider is not only permissible, but applauded.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Martin,

Is there a referree or do the they just being out real weapons if there's a disagreement? Also, what rules are there:

Horses or mares, size of mount, metal on shoes, kind of whip, fines for hitting someone in the face, size of the field, number of palyers etc?

Asher

Martin,

Is there a referree or do the they just being out real weapons if there's a disagreement? Also, what rules are there:

Horses or mares, size of mount, metal on shoes, kind of whip, fines for hitting someone in the face, size of the field, number of palyers etc?

Asher,

I believe it is the national sport of Afghanistan: Buzkashi. There's more info e.g. on Wikipedia.

Cheers,
Bart

martin best

Bart
Youre quite correct, Buzkashi is the name, and its an amazing sport, i ride every now and then when my security team aren't around. will try and post some other images, I did a photo book on it here, and has sold quite well. (well my parents both bought copies :) seriously, have shifted 80+ at last count, new print run on way.

re rules/referree, hmm, no ref, there is a guy who gets involved when the calf is on th ground and no progress in moving it after 5mins or so, but thats about it. no weapons allowed except whips, (knives were used until 50years ago or so.
each area has its own type of buzkashi, some is set out on the open plains with no out of bounds, but here in Kabul its generally played in an arena, not that means they have to (or do) stay in it however.!!

Front feet of horses are shod, back feet are au nature, heres me on Black horse (believe it or not all horses are referred to by their colour, this one is called"black" horse. and yes there are other black horses in same stable, who are also referred to as Black horse, (i gave up asking.) ps, they rear vertical on demand, 1 expat here didnt realize this and was killed recently going over the back.
b1.jpg

Jameson Smith

Very cool Martin! it's a great capture of a sport that the vast majority of people wouldn't have a chance to see. Well done!