• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

3 plant pots

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi,

I would do that from straight above with a very thin sharpness, just enough to get the tips of the plants sharp.
From that position I'd try a desaturation and lightning of the ground ... but, eh ... that's a hard job to do ...

I'm wondering if Jerome is talking about the focus of the plants and how they are all in great focus while the d.o.f. drops off right at the pot.

I'm thinking that perhaps it was done with some focus stacking, but only to the point of getting the plants in focus, perhaps? So only 3 images used?

Jerome Marot

Cem Usakligil is right: this is an application of Scheimpflung, and the lens was tilted. The pots are viewed at an angle (or we would only see the top of the plants above them) yet all three are in focus. The depth of field is narrow or the ground would be sharp.

I posted this because I wondered whether experienced photographers would notice that something was not quite usual in what is a picture of a relatively plain subject. I know that non-photographers do not notice anything particular. Of course, I could not ask the question directly ("do you notice that the three plants should not all be sharp") without giving the answer, and I was really interested to find out whether the trick would be too obvious. Thank you.

Other comments:
-I don't think that lightening the ground would improve the picture, it would rather somewhat flatten the perspective.
-texture of the plants: some color correction of the reds and some sharpening, but the plants are really like that in that light.
-focus stacking: I don't think focus stacking software can do that easily. It is normally intended to render everything sharp. I could have used a sharp picture all over and blurred the parts in post, but that would be very hard to do.
-eye level: that would give more importance to the pots and less to the plants, wouldn't it?

Another picture taken that day:

Full resolution (if you want to enjoy the details...).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Jerome,

This presentation is enjoyable, especially the softness and variation of the background. "Presentation" is something the T/S helps considerably and here you've used it to good effect. However, the technique was masked by the quality of the picture. I myself was into the picture and the technique didn't get attention.

Asher