• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

another one to hit

What a season, we are in for another storm warning today, they expect ~90kts (170kmh).... sleet, hail, damage to be expected.

LOL, and last week I found a fresh coconut on the beach. Doh!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Georg,

"Another one to hit"? Don't you mean "Another one to eat?

So, what ocean current could have brought it there to the Irish Coast? Or was it already shaved?

Asher

Looks like this time we are spared in the NW and the SE will be hit hardest. AFAIK the lowpressure system developed over some time.

They started to deploy sandbags and issued flood warnings.

Having said that, this of course is nothing against some severe weather I witnessed during my time in the states, Tornados in NC etc., mindblowing stuff.

StuartRae

Hi Georg,

Looks like this time we are spared in the NW and the SE will be hit hardest.

Here in Wiltshire, which isn't either SW or SE, but more like central S, we're forecast 40mph with gusts up to 80mph with the worst during Monday evening and night. I guess that if I drink enough single malt I may sleep through it....... :)

Regards,

Stuart

StuartRae

Hi Georg,

The whiskey did the trick!

It wasn't as bad as forecast here on Monday, but this afternoon has seen speeds of 60mph at RAF Lyneham just a few miles away.
It looks like it's going to be your turn overnight, with gusts up to 70mph off the W coast of Ireland already'

(Source http://www.xcweather.co.uk/)

Keep safe!

Regards,

Stuart

Thanks Stuart!

Yep, right in the middle at the moment, 3 power cuts already in the last 20 minutes, probably I will be of the line very soon, as usual. The lights across the bay are already out.

Supposed to reach bloody 95mph gusts where I am. I just was out for a few minutes to get a feel for it. Certainly is amongst the strongest I experienced since the 4 years I live here. Currently sleet is battering against the windows.

By tomorrow the dunes will look different again.

I feel sorry for that shetland pony on the beach. The "animal lover" as he called himself, the owner, I had a chat with him about the Thoroughbred he owns as well. Of course, his first blah blah was " Did you hear about Monty Roberts..."

Yes Dude, I do in deed, I used to live on a cherkoee horsebreeding operation in NC and I know a few people myself. However, your Toroughbred is not supposed to be out in the Winter without ANY shelter....

Makes me so sick those people. Rich farts with more money than sense. Well, good thing is that it worked, he took the Thoroghbred away from the Oceanside and gave him another spot with shelter. However, left the pony completly on her own.

I look forward to meet him again. Grmbl... Bloody Fool.

Here we go, power is out... I have to go, my UPS is good only for a short while.

So long...

janet Smith

pro member
No damage, pony looking rough but happy. <smile>

Glad to hear you had no damage Georg, rough night here too, not much sleep had by anyone here either. I was glad to see the oak in my garden's still standing, it's too near the house really but has a conservation order on it so there's nothing we can do about it apart from regular maintenance... Let's hope for a quiet night tonight!

....not too bad... something like 12,000 without power until tomorrow. No damage, pony looking rough but happy. <smile>

Hi Georg, glad things didn't get not too bad. The peak activity is passing here right now, but it's nothing compared to a couple other storms I've been in (both on land and on water) during the last couple of decades. The wind gusts can cause some surprises yet, but when one respects the forces of nature and keeps at a safe distance from stupid people, things will blow over.

Bart