• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

another great one passes......

Bill Graham

As a subscriber to LensWork magazine, I've always enjoyed and looked forward to Bill Jay's EndNotes. So, when the latest issue arrived, I was saddened to hear of his passing....

I'll quote these words from David Hurn(of Magnum) as published in LensWork #83(and hope no one sues me):

"It is difficult for me to talk about Bill without becoming gushing and sentimental.

We first met in the late 1960's. Ours was a relationship which developed in such a way that he ultimately became a brother than simply a friend.

His staggering enthusiasm for what he considered the best of photography was infectious. Whenever you met him he made you feel photography was worthwhile.

For me he was the most interesting of writers on photography, partly because he wrote in a language that we all actually speak, and partly because he was less interested in passing on his personal philosophy but more in explaining the actual practices of photographers who made up the majority of his friends.

He enriched my life and no one can ask for more than that from another."

His website is Bill Jay on Photography . He published a book of interviews with David Hurn, on being a photographer - A Practical Guide

Educator, photographer, critic, art historian, cynic, however you want to categorize Bill we all are the less for his passing.

Just thought I'd share,
Bill

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Bill,

Thanks for putting up a notice on a great man. I too treasure Lenswork. It's a huge labor of love!

Asher