• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Workflow in Aperture/Photoshop

james bourret

I am still trying to get a handle on an ideal Aperture/Photoshop/Aperture workflow. I am running AP on in iMac Intel duocore, and want to adopt PSCS2, which will not run well (I understand) on the Intel Mac. I currently use PS Elements, but when I adopt PSCS2 and until Adobe releases PSCS2 Universal, it seems I will have to transfer files to my G4 laptop (OS10.4.7) by way of my external hard drive, work on the image file in PS , then transfer the file back to the iMac via the hard drive. This seems highly cumbersome. Can any one comment on the workflow and offer any suggestions? Any one have info on when Adobe will release the Universal version of PSCS2?
Thanks,
Jamie

Aaron Strasburg

My iMac won't run Aperature, so I can't comment on the particulars of the flow. Adobe has previously said PSCS3 will be the first Universal Binary and it is to be released in Q3CY07, nearly a year from now. I find it hard to believe they will take that long, but that's what has been publicly stated.

I've seen benchmarks of PSCS2 running under Rosetta that are actually surprisingly competitive. Some even show an advantage over the native G5 BM.

I think I'll wait for CS3 to upgrade to a Mac Pro. Maybe....

BobSmith

I run PSCS2 on an Intel IMac (2GHZ Duo) and a G4 Powerbook (1.6GHZ). They are very similar in speed with a possible slight edge going to the Powerbook. I wouldn't move files between the two just for the very minor speed difference.

If you do want to move files between the two, network them together. Both have gigabit ethernet connections. With a proper network setup you could have one computer reading and writing files to the other's hard drive very nearly just as fast as reading/writing to own disk.

JohanElzenga

james bourret said:
I am still trying to get a handle on an ideal Aperture/Photoshop/Aperture workflow. I am running AP on in iMac Intel duocore, and want to adopt PSCS2, which will not run well (I understand) on the Intel Mac. I currently use PS Elements, but when I adopt PSCS2 and until Adobe releases PSCS2 Universal, it seems I will have to transfer files to my G4 laptop (OS10.4.7) by way of my external hard drive, work on the image file in PS , then transfer the file back to the iMac via the hard drive. This seems highly cumbersome. Can any one comment on the workflow and offer any suggestions? Any one have info on when Adobe will release the Universal version of PSCS2?

There is absolutely no reason to do that. Photoshop CS2 may run a little bit slower on your Intel Mac than it would on a G5 Mac, but it runs perfectly well. By the way, Photoshop Elements is also not 'Universal' yet.