• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wedding Art

DLibrach

Well, as per the request of Asher I'm posting this shot here for comments and critique. I know there is a wedding section but it was suggested that this might be a more appropriate area to post this particular photo.

I'm only begining my adventure in to the realm of art photography as well as weddings and would appreciate any feedback.

As mentioned in the introduction area, I am working with an established photographer this season so that I can learn as much as I can in a relatively 'safe' environment.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. The entire gallery can be found here: http://davidlibrach.smugmug.com/gallery/790792

35108421-L-1.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
hgmoore said:
Dave, that is one good shot, should be "The star of the show" in that wedding album.

harvey

I like this picture for a number of reasons. One special one is that it departs from the formal required family shots that are documentary, perfect and franky, boring!

Here the photograph shows some "master hand" at work, directing people to have their own space and individuality. Sure it is posed. So is a cello concerto. It can still have "magic"

Here, the distracting color has gone. The banished hues, as luminence values, provide creative definition or obfuscation and in fact, show more.

This, IMHO, is the beginning of art.

No more from me! Now, let's have OPF members give their reaction to this picture and its selection from Dave's portfolio. Feel free to express your views honestly but constructively.

Please remember that you are looking at a small version of the image. If you request, Dave might be persuaded to post certain portions at higher magnification.

Let the critique begin

Asher

Last edited:

Harvey Moore

David, a bit more on my view of this shot.

In the early 70s I shot some pictures for a friend and his fiance' and made a couple of sepia toned bw prints. The setting was a covered porch of an old log cabin, smaller than your cabin but similar. They used one of the images on their wedding invitations.

The reaction from recipients of the invitations were a bit surprising to the three of us. The younger crowd liked them, the older crowd was very critical because it was not traditional.

Your picture here conveys to me the permanence of marriage by using an old style setting and look with contemporary subjects and equipment. It almost could be a shot of a wedding party joining the Martins and the 'Coys of feud fame. The couple on the right are a little bit isolated from the main group and their expression is somewhat different from the rest. It helps make the shot for me.

I hope it was enjoyed by all.

harvey

Asher Kelman

There is another strong reaction I have.

They seem to have removed themselves from the hustle and bustle of regular life to be somewhere special for the bride and groom.

That is, IMHO, a significant part of why this is a good picture.

although, now Harvey added his experience, I must ask, what was the reaction to this from older and younger people?

Asher

KrisCarnmarker

I am actually not quite sure how I feel about this picture.

I really like the general feeling I get from the image. As was mentioned earlier, it is obviously posed, but there is a natural and relaxed feeling about it. Happiness and contentment, not only from the bride and groom but the whole troop. I also very much like the feeling of old and new; the log cabin and the modern dresses. The sepia toning obviously helps in setting this mood as well.

What I really don't like is the blown highlights. I think the horizontal lines on the cabin and the bride's dress are far too distracting, thus detracting from the picture as a whole. I know this is all intentional, but I didn't like the first such picture I saw and I still don't like it after seeing what feels like a gazillion such pictures. To me it is just a gimmick. But hey, that's just me. I'm obviously a minority :)

I also think the sepia toning is way overused nowadays, but this picture is a textbook example of when the effect is very successful.

Overall, I think I like the picture a lot. Any chance of seeing a version without the overexposure?

/Kris

DLibrach

Well, I want to thank you all for the taking the time to not only look at the photo but to also offer your honest and open opinion. I appreciate it all and I am glad that everyone spoke so freely.

To be honest, I struggled quite a bit with the processing of this photo. I agree with many of the above about combining the old and the new and for the most part I am happy with it.

That being said, I must agree with Kris that the blown highlights were a bit distracting to me too. However, I decided to keep them, partially due to the original photo, but also because it was such an unconventional photo in so many other ways that I decided I might as well go all out.

I have received many comments on this photo both positive and negative. It is strange that the majority of photographers/artists tend to like this but others are a little unsure of it. The couple themselves were fond of it but not incredibly so. They preferred many of the other shots over this one including many that I would consider too 'photoshoped'. But then again, they are the clients.......

Cheers,
Dave

Asher Kelman

I ignored the blown out highlights. They do bother me, but the escape from the formal groupings by any rope, parachute or armed bandit is welcome.

I wonder how a blurred picture might look with the highlights intact?

Asher :)

Asher Kelman

Dave,

We've had some interesting range of opinions. Most like the setting which is respite from the perfectly wonderful "tin-solder" approach that everone loves and expects.

I wonder how we would do wsith a challenge for alternative pos-processing of the original file?

So Dave, might you make this file available as RAW as possible, an let's see the variety of artistry we have here.

I really like this threas because it is one which deala with a real picture intended for printing and a real photographer for whom the rection to the image can be a reason for grtting nore future clients.

This is what we are here for. Helping to get a photogrphers vision to print in the most excellent way.

So is the challenge on, Dave?

DLibrach

Although I would have no problems sending out the original file, it is not easily accesible. I have recently changed computers and this is sitting on the hard drive of my old computer and I have yet to transer the files over.

However, I am up for challenges and, if you can wait a few days, will work on that this weekend.

Asher, would you prefer that I email it to individuals that are interested? Or shoudl it just be posted on-line? Again though, It'll have to wait 'til the weekend.

Cheers,
Dave

Asher Kelman

Dave, it is probably easier if you post it online where it can be downloaded with a password say OPFdave so that only people who have been following this thread would have a clue!

Thanks for being such a sport!

Asher

Tony Field

Hi David,

Very fine photo indeed. It certainly has characteristics which set it apart from the mainstream of wedding images. The monochrome is very fine and the setting is well chosen with good composition.

However, is this art? IMHO, it is "artistic" as opposed to "art". There is too much of a photojournalist perspective to the image.

Another problem noted is the way it displays with the colour of the fourm background colour - the forum background is far too bright. I think your image would look much superior if there were a dark background (darker than middle grey - maybe about (60,60,60)? (( maybe we should have an "art display" thread :)

Asher Kelman

Hi Tony,

That is a great idea, alternatively for now maybe add a border of appropriate grey around the picture to be posted.

Meanwhile, I'll put this idea to Nicolas Claris in Bordeaux who heads the desgin effort.

Asher