• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Centered Horizons

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This has a centered horizon, though it's not immediately apparent. But, it is far from symmetrical.

I think some of the sky could have been cropped, but not enough to bring the horizon up to the "thirds" line. A certain amount of the gray sky is necessary for the feeling.

3463484-lg.jpg

Boardwalk

Charles,

As soon as you include a path, it can demand more than it's share as it owns the master metaphor of all human existence, "life as a journey". Then the sky cannot be cropped, as it is doing the work needed for bringing to the picture "mood" and a feeling of "heavens above the earth" that are both so valuable to this picture. Cropping should be governed by meaning and how you want the picture to be read. folk will have to catch up and relax their rules if need be, but the experience will always be richer.

So here, I'd crop nothing!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Another centered horizon, this one taken a couple months ago in Eastern Iowa:

original.jpg

Bales by the Moquoketa​

The inspiration for the centered horizon is the same as that for the previous photo. The land has evidence of lines created by man, while the sky has striations created by nature. In between the two is the Moquoketa River and a hint of the river road following the Mississippi River. I love this area.

This aint the Grand Canyon or Niagra Falls, but there is something about the place...

Tom,

Here, you could add as much sky as you like as the land is richly layered with horizontal lines and trees that traverse from so agreeably from one zone of the picture to another in an irregular, staggered set of groupings. So, if there are other pictures with more sky, consider stitching on a little more! With
a strong landscape like this, it can take it easily.

Asher