• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rock River in Illinois

The major rivers of the Midwest—the Illinois; the Mississippi; the Rock; the Green; etc.—all played a role in the history of the area but, generally speaking, none of them are in-your-face gorgeous. Sometimes the weather will lend a helping hand. Snow works wonders on occasion. Fog can help too. Here's a recent f'rinstance taken early one recent morning:

original.jpg

Islands in the Fog​

Rock River in Ogle County of Illinois viewed from a bluff of Castle Rock State Park.

The major rivers of the Midwest—the Illinois; the Mississippi; the Rock; the Green; etc.—all played a role in the history of the area but, generally speaking, none of them are in-your-face gorgeous. Sometimes the weather will lend a helping hand. Snow works wonders on occasion. Fog can help too. Here's a recent f'rinstance taken early one recent morning:

original.jpg

Islands in the Fog​

Rock River in Ogle County of Illinois viewed from a bluff of Castle Rock State Park.

I love the fog and how it adds such a great amount of mood to an image. This one is wonderful with all the bare trees and the very soft reflections on the lake. Nice! :)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

original.jpg

Tom Robbins: Islands in the Fog

Tom,

Rob called this "romantic" but for me, it's different. I find this work more contemplative and reflective. It sets a mood for reconsideration of everything!

BTW, I do appreciate, (your once again noted), affinity for "rust". The bush at the right, to me, is just that! It's not as bold as a "burning bush" of Biblical stories, but still a bold element that gets our attention as a free-form abstract and hence assignable symbol of something we wish to contrast the mystery of the place with. It's surprising to me that such a clearly rendered scene can be successfully used by our brains to represent and muse on diverse themes in a mental exploration and a relaxed period of just allowing for imagination and underlying thoughts to take over.

This is a unique and satisfying photograph that I'd not get tired of ever as on each visit, the elements of the picture can be reassigned to different attributes the viewer is currently balancing out!

This would work printed about 4ft x 10ft and to me would approach, in a significant way, our experiences of the paintings by Monet of Water Lilies as a tool for relaxation and mediation. Of course, we'd have to pay 100 million dollars for the Monet but we would get lilies of exceptional beauty thrown in with the same mood of tranquility and reflection.

Your picture, plus a fountain with floating water lily plants would get close to the total magic experience of the Monet paintings, but without the need to rob 2 dozen banks! :)

Asher

Thank you Maggie, Rob, and Asher!

I've been returning to this particular spot for a number of years now. It seems to change character with each visit and season. I suspect almost everyone who enjoys exploring landscape photography keeps a handful of such local places up their sleeve. Hmmm, now maybe there's an idea for a challenge.

You've cut to the chase once again, Asher. The rusty bush in the foreground conveniently served a couple purposes: to provide a sense of depth, and to add some color—albeit rather dark—to an otherwise gray scene.

Just for fun, here's the same place seen on a visit a few weeks earlier.

original.jpg

Rock River, Bluff View in Late Autumn​

Canon 24mm TS-E lens was used with the camera body in landscape orientation for both photos. The above was shifted vertically, while the foggy one was shifted horizontally.

Asher Kelman

Tom,

I'm happy to see the missing picture. It's so well done and the square format, while surprising, works. As it is, I would admire the rich Velvia saturated colors and generous rusts and the mirror reflections in the water.

Still, the first picture is so special for that poetics and tranquility! I'd love to see more seasons and one in the rain......but I'm greedy!

Asher

Thanks Asher,

This is one of my favorite Rock River vantage points, but it's far enough away from home that conditions can be somewhat unpredictable at time of arrival. This one is from a late winter morning a couple years ago.

original.jpg

/Rock River, Bluff View in March​

Not one of my best efforts, but all one can do is to keep trying as long as one is able.

Asher Kelman

Thanks Asher,

This is one of my favorite Rock River vantage points, but it's far enough away from home that conditions can be somewhat unpredictable at time of arrival. This one is from a late winter morning a couple years ago.

original.jpg

/Rock River, Bluff View in March​

Not one of my best efforts, but all one can do is to keep trying as long as one is able.

This is a treat, Tom! The finding of snow really makes the series! Do you also still have the left half of the scene too to match the first picture, by any chance?

Asher

Antonio Correia

If I have correctly understood Asher is asking if you have the frame of the first image but in two different seasons...
This is what came to my mind while looking at the Autumn and March images.
Kind of a calendar: same place, same frame, different season !

BTW I love the first one !
:)