• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

3rd helicopter shot ?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hmmmm

Yes we had another assignement to shoot both from a chase boat and helicopter the new Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 55…
A good opportunity to try the new settings I wanted to explore after the 1st two helicopter shots.

Damned! for this time the weather were not with us, and, despite waiting for 3 days, we had to cancel the helicopter ride and keep the Hy6 in its case…

For sure we'll have soon some new opportunities but in the meantime, may we offer you a video "making-of" shooting form an helicopter?

Ready? Fasten your seat belt! Go! the one on top of page…

[EDIT] and you'll also see the revolving back in action…[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Hi Nicolas,

It gives a nice impression how the whole planning has to come together at the time of actual shooting.

How do you judge the Autofocus, or do you focus manually? In the shooting of interiors, is it easy to focus by using the waist level finder WLF, is the viewing screen bright enough in dimly lit surroundings?

Thanks for sharing,
Bart

nicolas claris

Hi Bart

I use the AFD.
As I need a lot of DOF, I don't have problem with the auto focus, eventually point and reframe…
I don't use the 40 mm wich is manual only, as I don't have time to frame, adjust horizon, and set the aperture (priority to speed) AND focus.

Thet viewing screen would be bright enough, but I should change the "dépoli" (don't know the name in English) for better accuracy, I think Rollei have some… Thierry?

Of course for interiors I use the 40 mm and focus easily manually, while on tripod.

Cem_Usakligil

For sure we'll have soon some new opportunities but in the meantime, may we offer you a video "making-of" shooting form an helicopter?

[EDIT] and you'll also see the revolving back in action…[/EDIT]
Hi Nicolas,

It is as impressive as it can get. I have just watched the video together with Hanny. She asked me to tell you this: Normally, she hates helping me with carrying my photo stuff or extra bags when we are travelling, but in your case, she'd be more than glad to make an exception if you'd take her along (LOL).

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Hi Nicolas,

It is as impressive as it can get. I have just watched the video together with Hanny. She asked me to tell you this: Normally, she hates helping me with carrying my photo stuff or extra bags when we are travelling, but in your case, she'd be more than glad to make an exception if you'd take her along (LOL).

Cheers,

LOL
I'd love the idea, but I don't want to be in trouble with you my friend! (nor with my wife ;-)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I just returned form looking at all the helicopter videos. This is a bit scary sometimes when I hear your voice, "We're too close!"

I am so impressed at seeing the stately yacht with it white sails like a surrealistic seabird on the water that you descend down to show us real people enjoying sunbathing and chatting. Then you show the interior of the boat. The initial establishing shot of the harbor smoothly transitions over the cabin coming closer, swing gently through the window and then Romain (your talented videographer and musician son) cuts to the interior scene as you photograph the interior. That filmng is smooth and so artistically done. Kudos to both of you.

The wide interior view of the cabin is impressive. How do you stitch? Do you use just CS3 which is powerful in itself or the AutpPano Pro with Frencg Instructions, no doubt!!

Asher

nicolas claris

LoL Asher
"we're to close" looking from a MF 80 mm isn't that close in real! (if you want to shoot the entire yacht).

Autopano!

Nice making-of, Nicolas!

Not so easy as one could think, to shoot from a helicopter. And impressive, when one sits inside.

BRAVO!

Kind regards,
Thierry

nicolas claris

Thanks Thierry

do you think I could find focusing screen more accurate to use with the Schneider Super-Angulon PQ 3.5/40 mm ? at Sinar or Rollei?

Last edited:
If the focusing screen is inaccurate, then the camera or back might need adjustment or the screen may need to be shimmed.

If the focusing screen is accurate but hard to read, then there might be a reason to look into a different focusing screen. For instance some people prefer a plain screen, and some people like focusing aids like split-image prisms or a microprism spot.

Another issue is that focusing screens can be optimized for different focal length ranges by changing the focal length of the fresnel lens in the screen, so a standard screen may satisfactory for wide lenses like a 40mm, but not necessarily optimal. If you bias the screen for wide lenses, though, the screen won't be as bright for long lenses. If the camera has interchangeable focusing screens (like my old Canon New F-1), this isn't a problem, but if the focusing screen is more or less fixed, then you want to make a decision about what lenses you plan to use before changing the focusing screen.

I don't know how adaptable this camera is, but if you wanted to inquire about a custom solution, the person to talk to would be Bill Maxwell in the US at (404) 244-0095, e-mail-- maxwellprecisionoptics@toast.net . Maxwell does offer screen upgrades for the Rollei 6000 cameras, so if anyone could do it, he'd be the man.

nicolas claris

Hi David

Thanks a lot for the infos.

I still have some vocabulary (not to say grammar too…) in English…

So my concern would be solved with a split-image prisms or a microprism spot.
The camera does well precise focusing and I get no problem with the Schneider AFD-Xenotar PQS 2.8/80 mm lens using AF.

The 40 does focus very well too, even in manual, the problem is that with the vibration and the time needed to adjust with the actual screen, I can't get precise…

Being in France, I'll try to find a screen here instead of having it crossing the Atlantic for me! Thanks anyway, your advices are highly appreciated :)

Eric Hiss

David,
Funny to be reading your post here because I just called Bill Maxwell regarding optimizing focusing screens for wide or tele lenses. Long and short is there is no difference for retrofocusing lenses such as those in the MF SLR's. He suggests using a split prism or other focusing aid. I have his HiLux treated screen in my 6008AF - not sure it was hugely brighter than the stock 6008 AF screen but was flatter which made it more accurate center to edge. I've had a look at the Hy6 screen and can't see a reason to buy something else - they are terrific. That said I don't have he Hy6 so did order a second screen with the split prism and collar focusing aids to see if that helps.

Eric

If the focusing screen is inaccurate, then the camera or back might need adjustment or the screen may need to be shimmed.

If the focusing screen is accurate but hard to read, then there might be a reason to look into a different focusing screen. For instance some people prefer a plain screen, and some people like focusing aids like split-image prisms or a microprism spot.

Another issue is that focusing screens can be optimized for different focal length ranges by changing the focal length of the fresnel lens in the screen, so a standard screen may satisfactory for wide lenses like a 40mm, but not necessarily optimal. If you bias the screen for wide lenses, though, the screen won't be as bright for long lenses. If the camera has interchangeable focusing screens (like my old Canon New F-1), this isn't a problem, but if the focusing screen is more or less fixed, then you want to make a decision about what lenses you plan to use before changing the focusing screen.

I don't know how adaptable this camera is, but if you wanted to inquire about a custom solution, the person to talk to would be Bill Maxwell in the US at (404) 244-0095, e-mail-- maxwellprecisionoptics@toast.net . Maxwell does offer screen upgrades for the Rollei 6000 cameras, so if anyone could do it, he'd be the man.

Theodore Diehl

Fantastic Nicholas!

Thanks for sharing/showing this.
You make it look so easy!
It also must have been tricky with the video work going on in between everything else, so you have to keep really concentrated on what you are doing. THat is something I always find tricky to do.
Keep 'em coming!
Ciao,
Theodoere

nicolas claris

It also must have been tricky with the video work going on in between everything else, so you have to keep really concentrated on what you are doing.

I can keep concentrated as, before the shoot starts, we discuss Romain and I of what we'll do and how (i.e. do not forget to show the rotating back being used).

Then the video is his affair, not mine, I do completely trust him therefore I can concentrate on MY job…

Tim Armes

Hi Nicolas,

I looked a a couple of your videos - very interesting. It's really weird to actually see you, you're nothing like I imagined!

Anyhow, some constructive critisme: it would really help to keep the viewers attention if you add in the final shots, as the video progresses, of the things that you're photographing. It helps keeps the video dynamic. Here's a great example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kkd7fWQeSg

Regards

Tim,

nicolas claris

Hi Nicolas,

I looked a a couple of your videos - very interesting. It's really weird to actually see you, you're nothing like I imagined!

Anyhow, some constructive critisme: it would really help to keep the viewers attention if you add in the final shots, as the video progresses, of the things that you're photographing. It helps keeps the video dynamic.

LoL I know I'm not a nice looking blonde ;-) sorry!

For the making of, your suggestion is exactly what we've decided to do when we'll make the long Making of for Sinar at Photokina… :) (It is already done like this in the online videos of the "Shipman 80" interior and the "leather" as well…)