• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pictures of the Rollei 6008AF and Sinar eMotion54

Graham Mitchell

This is how the setup looks, for those who are interested:

img_5933am.jpg

img_5904am.jpg

img_5923am.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Graham,

This gets juices flowing already. The Rollei 6008 is a very well designed camera with abundant fine lenses, a lot of them available used of course. This is the same mount as for the Hy6 body in the Sinar and Leaf 2008 cameras.

How long have you had the body and were you using it for film? We'd love to hear how your choice was made and the experience using this system.

Asher

Graham Mitchell

How long have you had the body and were you using it for film? We'd love to hear how your choice was made and the experience using this system.

I never used this body for film. Once I decided to switch to medium format digital, I opted for this system based on the lenses first - the leaf shutter is fast but the apertures are also among the fastest in medium format. The optics have a fantastic reputation. I wanted the large waist-level finder, and the auto exposure and auto focus modes were icing on the cake.

Asher Kelman

Let me add that we're looking forward to much more of this system! I'm just hoping that the prices don't then rise beyond my reach!

Asher

Jim Galli

This is an exciting machine. Even though I'm analog to the core I get excited about peeking into the future. Too bad Unc Sam is so broke or I'd think of a reason I need this technology at work.

Asher Kelman

Graham,

What if anything is missing from this setup compared to the Hy6? Also what lenses do you have so far? I'm starting top think that this system is very mature and seems more valuable with the Hy6 being likely not made, at least for a while!

Asher

Graham Mitchell

Graham,

What if anything is missing from this setup compared to the Hy6? Also what lenses do you have so far? I'm starting to think that this system is very mature and seems more valuable with the Hy6 being likely not made, at least for a while!

Hi Asher,

Compared to the Hy6, this setup requires a sync cable, which is not ideal. There is also no communication between the back and camera, so the ISO setting of the back does not directly affect the metering in the camera. You must adjust the ISO twice, if using a metered mode. There is also no EXIF data saved from the camera. It is also not as small and light as the Hy6. There are a few other features missing too, such as the colour temperature sensor, focus bracketing, focus trap, etc. There is no rotating adapter for the 6008 either - the back must be detached and re-attached. Plus the Hy6 uses better battery technology, although I have upgraded my 6008 batteries so that no longer applies to me. There are pluses to the 6008 too - there are more accessories available, and they are cheap on the used market.

But at the end of the day, the images taken with the same settings will look the same on both cameras.

By the way, the Hy6 is still in production while F&H sorts out it's debt issues, and if F&H should close down, Jenoptik can contract any other workshop to continue production.

Asher Kelman

To me then, Graham,

the big difference is going to be weight, since ISO is not going to be changed much during a shoot and the rotating back. I wonder what the cost difference is? Are the available H6 bodies going up in price? I'd imagine that both Sinar and Leaf must be scrambling for their share!

Asher

Graham Mitchell

To me then, Graham,

the big difference is going to be weight, since ISO is not going to be changed much during a shoot and the rotating back. I wonder what the cost difference is? Are the available H6 bodies going up in price? I'd imagine that both Sinar and Leaf must be scrambling for their share!

Asher

I imagine that the Hy6s are not going up in price. The cost difference is not much between the new versions, but the 6008 bodies are easy to find on the used market and that makes them much cheaper - something to consider if you plan on buying a backup body!