• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Scanning Your Prints/Film/slides Share your workflow and sample images..

Cem_Usakligil

This one was taken in a small town in the Northern area of Turkey. The whole shop was as big as shown in the picture. He sat there all day long mending shoes.

Shoemaker (scanned from a Fuji Provia slide):
shoemaker.jpg

How are you scanning your film? Also what software do you use?
Hi Asher,

Just a quick answer, but I think we should start a separate topic on scanning elsewhere ;-).

I scan slides using a dedicated film scanner, the good old Canon FS4000US. It scans at 4000 dpi native resolution. I can usually see grain in scanned film, so it has more than enough resolution. Results are 6000x4000 pixel files (24 MP!). A full scan takes 2-3 minutes, longer if I do multiple exposure and IR dust/scratch correction.

I use my favourite software, the VueScan, which can be configured in various ways.

I have created LightRoom "profiles" using IT8 targets. I scan the slides as RAW (DNG) files and also output to jpg for instant use if needed. I then import the DNGs into LR and apply the previously created profile (one for each film type) to colour correct. It works very well.

Grain/noise and dust/scratches are the main productivity killers. It can take a lot of PP time to correct them. Also, a proper sharpening of end result is not always achievable due to grain/noise. You end up amplifying it instead.

Shall you create a new thread or shall I do that?

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So, Cem,

Were Vuescan's presets for Provia not good enough?

Also what was the workflow for getting Lightroom profiles with the IT8 Target?

Thanks,

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

So, Cem,

Were Vuescan's presets for Provia not good enough?

Also what was the workflow for getting Lightroom profiles with the IT8 Target?

Thanks,

Asher
Hi Asher,

Thanks for creating this new thread. I'll provide detailed answers to many scanning questions, all in good time. Right now, I've got tons of work to do (i.e. the paying kind ;-))

PS: VueScan does not have Provia presets, just a generic one for slides and a couple of others for some Kodak films. It all works fine but in order to get better results, one must create own profiles (as usual).

Even though the software that came with my Minolta scanner is excellent, I have decided to go the Vuescan route for its DNG RAW capability. With this, I can scan to raw and then develop in Lightroom.

Evaluating software, I realized I could merge the slide images very early in my workflow.

I have not begun the process of actually scanning the slides but I've done a few test runs and that went okay.

Now my slides will be special on their pictorial merit and not just because they are slides ;)