• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

42 Years and Going Strong

Robert Watcher

Not a day when I have doubted my love for this girl. We got to enjoy our 42’nd Wedding Anniversary, while visiting the stunningly rugged and beautiful Mayan towns surrounding Lake Atitlan in Guatemala, this past week - officially the day was yesterday May 8, 1976. A half hour speedboat ride across the lake, got us to the artisan town of San Juan la Laguna, where we had breakfast and I took this shot showing some of the beauty I was enjoying in the foreground as well as the background.

I am so fortunate to have Anne enjoying these adventures as my partner during the last 10 years we have been travelling and living in Central American countries. We were both devistated when Anne experienced a crippling attack on her body when she was in her mid 30’s.

Within a couple of years her joints were fusing and back and neck bending and twisting with an aggressive case of ankylosing spondylitis. Where it normally would affect the spine mostly, Anne lost motion in her hips, pelvis, shoulder, neck and back. Within a short period of time the expansion of her rib cage had restricted to less than 1/2 inch, from a normal 2 inches that most of us have. She has had spells in the past where her eyes have been inflamed, lungs and heart restricted. The doctors prognosis was that she would probably be in a wheelchair by her mid 40’s. And we had all this adventure planned for our life once the kids left home.

Anne decided to make the best of it, and refuses to give in to the restrictions and severe pain that she has at times. Her yearly monitoring by her doctor, shows slow advancement compared to the early years of the disease setting in. The doc’s conclusion to Anne for the past few years, is keep doing what you are doing. It must be your attitude and disposition that is keeping you mobile. Of course I am her right hand man, watching for oncoming cars that she can’t turn her head to see, and putting her socks on because she can’t reach her feet, I have to stop with her while walking as she catches her breath - especially at the high altitudes we live in. And so we have a pile of fun as long as we are able to do it. Explore, document, climb volcanos, walk endless miles in hilly towns and cities and rough roads each day.

Anyway this is the love of my life, my motivation, and my inspiration - as we head on to 43 years of loving and supporting each other.

BBEC4F86-0E64-4A33-A6F7-5BB0D92F5C08.jpg

———

Doug Kerr

Hi, Robert,

What a wonderful story.

You both are very lucky (notwithstanding the medical challenges and such).

You guys keep on keepin' on.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank God for his invention of the diaphragm. That is what allows her to still breathe as well as she does and keep up in the miraculous walks with you at those testy elevations!

When we see a happy couple together, we never know what struggles they have overcome. But today, 42 years is getting up there and so wonderful!

There is a song about Paradise: Take Paradise, put up a parking lot. You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gobe!

Folk take for granted being able to breathe easily or to turn one’s head to a sound!

I appreciate everything as I know how fragile are the threads of the fabric of life we depend on!

Wish Anne well from us all and congrats to you both.

We will be 50 years married this December, God willing!

We still have a lot of blessings to be thankful for, especially to still have our love and partner to treasure!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Thank God for his invention of the diaphragm. That is what allows her to still breathe as well as she does and keep up in the miraculous walks with you at those testy elevations!

When we see a happy couple together, we never know what struggles they have overcome. But today, 42 years is getting up there and so wonderful!

There is a song about Paradise: Take Paradise, put up a parking lot. You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gobe!

Folk take for granted being able to breathe easily or to turn one’s head to a sound!

I appreciate everything as I know how fragile are the threads of the fabric of life we depend on!

Wish Anne well from us all and congrats to you both.

We will be 50 years married this December, God willing!

We still have a lot of blessings to be thankful for, especially to still have our love and partner to treasure!

Asher

So nice to hear. Thank you Asher

Peter Dexter

As already mentioned it is a wonderful story indeed. I am guessing you have important medical stuff done in the states. I am fortunate in that the larger cities of Colombia have excellent health care facilities. I wonder about Guatemala and by the way there is a humorous phrase here that translate "from bad to worse" as "de Guatemala a guatapeor".

Robert Watcher

As already mentioned it is a wonderful story indeed. I am guessing you have important medical stuff done in the states. I am fortunate in that the larger cities of Colombia have excellent health care facilities. I wonder about Guatemala and by the way there is a humorous phrase here that translate "from bad to worse" as "de Guatemala a guatapeor".

My wife and I are from Canada. Fortunately we do not seem to be prone to sickness and I have never had to visit a hospital except for when I broke my leg when I was 4 years old. Anne is equally as heathy as one can be - except for this annoying disease that has no cure and can only be worked around. She does visit her doctor in the clinic when we return home for a couple of months each year. Our health care in Ontario covers those visits.

That being said, we have foreign friends who have used the hospital systems in Guatemala, Nicaragua and Costa Rica, and had nothing but top care and highly qualified physicians, surgeons and the best of equipment used to treat them. That includes one who had successful back surgery in Costa Rica that required a long waiting list in Alberta. Our Swedish friend tore her ACL playing soccer in Nicaragua and decided to have her surgery in Managua with excellent results. An American friend is currently using a wonderful hospital here in Xela, Guatemala for treating and monitoring recurrent cancers over the past couple of years.

While I hope I don’t have the need for one any time soon, it is nice to know that we have a top notch hospital half a block from our apartment. I would have no problem being treated there if needed. We have a few beautiful private hospitals around the city of Xela, and the costs of even complicated surgeries and drugs would be something we could handle from what we are told. Our Ontario Health Care would compensate much of that based on their foreign country compensation rates.

Anne and I have never used medical drugs, but if we have to at any point - we will be buying them here. A friend of ours went home to the U.S. and found out the parasite drugs that she buys for a few cents a piece in Bluefields, Nicaragua were going to cost $200 each there. The exact same brand name drugs.

———

Peter Dexter

Oh ok Canada, very good. I'm glad to you hear you have medical facilities nearby that you are confident about. That is important. Good to know such top notch medical treatment is available in throughout Central America.

Hi Robert.

Congratulations on 43 years of being happy with the person you are with. As for her sickness, I did not know that Anne had this disease, as it is quite rare, but I actually know a guy that has this. I used to sing classical music with him. Life has not been easy for him as he had to quit his job at least 10 years ago. He had built a beautiful house by the lake but had to sell it because he couldn't afford it anymore. I have seen him go to the hospital because a strong sneeze broke some of his ribs. He does the best that he can, always has a happy face and good humor for others. I know he now does yoga and meditation etc., which helps him keep limber.

I wish you all the best and especially to Anne. I know this cannot be easy.

much love, Maggie