• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

InCamera & C1

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Hi,

Trying to build a custom colour profile for use in a repro setup. Using a Leaf Aptus II-8 on a DF camera and shooting into C1.

I have the X-Rite SG Digital chart and have accurate lighting set up (under advice by Stefan Steib of Hartblei).

I bought Pictocolor InCamera.

I am outputting the RAW file as a 16bit TIFF with the 'camera profile' embedded and when opening in PS am discarding the built in profile. Only then do I run InCamera.

The problem is that the profile is badly badly out. Making everything an overcontrasty fluorescent green.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Can't blame them for the fact that my flashes have a different spectral response than the ones they use for their default profiles. As even changing a bulb in flash changes the colour response and needs a new profile I can't blame Leaf.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ben,

O.K., then you may need a color meter. Measure the flash and add decamired filters to get the temperature you need. also likely a UV filter. The flash can be filtered with a sheet of UV absorbing gel and that's easy. Borrow a color meter and it will live you a readout as to how to correct the color exactly with two filters.

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Not even close. Sorry Asher, custom profiles are not a matter of gelling a flash, it's providing accurate results from a combination of flashes, modifiers, the camera's spectral response, the lens colour, etc. The generic profiles shipped with cameras are just about a starting point.

I am outputting the RAW file as a 16bit TIFF with the 'camera profile' embedded and when opening in PS am discarding the built in profile.

Hi Ben,

This is the only point where things can go wrong in the otherwise simple workflow. How are you discarding the profile? Can you describe step by step what you see when you open the file?

Cheers,
Bart

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
When I open the file in PS it gives me a dialog with three options one of which is 'Discard the embedded profile' which is the one I select.

Yair Shahar of Leaf thinks that InCamera is making an output profile not an input profile and that is the problem.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Not even close. Sorry Asher, custom profiles are not a matter of gelling a flash, it's providing accurate results from a combination of flashes, modifiers, the camera's spectral response, the lens colour, etc. The generic profiles shipped with cameras are just about a starting point.

Well Ben,

You can in fact correct the color distribution of your lights very well using filtration. I know because Cibachrome depends on that to get perfect images. Obviously one cannot use Photoshop or InCamera for film! You can correct almost any flash to give the right distribution.

1. Determine the spectral shape needed for you sensor from Leaf
  2. Gel the flash to filter out UV
  3. Measure the light with a decamired capable meter which will tell you exactly the filters needed.
  4. Add those filters to the front of your lens
  5. Use your Target to take the pictures
  6. Create the corrective profile with the software of your choice.

If the lights are awful to start with, don't expect to be able to correct well with software as there may not be enough of a particular color for your subject to be illuminated well.

BTW, what lights are you using and does the camera work well in daylight? Each make of flash handles color temp differently and it can change markedly with the power setting of the flash generator.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Could we please have a look at:
-the picture of the chart using the camera profile under daylight

-the picture of the chart using the camera profile under your flashes

-the corrected chart picture using Pictocolor under your flashes (all tiny pictures, we don't need the full resolution, we just want to see how the colors look like).

Please also try what happens when using jpeg instead of tiff. Tiff specification is somewhat unclear when using profiles and not all manufacturers understand it the same way.