• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What's your monitor and how do you profile it? Do you have a Wide Gamut Display?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The ink in today's printers have colors more saturated than our old LCD or CRT monitors could generally display. So when we profiled them, we had the software perceptually make them appear to show colors that it simply cannot reproduce. However, this is obviously not the best way!

Being able to see all the colors one can print is a great advantage. I'm interested n learning from your experience with wide gamut monitors.

1. So who has jumped to a Wide Gamut monitor and what did you choose?

2. How has it improved your viewing and printing experience for imaging workflow?

3. Do you reserve a second monitor to view the web so that one is not looking at mud when trying to view sRGB mages on a wide gamut monitor.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
My main display is an Apple Cinema 30". It's been wonderful.

I periodically recalibrate it with my Gretag MacBeth (now X-Rite?) EyeOne gizmo.

Asher Kelman

My main display is an Apple Cinema 30". It's been wonderful.

I periodically recalibrate it with my Gretag MacBeth (now X-Rite?) EyeOne gizmo.

Thanks for that. I have the same gizmo, but the first version as my Eizo CG220 is of 2006 vintage and the Eye One Pro is now replaced by version II but I don't know the difference matters.

Theoretically, one should be able to refine one's printing actually seeing all the colors in the file. I wonder who can say that the Adobe RGB monitors do give us better prints as the end product?

Asher

Asher Kelman

What's your wide gamut display monitor and what would you buy if your current monitor just died on you?

I'm considering a new monitor. Mine is a 8 year old 21" Eizo, accurate but hardly at the edge today!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Funny you asked, because I just changed mine and bought a new one!
For as long as five years I use a Nec Spectraview 3090 and had been glad with it, never had any bad surprise when printing (inkjets, offset etc…).
I had to get a new one as I couldn't perform a reliable calibration with the new Macpro (needs a USB connection)…
So I gladly ordered to BasiCcolor in Germany (I met them at Photokina with Sinar years ago) a… Nec Spectraview 301 a pretty good evolution if you ask me! it shows 108% Adobe RGB (if I remember well). Very stable… I love it!

Reference301-DisplayViewLeftBlack-Hoodmain.jpg

The difference between Spectraview and Multisync (besides of the price!) is that the Spectraview have been checked unit by unit at the end of the production line; no surprise and they are under warranty for 5 years… : D
I followed the advice from BasiCcolor to get a 301 instead of a 302 as they said there were not enough tech differences for my use (although there is a difference of price).
However I know that this monitor is not in production anymore, but you may find some in stock at some dealers…
For those in Europe, I do recommend this company! http://www.basiccolor.de
But note that I don't have any connection with them, I'm just a happy customer ; )

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

This good to know. The gamut is about 106.6 %. I'll read the reviews. What about Eizo? Are they just more expensive!

Asher

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

This good to know. The gamut is about 106.6 %. I'll read the reviews. What about Eizo? Are they just more expensive!

Asher

I have no advice about the Eizo…
I had no reason to change of brand as I had a very good experience with it and the sales team…

Asher Kelman

I have no advice about the Eizo…
I had no reason to change of brand as I had a very good experience with it and the sales team…

Thanks,

What are you using to calibrate it and set the brightness accurately. I'm told that the latest monitors that can be seen from any angle and that have LED behind the LCD display layer, don't work with previous calibration systems. I have Gretag MacBeths original spectrophotometer, i1 Display!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

I presume you get the software AND the spectrophotometer puck device with the monitor? That's a bargain!

I will try to find a new, but old stock, new NEC like yours and save the money for Pentax lenses, LOL!

Asher

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

I presume you get the software AND the spectrophotometer puck device with the monitor? That's a bargain!

I will try to find a new, but old stock, new NEC like yours and save the money for Pentax lenses, LOL!

Asher
I1 Display 2 puck (had already) and SpectraView Profiler 5 sw (delivered alone with the monitor)