• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Best picture of all times...

I was wondering, what is the very best picture, regardless the category, regardless the gear, simply your personal ultimate Number One picture you have ever seen in your life?

So come on in and share your's as well!

In my case it is a picture shot from "Big Bear" <grins>, Ursa Major Constellation from 1996.

This was made from 342 exposures, whereby each exposure was between 15 and 40 minutes for 10 consecutive days. Separate pics were shot in ultraviolet, blue, red, and infrared light, then combined into a single color pic.

The picture is best to be understood as a "time maschine" allowing us to look back in time. What looks like an artist work for Startrek, in fact is a very narrow spot in the sky, a keyhole, consisting of ~1,500 Galaxies.

To make this more understandable, in other words, if you hold up a dime into the sky above you, and place it roughly 75 feet away from your point of view, this is the tiny spot of the total sky that this picture covers.

This is the deepest view into the Universe mankind ever made!

Because light travels 299,792.458 m/s, the word "deep" in this context means observing the faintest objects in the sky. This picture reflects the state of the Universe around one billion years after Big Bang.

You have to take into consideration that the total distance here is 2000 parsecs (6.500 light years), now because the speed of light, this immensity means that some of the galaxies in this picture do not exist any longer, because it took so long for the light to reach the Hubble Lense.

I remember well when that picture was released. I seriously thought this picture might have the power to change the world for good, well that is the idealist, the altruist in me I suppose, but I sincerely thought this would make a lasting impact on people all over the globe, of course I was wrong and the story and pictures of Anna Nicole Smith have a deeper Impact and lasting effect on people's life than this, obviously. <cynical grin>

Courtesy of: R. Williams (STScI), the Hubble Deep Field Team and NASA

HDFWF3.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
sorry, George,

I thought that everbody knows it.
It's the world first photography, by Niecephore Niépce; when looking at it, it's just like a mirror....

Thanks, no I did not know this. I fail to see the mirror effect. In what way mirror?

To me it looks like standing on the top of a castle wall or similiar building, although the middle part is irritating, can't really tell what that is.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Thanks, no I did not know this. I fail to see the mirror effect. In what way mirror?

To me it looks like standing on the top of a castle wall or similiar building, although the middle part is irritating, can't really tell what that is.

here we go.

There's a interesting story behind it, as it has been lost/forgotten for many years, and when refound - on a garret - they initally thought it was a mirror.

Or have a look at the Niepce's site: http://www.niepce.com/pagus/pagus-inv.html

Hi Nicolai,
a few words of explanation may be? <smile>
Georg,

it's a picture of a so called "Newspaper Rock", historical artefact in Utah.

I was trying to say that bringing way outdated material as the best photo of all times is may be not the best idea, akin to naming Kitty Hawk the best plane ever built <bigger smile>

Cheers!

Hi Nicolai,

I get your point, and of course it is a very subjective matter, I was asking this just for fun to see what pictures people preference as their personal favourite.

I prefer the F-117a as well. <grins>

Hi Nicolai,

I get your point, and of course it is a very subjective matter, I was asking this just for fun to see what pictures people preference as their personal favourite.

I prefer the F-117a as well. <grins>

Georg,
it's almost impossible to tell (for me that is) what is my favorite picture, just like it is impossible to tell what is my favorite dish, song, book, etc. I kinda love many...