• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More help with my new 5D please!!

janet Smith

pro member
Hello everyone

Sorry..... I've managed to sort out my software problem, thanks again to those who helped. I've taken first few grab shots, had a look at them, all looks fine, but I have a file size problem (I told you I'm not much good with computers!!). I am using photoshop, the raw images are coming up as 10.9 Mb - 11.44Mb. When I open them as a TIFF they are 36MB approx.

I used to make 50Mb files from EOS10 what size files will I be able to create from the 5D I'm guessing about 75Mb because of 50% increase in file size, if I'm right, how do I do it??? Help please.....

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jan,

Don't worry, nothing is wrong. Here is the math to explain things:

An image taken with the 5D has around 12 M pixels. Each image pixel of the resulting TIFF file is made up of 3 sub pixels (Red, Green and Blue colours). Usually, these pixels have a colour depth of 8-bits, meaning that each sub pixel is equal to 1 byte of data (8 bits = 1 Byte). So if you multiply: 12,000,000 x 3 x 1 byte = 36 M Byte. If you decide to work with a colour depth of 16-bits (which I recommend in case you are going to post process the images extensively in a program such as PhotoShop), then each sub pixel occupies 2 Bytes, hence you'll get a file size of around 72 MB, which is what you've expected to start with. So the moral of the story is, the program that does the conversion from RAW to TIFF (e.g. DPP or ACR) should be set to create 16-bit TIFF images rather than 8-bit ones. Possibly in your case, this setting has been reset to 8-bits as a default after reinstalling the DPP.

HTH!

Cheers,

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Cem

You're definately a genius!! Thank you once again for your help, armed with this information I'll see what I can do, this is all a big learning curve for me and I really appreciate your help.....

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem

You're definately a genius!! Thank you once again for your help, armed with this information I'll see what I can do, this is all a big learning curve for me and I really appreciate your help.....
Not a genius, just experienced ;-). If you cannot resolve the issue for whatever the reason, please feel free to ask as much questions as you'd like. As the well-known saying goes: there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Cheers,