• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: I met the actress, Zoe Saldaña! I discovered a new film of James Cameron.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Last night, at the Gala celebration of Los Angeles' MOCA NEW fundraising Gala, I met Zoe Saldaña. Actually I'd already taken her picture and she introduced herself and in response to the usual question of "Have you made any films?" was impressed to hear that it was a James Cameron film coming out shortly called Avatar.

John Cameron Movie: Avatar

So this morning I was pleasantly surprised to see a write up on the movie and a trailer in English but also in many more languages.here too, immediately on release! For example, in German here.

This is an important film.

• Technically the most and advanced brilliantly rendered real time fusion of synthetic word and animation in real time as actors play the parts.

• Has, for the first time, fine and realistic emotions expressed in every frame of the movie.

• Like the Cameron movie The Abyss, this film explores human ideas of civilization and conquest with imagined creatures, equally or even more intelligent, advanced and worthy of our respect. This, rather than an anti-war movie tightly bound to present controversial wars, takes a more nuanced approach using a make-belief plant far away in the cosmos. In doing so, the director makes a movie that might, perhaps, outlast many other contemporary movies tied to the specific spoils a conquest might be really about. In fact, this movie is in the tradition of a Christian morality play (but without any reference to or need of Christianity or any other religion, it seems. It just asks, "What are our motivations and real values to justify are feelings of self worth as human beings in a diverse and threatened world, our own planet, "Earth"!

Asher

Last edited:

Rachel Foster

Cool! I'm basking in meeting celebrity once removed...LOL!

My only claim to meeting a celeb was Robert Ito some 30 years ago. Oh, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar once.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's more on the movie and the beautiful actress I met, Zoe, taken from Wikipedia here.

Premise

Avatar is a futuristic science fiction film that describes how humans employ Avatars to evacuate peaceful aliens from their mineral-rich forests.
Plot

The story’s protagonist, Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), is a former U.S. Marine who was wounded and paralyzed from the waist down in combat on Earth. Jake is selected to participate in the Avatar program, which will enable him to walk. Jake travels to Pandora, a lush jungle-covered extraterrestrial moon filled with incredible life forms, some beautiful, many terrifying. Pandora is also home to the Na’vi, a sentient humanoid race, who are considered primitive, yet are more physically capable than humans. Standing three meters tall (approximately 10 feet), with tails and sparkling blue skin, the Na’vi live in harmony with their unspoiled world. As humans encroach deeper into Pandora's forests in search of valuable minerals, the Na’vi unleash their formidable warrior abilities to defend their threatened existence.
Jake has unwittingly been recruited to become part of this encroachment. Since humans are unable to breathe the air on Pandora, they have created genetically-bred human-Na’vi hybrids known as Avatars. On Pandora, through his Avatar body, Jake will be able to walk again. Sent deep into Pandora's jungles as a scout for the soldiers that will follow, Jake encounters many of Pandora's beauties and dangers. There he meets a young Na’vi female, Neytiri (Zoe Saldaña).

Over time, Jake integrates himself into the Na'vi clan, and begins to fall in love with Neytiri. As a result, Jake finds himself caught between the military-industrial forces of Earth and the Na’vi, forcing him to choose sides in an epic battle that will decide the fate of the Na'vi.

Asher