• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Studio PinUp

Will Thompson

For your enjoyment!

Will_Thompson_C_2009_012K5816.jpg

More to come!

Last edited by a moderator:

ErikJonas

Banned

Rule of thumb when shooting a model image is no make-up is better then bad make-up....Any model i shoot i tell them no make-up...Looking at that it was obvious she did her own but,had to ask...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rule of thumb when shooting a model image is no make-up is better then bad make-up....Any model i shoot i tell them no make-up...Looking at that it was obvious she did her own but,had to ask...

Erik,

It all depends on what the end use is. Will is shooting for the wishes of the models. He uses working class concepts for working class folk with no conceits or pretenses, just they are having fun. In that, Will does a great job and they should pay him for giving them psychotherapy. The boost the ladies get by having the pictures for their own album/portfolio is immeasurable. I am sure they feel very thrilled to see these pictures. now these would not work for me, but if I was doing a shoot for reproduction of Norman Rockwell characters, i'd go to Will Thompson for advice and all the needed costumes!

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned

If the make-up is bad its NOT portfolio worthy, no matter how you want to sugar coat it...It its just for personal use then it does not matter....Myself when i shoot a image,its my name going on it i make it look very good other wise i dont want it out there it reflects directly on me....

With this image...The bra does not fit right, note how its cutting into the model under her one arm and causing the buldge of skin....And the underware with that bra looks aweful...Then the make-up which myself i would of just told the model the make-ups coming off i'd of never shot the image with these issues...

Asher, Now you know why I do not wast my time posting.

Hi Will,

Surely it should take more than one person's opinion to keep you from posting. The only thing I would have tried differently is using a lighter background to reduce the simultaneous contrast which causes the suggestion of too pale skin. From my limited knowledge of pin-up photos, I would have expected some more props as well, but then I don't know her fantacy.

Cheers,
Bart

ErikJonas

Banned

Will if you cant take anyone being critical of a image you wont get far at all.Seriuosly...I'm not trying to be mean and I dont know you from Adam i have no bad will towards you....Had i know you only want to hear people praise your work i'd of not said anything and just let you go on with a image with very noticable issues...

And Asher you think the make-ups not bad...HONESTLY...You think the 3 things i pointed out are just fine?...HONESTLY....Then what just turn a blind eye to them and say oh what a great image?

My early stuff everyone was like oh thats so good what great pictures...I proudly took my work to Chuck Guildner and he went though my portfolio and just shredded it....This is out of fucus,what are you looking at here,this should of been cropped on and on every page...At the end i asked if there was anything good any hope...He sighed and said "you have potential"

It took me 3 times taking my work to Chuck before he finally said "I like this image" and followed it by saying "your learning to read your light".......Had he not been HONEST about my work it would not of improved,I'd of not worked so hard at it.....

Asher Kelman

Satirical, as Pinup: "Pin Up"

And Asher you think the make-ups not bad...HONESTLY...You think the 3 things i pointed out are just fine?...HONESTLY....Then what just turn a blind eye to them and say oh what a great image?
Hi Erik,

Yes indeed! The make up bra and much more are not what one would expect for a pinup picture. You have exposed my tolerance and openness to this less than expected production.

Of course, it would have been easier if the picture has been introduced differently, but I can't come up, as yet with the right intro.

Will does not really shoot PinUp pictures, they are "Pin Up"! They are more like shooting "as" a Pinup picture for fun. If the girl was serious and had the money, then costume, make up and hair would be professional to the nth.

I have the benefit of knowing what Will is about. Unlike Stephen Eastwood or Benjamin Kanarek, Will Thompson does not shoot for an end-use client that will use his pictures for any magazine or marketing campaign. He does what he does in a non-professional framework to make the folk happy, lighting them very nicely in urban locations.

He's a different photographer*, having more knowledge and lighting capability than most. He has fun mimicking styles, in a way poking his tongue out while you are trying to compose his picture. Still, he delivers his work and folk are entertained and pleased.

Yes, Will is super-sensitive about negative critique and that's a real issue, but we all have our quirks. Since I think know Will's intent and frame of reference, I do not find the make up and Bra an insurmountable problem with his work. I ask him privately "What's going on?" His answer, "Budget!" But why am I so soft on him? What's about his makeup and tight fitting bra and so forth? In a way, that makes the picture satirical. After all, what are women doing, preening themselves in a ritualistic way, making themselves look like something they are not?

This should have been titled, "Pin Up" not Pinup!

Asher

*If you wanted a mobile battery powered 8x10 Polaroid processing system with endless 8x10 Polaroid film, ask Will Thompson. If you need to rebuild a lighting system, likely Will can do it for you. Need a 4x5 camera, has it with all the pieces and a bargain price, but you'd have to ask!

Asher Kelman

The discussion on "Why post if one does not want negative comments?" and also "Why post at all?" is moved to here. This allows us to just enjoy the picture separate from how we approach these issues.

Asher

Asher Kelman

For your enjoyment!

Will_Thompson_C_2009_012K5816.jpg

More to come!

Will,

This to me is a satire on all the folk who prepare and use pinups. The whole idea of pinups on the wall at work has been eroded seriously, at least in the USA, because of political correctness and fears that some might see this as demeaning to women or disrespectful to the guys partner/spouse.

Olive-oyl-lilsweetpea1936.jpg

Still frame from the animated cartoon Little Swee' Pea (1936), fallen in the public domain.​

I like the shape of the woman as she reminds me Popeye's girlfriend in spinach cartoons where Popeye got an instant boost of strength and massive muscles by gulping down a whole can of spinach when under attack or faced with an impossible load to lift.

Mike Nogle

When looking at this photo it is obvious to me that Will was not trying to take a serious fashion photo. I think Asher made a good point at mentioning how the photo's goal is more "satirical." I think it is purposely campy, and that makes it a fun photo that works.

Asher Kelman

When looking at this photo it is obvious to me that Will was not trying to take a serious fashion photo. I think Asher made a good point at mentioning how the photo's goal is more "satirical." I think it is purposely campy, and that makes it a fun photo that works.
Thanks Mike!

Will is a very down to earth person. He knows perfectly well every extra fold he caused with the tight bra, but wouldn't dream of altering it in photoshop as that's how he likes it. He makes no claim to being satirical, he's not that high brow but that's what I believe he's doing. Unlike most of us, he does it not according to the expected but as he feels it works.

Even for those who want to do perfect pinup work, seeing what not to do here is also a learning point.

Asher

Nigel Allan

Will,

This to me is a satire on all the folk who prepare and use pinups. The whole idea of pinups on the wall at work has been eroded seriously, at least in the USA, because of political correctness and fears that some might see this as demeaning to women or disrespectful to the guys partner/spouse.

Olive-oyl-lilsweetpea1936.jpg

Still frame from the animated cartoon Little Swee' Pea (1936), fallen in the public domain.​

I like the shape of the woman as she reminds me Popeye's girlfriend in spinach cartoons where Popeye got an instant boost of strength and massive muscles by gulping down a whole can of spinach when under attack or faced with an impossible load to lift.

I hope Will is reading this because Asher's juxtaposition with the cartoon character is the best explanation of Will's work. This picture is worth a 1000 words.

When seen in this way, of course it is a pastiche, a homage, a satire and a deliberatly stylised shot. And it shows what a great shot Will has managed and he has achieved his intention

StuartRae

My word, what a furore Will's little Betty Boo has raised!!

My first thought on seeing this was that it was poking fun at the 'glamour' industry. If this is indeed the case then the model's expression, pose, costume and make-up are perfect.
Thanks Will for making me smile. :)

Regards,

Stuart