• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: I'm impressed and humbled...

Nigel Allan

...by the quality and standard of photographer who is attracted to this forum.

At the risk of sounding a photographic snob (which I am - he he) the people who are here and joining tend to have high standards and are looking for more out of photography than the run of the mill chocolate box pics I tend to see in other forums.

This is exciting because it forces me to up my own game and be held to a higher standard even though I am only an occasional hobby photographer who considers himself semi-serious. There is some seriously good talent here and I feel blessed to rub shoulders with you all

Well said, Nigel!

I find styles, locations, subjects, and other photography related thoughts here that aren't generally seen elsewhere on the web, especially in one place. A lot of what is written here is over my head, but it's still an incredible resource for inspiration and learning.

ErikJonas

Banned
...by the quality and standard of photographer who is attracted to this forum.

At the risk of sounding a photographic snob (which I am - he he) the people who are here and joining tend to have high standards and are looking for more out of photography than the run of the mill chocolate box pics I tend to see in other forums.

This is exciting because it forces me to up my own game and be held to a higher standard even though I am only an occasional hobby photographer who considers himself semi-serious. There is some seriously good talent here and I feel blessed to rub shoulders with you all

Thats very well put and I dont know if you feel this way Nigel but its kind of intimidating....Like for me i know i'm not going to post a image thats going to impress anyone here...This is more of a Fine Art crowd...Like my car images are not even going to compare to those of Daniel Buck...

Thats very well put and I dont know if you feel this way Nigel but its kind of intimidating....Like for me i know i'm not going to post a image thats going to impress anyone here...This is more of a Fine Art crowd...Like my car images are not even going to compare to those of Daniel Buck...

Hi Erik,

We all started out at a more modest level than we are now (I hope). We learn each and every day. It takes a bit of time to overcome the technical challenges and develop a vision of our own. There is something interesting in all images, but we strive to exceed 'interesting' and grow into something that touches people's emotions.

Cheers,
Bart

Nigel Allan

Thanks Tom and Erik
Intimidating might a tad strong a word but I know what you mean. It certainly makes me think twice or even thrice before I post something whether I believe it is 'worthy' or up to the standard of others here or what I would like to become recognised for. It makes me reconsider aspects of my images to see if they offer the viewer something more than just a well exposed, in focus shot (let's face it with modern dSLRs the camera does a lot of the basic work for you).

But the critique we get here is honest and very constructive without being nasty or condescending so there is nothing to fear as you know the moderators all have the same goal in mind - to help us help improve our skills and our 'eye', whatever level we are at. All photographs are considered worthy since the person who took them and took the time to post them considers them so. For me this is great as it gives me space to improve what I do without fear of being ridiculed or looked down upon and I hope others feel the same way.

Even feeling slightly intimidated can be positive if it forces me to be more circumspect about my images and how I see things through a lens. I will openly admit that my biggest shortcomings are mainly technical (I believe) and my digital post processing is at sub-kindergarten stage so that's why I don't try and get cute with the finishing too often and try and stick to basics and shots that I find aesthetically pleasing from their subject matter or composition.

I hope that if I find a shot interesting then others will too...and if noone comments on a picture I post then that probably tells me something too :) ha ha

John Angulat

pro member
Intimidating might a tad strong a word but I know what you mean. It certainly makes me think twice or even thrice before I post something whether I believe it is 'worthy' or up to the standard of others here or what I would like to become recognised for. It makes me reconsider aspects of my images to see if they offer the viewer something more than just a well exposed, in focus shot (let's face it with modern dSLRs the camera does a lot of the basic work for you).

But the critique we get here is honest and very constructive without being nasty or condescending so there is nothing to fear as you know the moderators all have the same goal in mind - to help us help improve our skills and our 'eye', whatever level we are at. All photographs are considered worthy since the person who took them and took the time to post them considers them so. For me this is great as it gives me space to improve what I do without fear of being ridiculed or looked down upon and I hope others feel the same way.

Even feeling slightly intimidated can be positive if it forces me to be more circumspect about my images and how I see things through a lens. I will openly admit that my biggest shortcomings are mainly technical (I believe) and my digital post processing is at sub-kindergarten stage so that's why I don't try and get cute with the finishing too often and try and stick to basics and shots that I find aesthetically pleasing from their subject matter or composition.

I hope that if I find a shot interesting then others will too...and if noone comments on a picture I post then that probably tells me something too :) ha ha

Hi Nigel,
We have not had the opportunity to meet before, as I've absented myself from OPF for some time now.
You words ring so true to me.
I'm not nearly as eloquent as you but I must say I believe and feel everything you have said.
My departure was largely due to an overwhelming feeling of inadequacy in the face of other fine photographers who participate here.
That, coupled with a very thin skin, I took many very well intended critques and comments incorrectly.
I've struggled with a way to return here for a very long time, but in the end I realized I missed OPF terribly.
What can be gained here is priceless.
Equally priceless is Asher's patience with me, his advice and his thoughts on how I feel.
He has encouraged me to return, and return I shall.
I hope I may live up to his expectations.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nigel,
We have not had the opportunity to meet before, as I've absented myself from OPF for some time now.
You words ring so true to me.
I'm not nearly as eloquent as you but I must say I believe and feel everything you have said.
My departure was largely due to an overwhelming feeling of inadequacy in the face of other fine photographers who participate here.
That, coupled with a very thin skin, I took many very well intended critques and comments incorrectly.
I've struggled with a way to return here for a very long time, but in the end I realized I missed OPF terribly.
What can be gained here is priceless.
Equally priceless is Asher's patience with me, his advice and his thoughts on how I feel.
He has encouraged me to return, and return I shall.
I hope I may live up to his expectations.
Guys,

Gradually folk get to recognize that we are all really quite humble about where we are in the entire universe of things. That's our true starting point for getting perspective. In some way, the culture of OPF is a kind of stabilization platform for viewing our own work. We don't expect perfection. However, when someone works on their ideas, wants honest feedback, we're here for them. Photography with ideas and technique, well presented is so sweet for us. I personally care what happens to a picture here and what will come next. For me, each photograph is the result of a lot of small decisions and many sacrifices of ways of doing things, so we ask each other questions, some of which might be for our own use and some for the essence of the picture's value.

In OPF, beyond social fun, which is an important aspect, trusting that others want the very best for one's work is critical. Whether that work is from a mother, (busy with 3 children), a man (with two mistresses and) weekend weddings or a master B&W photographer, (who's work re -sells in Sotheby's), respect for each is equal. It's just one image, one image of a series but still just one picture to be considered! We want to enjoy it, ask "What might make it work?" and perhaps open up our own view of what's possible for our own horizons.

Undoing "givens", (things thought already well framed, what's significant in our worlds), is part of what photography does. If we don't actually do what we're about, everyone is short-changed. Frankly, I grit my teeth when there are attitudinal or dismissive remarks. Our protection is by example; it's care, honesty and nurturing, as well as giving, each according to our means. It's this which trickles down to make OPF a valuable community. Those who have a one-off question or think the gear is everything self-select out of here. We're left with a small precious few, but who we want to be with. I too am equally impressed by the quality of the work here. We see people grow.

Can you imagine how thrilled I am to see photographs constantly improve. How great it is to see Rachel persevere, to be sharing really fascinating work and then, for example, series being steadily built up over time, even without the photographer necessarily realizing, until quite late, that's happening. I think of Cem's drive, interest (or even "struggle") over the last few years to image, what I have termed his "Portals" series. Now I cannot look at any page in OPF without feeling so good at the small home we have made here together. We are open to new ways of seeing things and welcome anyone who will share pictures, knowledge, insights, humor, humanity and ideas. We love people and life. We want the best to survive, but we fight all sorts of delusions to know what that is. That's who are in this yellow tour bus, your fellow tourists!

Let's inspire each other and hold up the lantern to life and our world with photographs, snaps and insight to where we are, what sort of values we have, and what we'll leave to our children.

Asher

Last edited:

ErikJonas

Banned

John....Hello i'm new here....I hope i get to see your work when its posted...I too am at times too thin skinned and like you Asher has been most patient with me....Asher is kind of like the best dad in the world and helping to guide everyone who comes here....Not just Asher the mods here are pretty good guys.......I remember early on Rachel telling me what a wonderful group there was at this forum.....Speaking of Rachel where is she....Rachel where are you i'm running out of crayons.........Erik.....

Mike Shimwell

Thanks Tom and Erik

Nigel

It's great that you have such a positive view of OPF - that's a credit to Asher and everyone else who participates. Asher has always dealt graciously with me and it was a great releif to me to find somewhere where I could share photos and receive feedback that was actually constructive and humble. I have likened it to sitting in a living room sharing pictures with like minded friends.

I was interested in your comment about 'what I want to become recognised for'. I have found that increasingly there are particular subjects and approaches that appeal to me and so I tend to focus on them, with diversions from time to time to keep me moving. Certainly OPF has helped become aware of this in myself - not just by critique, but more importantly through the process of me asking myself why I am posting an image and what it adds.

This is a separate question from 'being worthy', which is likely about other peoples' judgement of our work and is a more difficult topic. However, I wouldn't want anyone not to post because they lacked confidence or were afraid of the sort of hostile reaction that might be obtained in some other places. One of the key areas that we think about, and that I have been encouraged by, is understanding how the photographer delivers their intent from before exposure (capture!) to delivering the finished print, and achieving that is a measure of success far greater than obtaining others approval. Of course, as John said if you are thin skinned then critique can be difficult, but I hope that the atmosphere here is such that it is given (and recognised to be given) in humility and to help build rather than tear down. Hopefully that will help build confidence to here and consider what is given.

Mike

Wendy Thurman

Guys,

Gradually folk get to recognize that we are all really quite humble about where we are in the entire universe of things. That's our true starting point for getting perspective. In some way, the culture of OPF is a kind of stabilization platform for viewing our own work. We don't expect perfection. However, when someone works on their ideas, wants honest feedback, we're here for them. Photography with ideas and technique, well presented is so sweet for us. I personally care what happens to a picture here and what will come next. For me, each photograph is the result of a lot of small decisions and many sacrifices of ways of doing things, so we ask each other questions, some of which might be for our own use and some for the essence of the picture's value.

In OPF, beyond social fun, which is an important aspect, trusting that others want the very best for one's work is critical. Whether that work is from a mother, (busy with 3 children), a man (with two mistresses and) weekend weddings or a master B&W photographer, (who's work re -sells in Sotheby's), respect for each is equal. It's just one image, one image of a series but still just one picture to be considered! We want to enjoy it, ask "What might make it work?" and perhaps open up our own view of what's possible for our own horizons.

Undoing "givens", (things thought already well framed, what's significant in our worlds), is part of what photography does. If we don't actually do what we're about, everyone is short-changed. Frankly, I grit my teeth when there are attitudinal or dismissive remarks. Our protection is by example; it's care, honesty and nurturing, as well as giving, each according to our means. It's this which trickles down to make OPF a valuable community. Those who have a one-off question or think the gear is everything self-select out of here. We're left with a small precious few, but who we want to be with. I too am equally impressed by the quality of the work here. We see people grow.

Can you imagine how thrilled I am to see photographs constantly improve. How great it is to see Rachel persevere, to be sharing really fascinating work and then, for example, series being steadily built up over time, even without the photographer necessarily realizing, until quite late, that's happening. I think of Cem's drive, interest (or even "struggle") over the last few years to image, what I have termed his "Portals" series. Now I cannot look at any page in OPF without feeling so good at the small home we have made here together. We are open to new ways of seeing things and welcome anyone who will share pictures, knowledge, insights, humor, humanity and ideas. We love people and life. We want the best to survive, but we fight all sorts of delusions to know what that is. That's who are in this yellow tour bus, your fellow tourists!

Let's inspire each other and hold up the lantern to life and our world with photographs, snaps and insight to where we are, what sort of values we have, and what we'll leave to our children.

Asher

Very well said, Asher, and it bears quoting in its entirety.

I've gotten a lot more from this forum than I have given, though I try to give back what I can. I am proud to be a member here although I am not a prolific one.

I would like to thank you all- each and every member- for making this the place as special as it is.

Kind Regards,

Wendy

Jameson Smith

As a very new member here, it's the type of attitude that is being demonstrated in this thread that instantly drew me in at OPF and the reason I'm sure I will stay here for good. I look forward to every instance that I get to see what's new and hate when I don't have enough time to get through everything or stay on. It's a great community and I'm happy to be slowly coming a part of it... one sub forum at a time ;)