Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Sports

Sports Traditional Sports, as well as Dance, and other organized activites which involve human bodies in motion.

Old January 17th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Default I agree.... it was freezing

I can vouch for Hélène's assessment that "it was freezing" at Latille's cyclo-cross meeting at the weekend. Cycling related sports aren't my thing but I do enjoy capturing the faces of people trying to reach a higher level of effort and endurance. It's a colourful sport with colourful characters and would be a pleasure to behold on a sunny spring afternoon. Latille's January climate attempted (and summarily succeeded) in erradicating all but the last vestige of enthusiasm I have for shooting cyclo-cross anywhere north or south of the horse latitudes.

Back home with another log chucked on the wood burner and a dabble in Lightroom served to lift the despondancy a little although I'd processed 50 shots before I could feel my toes again.

Cyclo-cross but barely a bicycle to be seen....do they still deserve to be in the sports forum?

Bob

Old January 17th, 2012, 11:19 PM

Quite sharp pictures. Did you use AF or the old method (prefocus and wait)?
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:01 AM

These were using AF Jerome. I had a couple of 1DMkIV's in AI Servo mode, a 70-200/2.8 on one and a 135/2 on the other. I usually take pictures for the local football club and I've got into the habit of over sharpening a little so that they can grab the images from the website and print if required.
I find that the 1DMkIV has excellent focus tracking when there's a reasonable amount of contrast from the subject although some slower lenses (f/4 - f/5.6) don't quite meet with the same success rate.

Bob
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:27 PM

I've a horrible feeling I might look like that on my bike - less the bright clothes of course (English reserve)

At least you had a nice afternoon out shooting.

Mike
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shimwell View Post
I've a horrible feeling I might look like that on my bike - less the bright clothes of course (English reserve)
"English reserve".....you've either got a good memory or you're middle class tending towards the gentry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shimwell View Post
At least you had a nice afternoon out shooting.
Women's five-a-side football in a heated gymnasium this weekend....payback time

Bob
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Latham View Post
"English reserve".....you've either got a good memory or you're middle class tending towards the gentry.

Women's five-a-side football in a heated gymnasium this weekend....payback time

Bob

I'd like to think I'm tending towards gentry, but I fear that's sadly not the case. My memory must just go back a bit far:)

Enjoy the payback!

Mike
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:25 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Latham View Post
Cycling related sports aren't my thing but I do enjoy capturing the faces of people trying to reach a higher level of effort and endurance.

Bob,

I have only seen such grimaces commonly in women's sports. Men usually are trained to hide their emotions more, no matter what. Maybe it's not emotions we are seeing, rather shortness of breath, LOL?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
[CENTER][IMG]
......Men usually are trained to hide their emotions more, no matter what.......
Asher

There's certainly evidence that this is true and the more "elite" riders are less visually interesting as they seek to betray as little as possible to their fellow competitors......for example

Hidden emotions......correct execution

However, there are moments when the defences are breached and a "Gallic Shrug" simply doesn't suffice. Anyone within visual or aural range of this fellow became aware of his "emotions" the very instant that his backside attained a greater altitude than his head.

Hidden emotions "no matter what"......failed

(I've now the hang of centering too....thanks for tip)
Bob