• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How welldo you hang?

Jerome Marot

I have never seen you so upset, Asher. Don't let the Aussies get on your nerves. Tom has a perfectly valid point: some people have genuine talent or simply enjoy producing works which pleases them and their friends but are too humble to recognize that what they produced has as much value as what sometimes hangs in a museum. They see themselves down in a pit and the genuine artists on a pedestal in an ivory tower.

So they don't consider themselves artists. Even when they are talented. They may even stop taking pictures (or drawings, sculpture, music, etc...). It is a great waste.

At the same time, some pretentious shmuck hangs dead toads in a world-class museum. Upside down. And the critics go insane on the great symbolism of the toads and associated batrachians. Or maybe it was not a toad, but a fountain, a view of the Rhine river or something more abstract I have not quite figured out.

It is a great waste indeed.

'There’s lots of turgid detritus from the nineteenth century, for example, that just perpetuates a tired florid cliché'
Wow, Murray. I'm impressed. Did you make that up or was it something you read somewhere? If you came up with it all by yourself, you must know something i don't. Here I was thinking the 19C artists were a sincere and resourceful bunch. I guess you're right though. Its a bit like 60's music. It seemed alright at the time but looking back it was a bit turgid as well.
So basically you're telling us the galleries don't know what they're talking about 'cause you don't like the stuff. Is that it?
No, I didn't explain what I really meant. Most people would probably say some of the greatest art in the history of the world comes from the nineteenth century. I had in mind a specific syndrome that I know applies to some major galleries in South East Australia but that may not apply to other countries such as Darwin. This wasn't purchases of the impressionists or the French realists like Corot, it was obscure painters that no-one has heard of now, fashionable at the time but ultimately pretentious and vapid. It's not that I don't like them, modern curators don't either and don't know what to do with them. So I'm saying that in some circumstances the galleries don't know what they're talking about in the eyes of another generation of galleries.

I'm sorry it didn't make any sense for you (I think thats what you said - almost). I'll try and use some bigger words for you next time.
What I was trying to imply was that if you lined up all the words and the T-shirts and they still didn't make sense then maybe that would be "art". Perhaps in order to avoid an avalanche of beer coming through my monitor I might add that there was an element of the facetious in that comment, but maybe that would just make the beer more likely so perhaps I won't.