Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Sports

Sports Traditional Sports, as well as Dance, and other organized activites which involve human bodies in motion.

Old May 20th, 2016, 07:27 AM

Default Great Ski Day in the Cascades

I was up on a couple of little mountains near my house for some great spring skiing this week. I'd been up in the area climbing a few days before and spotted some good ski lines, but needed to come back and clear a way through some tough brush first so we could reasonably carry our skis up into this valley without a trail.

I did the recon and clearing a couple days before, my young friends did the step kicking up the steep snow, then dropped in first for my camera.

I'm going to exceed the suggested limits for photos with an addition to do this in a trip report story telling style, which reflects my documentary photo effort that day. It can be quite a challenge to keep up with these hard charging young bucks up a mountain, get out my camera, shoot, stash it safely, ski down myself, repeat on another mountain, then hike out without twisting my ankle or falling in the river!

Chris in the easy brush, our first mountain above

North Face of Del Campo - 1st run

Chris drops in 1st

Jeff goes for it

Our ski line on Lewis Pk.

Climbing Lewis
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:36 AM

Default More pics

Exceeding the 6 shot limit.

Pano on top of Lewis (click for large version)

Chris skis Lewis

Hiking (esp. with skis) off trail in this area is a challenge
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:40 AM

Hi, Jim,

This series is wondrous in so many ways—the activity itself, so dangerous and yet with a beautiful result; the "players", skilled and brave; the stunning scenery; and the photography, itself wonderful in many ways.

Bravi to all involved (and the word seems especially apt here)!

Best regards,

Doug
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:29 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Chris drops in 1st

Jeff goes for it

I am amazed at the images and bravery! What's it about us that we take such risk for a gasp of beauty?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:06 AM

Thanks guys, but in all honesty these climbs/descents didn't take any bravery, just skill. The two pics you highlight Asher are dramatic, but the angle relents a few hundred feet below without any cliffs or other dangers so a fall would not be fatal (hence not truly extreme even if it looks like it). The snow conditions were perfect - 0 avalanche danger, great surface for turning, and temperatures to keep it all that way. My partners and I have been skiing since we were kids, and doing this back-country climbing stuff very actively for a long time (40+ yr in my case) so it's like walking to us. On top of that these mountains are in our backyard (about an hour drive to the trail head) and I've got a spiritual connection with them.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 08:28 AM

Hi, Jim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dockery View Post
Thanks guys, but in all honesty these climbs/descents didn't take any bravery, just skill. The two pics you highlight Asher are dramatic, but the angle relents a few hundred feet below without any cliffs or other dangers so a fall would not be fatal (hence not truly extreme even if it looks like it). The snow conditions were perfect - 0 avalanche danger, great surface for turning, and temperatures to keep it all that way. My partners and I have been skiing since we were kids, and doing this back-country climbing stuff very actively for a long time (40+ yr in my case) so it's like walking to us. On top of that these mountains are in our backyard (about an hour drive to the trail head) and I've got a spiritual connection with them.
All that is wonderful, and actually adds to the wonder of what you do and what you bring to us.

Best regards,

Doug
Old August 17th, 2016, 01:24 PM

Stunning pics Doug. Thanks for sharing!