• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Opinions of the FujiFilm X10 compact

Nick Masson

Hi All,
Just wondering if anybody has any opinions or insight on the FujiFilm X10. I'm looking to get a small, compact digi, since I only shoot film now, and i'm hoping to get something that produces quality images. I like the X10, but it's a little pricey for what I want; the X10 is closer to my range... I'm mainly concerned with the barrel/telescoping lens; in my experience this is where most consumer grade compacts tend to fail first. Optics is also of great concern. Any opinions, or suggestions? Alternatives being perhaps an LX-5 (though I would really prefer having a viewfinder...).

Thanks a bunch,
-Nick

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi All,
Just wondering if anybody has any opinions or insight on the FujiFilm X10. I'm looking to get a small, compact digi, since I only shoot film now, and i'm hoping to get something that produces quality images. ... I'm mainly concerned with the barrel/telescoping lens; in my experience this is where most consumer grade compacts tend to fail first. Optics is also of great concern. Any opinions, or suggestions? Alternatives being perhaps an LX-5 (though I would really prefer having a viewfinder...).

Thanks a bunch,
-Nick

Nick,

"I like the X10, but it's a little pricey for what I want; the X10 is closer to my range" Do you mean you like the fuji X100?

Have you seen this interesting report by Michael Nagel? Also Fahim's thread on compact cameras is worth reading too.

Asher

Asher Kelman

BTW, Nick, I see you are in Boulder Colorado!

Now that's a very unusual part of America. How many places have such a lot of Buddhist places of worship or deer roaming around at the wooded fringes of the roads? How many places can one drive 30 minutes and see amazing waterfalls or climb hills to see ancient strands of trees?

I hope you can photograph these. Any camera!!!

Asher

Nick Masson

Thanks Asher : ) Those are many of the key reasons for my having moved here! Just had a family of dear walking through the neighborhood the other day!

Asher Kelman

Thanks Asher : ) Those are many of the key reasons for my having moved here! Just had a family of dear walking through the neighborhood the other day!

So now I'm looking forward to new pictures!

and is the waterfall still frozen?

Asher

Nick Masson

No spring is here in full force, and the creek is swelling beautifully... Unfortunately I haven't had much opportunity to really engage in my photography while here in Boulder; hopefully that will change. I have plans to go to Uganda mid-summer, however, and hope to get some good photos. I'll try to throw some up when I get back!

I also picked up the x10 as it turns out. I am quite pleased with the image quality, but would really have liked to have at least a minimal amount of info in the viewfinder -- having anything but auto-mode is pretty much useless if you can't get f/stop and shutter speed in the viewfinder. Even a permanent, etched cross-hair in the middle of the glass would have been good to determine the focal-point for AF...

Not a bad little camera overall.