Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Printing

Printing All aspects of the digital printing process. All printer types and brands, as well as press and other methods. Also framing, and display.

Old October 28th, 2015, 07:02 PM

Default Question:Dibond Mounting

Has anyone used Dibond mounting for prints? If so what are the liabilities, is it a good system for archival purposes? What is your overal experience of them?

Thank you for any feedback!
James
Old October 28th, 2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
Has anyone used Dibond mounting for prints? If so what are the liabilities, is it a good system for archival purposes? What is your overal experience of them?

Thank you for any feedback!
James
I haven't but I believe Nicolas Claris has. If he misses your post, you could try to message him about it.
:-) Maggie
Old October 28th, 2015, 08:10 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I have substantial experience. You need to use a service that uses a cement membrane which functions perfectly at warm temperatures. Certain European methods of fixing the print to the Dibond fail at 85 degrees Fahrenheit. From what I have seen the print peels away and is not soiled with any residue of the glue material. So theoretically, one can remount the print on new Dibond.

My source is very reliable and works well on a variety of papers.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 29th, 2015, 12:47 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
I have substantial experience. You need to use a service that uses a cement membrane which functions perfectly at warm temperatures. Certain European methods of fixing the print to the Dibond fail at 85 degrees Fahrenheit. From what I have seen the print peels away and is not soiled with any residue of the glue material. So theoretically, one can remount the print on new Dibond.

My source is very reliable and works well on a variety of papers.

Asher
Hi James,

Asher refers to a problem I had with some prints made on Hanemülle paper…
This is the first time I used this paper and won't again.

I've had hundreds (yes hundreds) prints on satin or glossy paper (200/300 g/sqm) glued on 2mm Dibond covered with a protecting satin film.
I have always been happy with these, some are still on wall for many years (one in my office is at least 6 years old).
Some labs do propose to print directly on Dibond. It is less expensive but the quality is not the same (they don't use the same printer.)

Also, the lab I work with for 15 years (Dupon) uses HP printers (can't tell which ones).
Previously I used Lambda prints with the same system on Dibond, but i do prefer now the results by the HP inkjet printers.

Despite my bad experience with the Hannemüle paper (and a different lab than Dupon) I do recommend Dibond.
It does not bend with temp, it is very stable. The only thing to care about is the corners, if you bend them, the real only solution is to cut the Dibond (with a circular saw at a wood workshop)…

Hope it helps…

Last edited by Nicolas Claris; October 29th, 2015 at 07:26 AM. Reason: typos
Old October 29th, 2015, 01:42 AM

Nicolas,

Can you find out what the material that was used by Dupon for getting the two surfaces to adhere? Is there a sheet of material that is put between the print and the Dibond? what is that material. I will then check what we use here on the Bangladesh boat I had mounted which is fine.

What paper is the printed on?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 29th, 2015, 05:24 PM

Maggie, Asher, Nicolas

Much appreciated ! I currently use Silver gelatin prints Ilford Fibre based paper framed with a matt and ultra view glass. I am considering this Dibond process by the same people that make my prints. They say that it is dimensionally stable and tough. Double sided archival aluminum with a polyethylene core that will not bow. It's half the weight of the same thickness of Aluminum sheets and is supposed to be extremely rugged.

Dibond® is a composite display material made of two thin sheets of archival quality aluminum with a poly resin core. A lightweight alternative to solid aluminum, only 1/3 the weight. Dibond® comes with a white coating, which gives your photos a smooth clean look.

James
Old October 30th, 2015, 01:21 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
Maggie, Asher, Nicolas

Much appreciated ! I currently use Silver gelatin prints Ilford Fibre based paper framed with a matt and ultra view glass. I am considering this Dibond process by the same people that make my prints. They say that it is dimensionally stable and tough. Double sided archival aluminum with a polyethylene core that will not bow. It's half the weight of the same thickness of Aluminum sheets and is supposed to be extremely rugged.

Dibond® is a composite display material made of two thin sheets of archival quality aluminum with a poly resin core. A lightweight alternative to solid aluminum, only 1/3 the weight. Dibond® comes with a white coating, which gives your photos a smooth clean look.

James
Hi James
I confirm all tech infos there.
I would make a test first of the same file (or a part of) printed direct on Dibond and on paper (glossy or satin laminated paper to see if the result of the print direct on Dibond match your expectation…

Last edited by Nicolas Claris; October 31st, 2015 at 12:42 AM. Reason: typo : satin paper, not stain paper!
Old October 30th, 2015, 01:27 AM

Nicolas,

What is the name of the adhesive "glue" sheet that is put between the Dibond and your Hahnemuhle paper. I used Hahnemuhle paper with Dibond and it didn't come off in the heat.

So it may be that we are using different adhesives!

Asher

Old October 30th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Nicolas,

What is the name of the adhesive "glue" sheet that is put between the Dibond and your Hahnemuhle paper. I used Hahnemuhle paper with Dibond and it didn't come off in the heat.

So it may be that we are using different adhesives!

Asher
I have no idea.
The shop is closed (over) now…
Old October 30th, 2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
I have no idea.
The shop is closed (over) now…
It would be great to know so I can remount your prints. What kind of Hanemuelle paper was it? Baryta perhaps?

Maybe on Monday the shop will have info. That would be most helpful.

Ashwr

Old October 30th, 2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Hi James
I confirm all tech infos there.
I would make a test first of the same file (or a part of) printed direct on Dibond and on paper (glossy or satin laminated paper to see if the result of the print direct on Dibond match your expectation…
Hello Nicolas

Thank you for the reassurance and feedback.. greatly appreciated!

James

Last edited by Nicolas Claris; October 31st, 2015 at 12:43 AM. Reason: typo : satin paper, not stain paper!
Old October 31st, 2015, 12:43 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
It would be great to know so I can remount your prints. What kind of Hanemuelle paper was it? Baryta perhaps?

Ashwr
I'll try to investigate…
Old October 31st, 2015, 06:41 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:

Ashwr
Hi Asher

got the infos…

Paper: Hanhnemühle ultra smooth bright 305g. 100% cotton
Glue: 3M colle définitive:
French ref.
US Ref. could be
Old October 31st, 2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Hi Asher

got the infos…

Paper: Hanhnemühle ultra smooth bright 305g. 100% cotton
Glue: 3M colle définitive:
French ref.
US Ref. could be

Thanks and impressed you found the umlaut, ü, on your keyboard too! :) I will check with Carlos, my printer.

Asher

Old February 4th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Administrator

I am in London's airport and I do not have the time to tell you much more but, I just received when I was about to fly from Portugal two modest prints 30*50 cm printed in Digigraphy using Diasec method.
I just had a quick glimpse on the boot of my daughter's car but they looked fabulous.
Both are certified Digigraphy prints.

Before I sent them to print I visited the shop and I have been talking to the owner. there I was able to see some gorgeous prints some using reflective plexiglass - I am not sure if that is the right name for it - and some non reflective surfaces. Just gorgeous !

Now, I hope to be able to afford some Diasec prints !

Perhaps it is rather difficult to get Diasec prints in US but here we can get them easily !! LOL
You can send your files to print in Portugal and he will be able to return the prints in perfect conditions !
Want the contact ? No commission involved !
He sends prints to Canada or US. Correctly packed !
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder